“Just OK”

Tulum Hemingway Romantic Cabanas
Ranked #39 of 92 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 March 2013

We stayed one night at Hemingway and were glad it wasn't loger. Simple, not well cleaned cabana with a really small queen bed, the sheets and pillows felt and smelled damp. Did not sleep well! Breakfast was pretty poor, the staff was friendly but very confused. Check in was at 3.00 but the room wasnt ready until 5.00. Prices are ok by Tulum standards, but we stayed at Posada Lamar just three minutes down the beach for the same price, and that is much nicer. Would not recommend Hemingway.

Room Tip: The rooms on the "jungle side" appear to be nicer w bigger beds.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

We stayed in a Jungle Cabana, which is located on the other side of the road from the beach. This wasn't an issue for us as we are the kind of guests who get up and get on with daily activities rather than hanging out on the beach all day. It is also consistently breezy in Tulum so being back from the beach a bit meant a bit of protection from wind noise. I'm not sure if paying the extra to stay right on the beach is worth it since there are plenty of beach beds available for guests to use. Sometimes it was nice to sit out of the sun and breeze and read a book in the hammock on the front porch.

The bathroom runs on semi-salty water and power only runs between certain times so it's not like a normal hotel. We also had a few Geckos living with us (no big deal). You also need to use the mosquito net, although during early February the mosquitoes weren't especially bad. There is also no AC so I imagine it would be very hot during the summer.

The staff at the resort were really lovely and helpful. Carlos was especially a help, as we had a minor medical issue to deal with. The restaurant makes amazing Italian style food in the evenings. The lobster in the Tagliatelle was awesome, so tender! The daily breakfast was also really nice, freshly baked cake and bread, with eggs if you want them.

The price was very reasonable for a 7 night stay and I will be recommending Hemingway Resort to our friends.

Reviewed 8 February 2013

We loved this cute, cosy, rustic little place right the most beautiful white sand and turquoise water beach! The individual cabaña palapa houses are clean and comfy, the people working here are super nice, polite, helpful and always gave us excellent, friendly service. They have a great Italian kitchen with fresh fruit, fish and langoustines, creative but simple cuisine (loved the cheese plate featuring local artisan cheeses) and good wines. Definitely coming back here next winter!

Room Tip: The jungle area has nice rooms for cheaper but they are more airless than closer to the sea, more bu...
1  Thank Cati53
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We booked here because someone recommended it but also largely because they responded to our reservation inquiries very promptly. Our trip was a last minute one and other hotels took days to get back to us. The beach here is absolutely exquisite. Our cabana "Boa" was right next to the restaurant and had a king and a full sized bed for US$290 a night. Room was attractive and beds comfortable, though the mosquito netting a bit stifling despite cool temperatures. You can untuck it from the mattress and pull it back. There are no fans which could be critical in warmer months. Other reviewers have commented on the sand issue; don't know why they can't just put a broom in each room.

Our major complaint was the lack of warmth from the staff. The Italian owner was around all the time, but never introduced herself or even spoke until I introduced myself to her. Perhaps this was due to a language barrier (we were the only Americans there; most guests were French and Italian). The warmest person was the Mayan woman who cleans the rooms. The waitress in the restaurant refused to even acknowledge my teenage sons. Carlos, the manager (?), who seems to work an inordinate number of hours, was friendly and quite helpful with local information. Got the feeling there is a very high turnover rate among the staff.

Included breakfast was same every day--eggs and toast or very mediocre fruit plate. Only ate dinner there once (see other review), decidedly overpriced. Internet is available only in the restaurant.

The hotel is well located for restaurants and beach (MX$60 taxi ride to Tulum town), but for the price I'm guessing one can do better elsewhere. Certainly there are no shortage of hotels in the area! Be forewarned: Hemingway is CASH or Traveler's Checks only. We paid in pesos which necessitated carrying around a huge wad of bills. Then they converted the dollar amount at a rate of MX$13 when the actual exchange rate is $MX12. Beverages in restaurant are absurdly overpriced--MX$30 for a Coke?!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank montanayn
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have to say that I am a big fan of Tulum and I normally go there 3 times per year so I perfectly know that amazing location. Tulum is special and unfortunately, or fortunately, is not for everyone. People who love air conditioning, swimming pools, that need the hair-drier and all the comfort that we normally have in the big cities, they have to spend their holidays in Playa del Carmen, that town is more indicated for this kind of tourists. I read some comments of guests that complain about electricity, internet, water without pressure, sand in the rooms…you are in the beach, what do you expect? In addition it’s really important to know that Tulum is not a cheap place, