“loved this place”

Hotel Cabanas Tulum
Ranked #9 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We loved this place....Very warm welcome, hospitable and laid back, a few minutes from the Tulum ruins. Perfect beachfront and friendly, helpful staff. Simple rooms nicer than much more expensive resorts. Highly recommend...hope to go back! Not ideal if you want a big swimming pool but we did not miss that at all. Ocean right in front of our room.

Room Tip: get a beach front room
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Amy F
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Cabañas Tulum for your Beach vacation in Tulum.
We are enthusiastic and happy to read what lovely time you had at our resort.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Came here for our honeymoon and had an amazing experience. We loved our partial sea view room - it felt more private than the beach front rooms. Our room was simple, but the bathroom was beautiful, I felt like I was in a spa.

Ziggy's is awesome, the breakfast includes not just an entree, but you can also get a latte and a fresh juice included as well!

The location is awesome, lots of restaurants within walking distance. Also, the staff is really helpful. Everyone is so nice. We were even surprised with a bottle of Champagne and flower petals, all complimentary! I will definitely stay here the next time too, because it's such a good value, the location is exceptional, and the staff is awesome.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ctulum, Front Office Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear guest,

Congratulations again on your marriage. We are so happy you had such a lovely time at our Beach hotel and could fully enjoy your honeymoon.
We hope to see you again next year, maybe for your first anniversary.

Best wishes y gracias

Reviewed 10 February 2014

Although we can't review the actual hotel, as we haven't stayed yet (but we definitely will someday), we had an incredible experience at this hotel yesterday. Our group of 5 went to spend the day at Ziggy's Beach Club. One of our party very unfortunately had a medical emergency on the beach and the hotel staff very professionally and quickly helped us arrange for a doctor. The staff was very caring, helpful and went beyond the call of duty to help us. We were so impressed and hope we can come back someday under better circumstances and stay at the Resort. It is so beautiful and the beach incredible.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2014

Dear guests,

Thank you for your nice comment about Ziggy's staff. We have passed your high chorus of praise on to their manager and crew. Everyone is happy that you are well now.
Again, we appreciate your nice feedback and hope to welcome you as our guest in the near future.

Gracias

Reviewed 5 February 2014

We loved staying at Cabanas Tulum. We had been lucky enough to find Ziggy’s (the attached restaurant) for lunch a year ago when we were on our honeymoon. We instantly fell in love with the laid back atmosphere and smaller hotels on the beach road in Tulum, and decided to come back this year to the area. Cabanas Tulum and its sister hotel had just been renovated and since we knew we loved Ziggy’s already, we came here and were so happy that we did! All of the hotel and restaurant staff were very friendly, and everything was simple, clean, and allowed you to just enjoy your relaxing vacation. The room we stayed in (partial sea view, 2nd floor) was great. We got a fantastic breeze, could see & hear the ocean, and were steps from the beach. While it was a very simple & basic room, it was all we needed since we hardly spent any time in there. The beach was perfect, it was “crowded” according to the locals, but we were sometimes practically the only ones out there, reading books or running on the beach or swimming. It was very windy our whole trip and we had some rain storms every day, but we also had plenty of sunshine. I know it helps others to know the Pros & Cons of a vacation, so here are ours: PROS – the laid back hotel, the front desk staff especially Aubrey and Adriana, the food at Ziggy’s (especially the tuna nachos for lunch/dinner, the fish tacos, and the free breakfasts including the Mexican eggs and the Energetic juice!), the amazingly beautiful beach, and its proximity to other great restaurants & bars too including Can Sushi which we LOVED, and the bar at La Luna that had a “Stairs to Heaven” from the beach with fun live music and laid back vibe. The time of year we went (late Jan-early Feb) was the perfect weather… not too hot, but sunny every day mixed with a few storms, and not really very many bugs. I was worried about mosquitos so I brought bug spray but we rarely needed it. The nights were cooler and breezy so we slept great. We loved that this hotel did have A/C at night, even though we didn’t need it every night. Also loved that we could literally remain barefoot all week. Finally, loved that all of the other fellow Americans gathered at Mateo’s sports bar up the beach road to watch the Superbowl! The very few CONS – the internet was patchy. We knew that in advance it wasn’t in the rooms, just the lobby & Ziggy’s, but it was still really slow and kept cutting out. Also, some of the restaurants weren’t quite as inexpensive as we had hoped (and many only take cash), although still not as expensive as some fancier resorts. The only other con was that our trip wasn’t long enough!! Thank you Cabanas Tulum, we’ll be back!

3  Thank Christine M
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful feedback and words about our Hotel and staff.
We are truly honored and happy to have you had as our guest. We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon here in Tulum paradise.

Muchas gracias,

Reviewed 2 February 2014

We just got home from 5 nights at Cabanas Tulum. I choose this spot because I had been there 2 years ago and had a good experience.

We stayed in a partial ocean view (the second row back). My sister had a lower level, we had an upper level. A small path leads you right to the ocean and you can hear it and see a peak. Good enough for me since we are so darn close to beach. 30 second walk.

They has updated bathrooms and the decor was white. I like a little more color but they have a nice white crisp theme so that is great.

They greeted us with nice juice drinks, they were ready for our arrival, the bell boy was super friendly and helpful. All were helpful and nice and it is a very welcoming place. I asked for softer pillows and and extra blanket and we got that right away.

BEST BEACH ever. This stretch is amazing. Great walk from either direction, nice hotel restaurant. We ate there every AM, and several evenings. Great walkable eating places to get to from there.... Taxi's up and down the beach road and easy to get to catch a ride into town or down the road if you don't want to walk.

Food in this area is as pricy as the rooms. FYI.

I would stay here again in a moment.

Room Tip: Don't be scared to take the rooms with out beach front- they are super close. BUT if you want t...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank saramariam
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear guest,

Muchas gracias, thank you for choosing Cabañas Tulum for your Beach vacation in Tulum.
We are truly happy and honored to read what lovely time you had at our resort.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you and your sister back in the near future.

Best wishes,

Reviewed 30 January 2014

Staff was very friendly and helped us with everything, from transportation to where to dine. Food was amazing at Ziggy's, as well as Happy Hour! We stayed 5 nights and the room was comfortable. Very clean and simple- was so nice not having phone , internet, or TV. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was large. This was a girl's trip-3 of us- and it was awesome. The beach was steps away and so relaxing, as well as the pool. I truly felt that I was on vacation. We got to witness the turtles hatching, which was spectacular! I was impressed with the contact with the staff, ie Dan and Gabby, before and after the trip-answering all my questions. Planning to visit again.

Room Tip: Beach front! That's where we stayed.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
ctulum, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for staying at Cabañas Tulum. The whole team is very enthusiastic to read what a lovely time you had at our Hotel.
We appreciated your feedback and are looking forward to having you as our guests again in the future.

Gracias

Reviewed 24 January 2014

Overall, we had a nice stay at Cabanas Tulum. The location is perfect and the rooms are nice.

The Pros:

Rooms:
We stayed in an ocean front room # 18 and #17 I believe. The rooms are simple, clean, and pretty. We knew in advance that we would have to be switching rooms half way through our stay due to availability. Not a big deal at all.

The ceiling fans in both of the rooms were noisy. They had a noticeably loud buzzing sound that I think most people would eventually tune out, but for those with noise sensitivities I can see it being a nuisance after a while. Solution- leave the fans off and sweat a little during the day.

We stayed during the rainy season, so mosquitoes are an unfortunate reality. The price for paradise! Sadly for us, a swarm of mosquitoes set up shop right in the corner of our patio. So spending time sitting out front meant getting bitten up, or lathering on obscene amounts of bug spray. We didn't like either option so we opted not to sit on the patio while in Rm. 17. The patio in Rm. 18 was perfect.

Beds were comfy, perhaps a bit more on the firmer side, but comfy nonetheless. The decor was simple, but tasteful. The showers had comfortably warm water. It just took a few seconds for it to warm up. This is great, because there are hotels in Tulum that do not have any hot water!

Service:
The Concierges were very friendly and attentive. They speak several languages which is awesome for non-Spanish speakers. The wait staff at Ziggy Beach (the on-site restaurant) had great food and accepted credit cards! A rarity in Tulum. The concierge can book your airport transfers in advance and can bill it to your room. A HUGE convenience!

Beach:
The beach is perfect. In fact, it's so perfect that there was a photo shoot taking place directly outside of our rooms! We thought that was pretty cool.

We never had a problem finding beach chairs or beds. The waitstaff checked in periodically to take drink orders. Nothing but pure beauty and relaxation! It really is one of the best beaches in the world.

Time for the Cons:

Medical preparedness:
Unfortunately for us, my husband came down with a stomach bug at the end of our stay.... in the middle of the night. Not pretty! Clearly, since the hotel is not a mega all-inclusive resort, we figured they wouldn't have a doctor on site, plus it was 2am! However, I was disappointed that they had zero medical supplies available for guests aside from band aids. Not even Alka-seltzer or Tylenol for purchase, which I would have gladly paid for.

When I asked if a doctor could be called (my husband was running a high temperature and couldn't keep any food down), their response was " We don't have a number for a doctor.". I find this hard to believe. How can a hotel... in a prime Mexican tourist destination... not have any access to any doctor information? Tourists get sick all the time! We were told instead that we could go to the health center close to town by cab. They did not know if the health center accepted credit cards (we were at the end of our trip and money was running low), and really didn't have any valuable information to share with us.

After several trips back and forth to my room and the lobby, I finally decided to look up a doctor on my own as my husband's condition was getting worse. I was able to use the lobby's internet signal to find a 24 hour on-call doctor in Playa del Carmen. I gave this information to the front desk person (an overnight security guard), who then had to get manager's permission to call the doctor. I was shocked to see that the security guard had to use his own personal cell phone to call the doctor, rather than the hotel phone. That didn't seem right to me since I'm assuming the guard probably isn't rolling in cash.

Finally, after about an hour later the doctor arrived and gave my husband much needed medication. At the time my husbands temp had 'cooled' down to 101 degrees and he was quite dehydrated. The doctor was phenomenal and even gave us Pedialyte because he knew that it would be difficult to keep him hydrated in the heat. We still had to pay cash ($240 US), but it was well worth it!

Water:
At check in they give each guest a bottle of water for you to drink during your trip. As you probably know, it's not recommended for foreign tourists to drink the tap water in Mexico. You can refill the bottles in the lobby as often as you like. I think this is a great idea, however, the bottles were the mini 8 oz versions. This meant that my husband and I had to make about 6 trips daily to the water cooler to refill our bottles. I would have appreciated a full size 16 oz bottle. The constant trips got annoying after a while.

Internet:
Tulum is a gorgeous place and deserves your full attention. I completely understand the need to disconnect. However, there are not a lot of nightlife options in the area during the week after 9pm. If you've grown tired from drinking at the bar, the nights can get a little long. Having the option to connect to the internet would have been nice to fill in the gaps.

In Rm. 17 we were able to get bits of the internet here and there which made watching a show on Netflix slow, but possible. We were fine with that. However, when I needed to tend to my sick husband AND find a doctor to help him, this was a serious nuisance. I had to keep going to the lobby to get enough signal to search Google ( and also to refill his water bottles). Had my husband not gotten sick, perhaps this wouldn't have been an issue for us. But he did, so it was.

Summary: Meh
Overall, our stay at the hotel was okay. Not bad, but not great either. We may or may not go back to this hotel in the future, but I think we probably won't. It's pretty unacceptable to be in the service industry in Mexico and not have any medical supplies or contacts. There are a lot of other similarly priced hotels on the strip that offer the same amenities or more. If we go back to Tulum, I think we would give another establishment a chance first. Nonetheless, this place is beautiful and, if you stay healthy, I think most people would really enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank aparad2
ctulum, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Cabanas Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear guest,

We thank you on behalf of the entire Cabañas Tulum team for your recent stay at our beach hotel and for your important feedback.

Firstly, we would like to apologize for the incorrect information which was given to you by our night guard as we have two doctors available 24h who come to the Hotel within 20 minutes.
With the regards to the medication, it is true, as of Hotel policies we are not allowed to give out any medicine (or Aspirin and Alka-Seltzer) to guests without a prior medical prescription.
We hope you understand, however we are sorry the night guard did not explain this well to you and could not help you immediately with the correct phone number.

We thank you again for letting us know about this situation and we will make sure all our staff, whether on day or night duty, are acting in conformity with the Hotel standard and service.

Thank you and we hope to see you again here in Tulum.

Best regards,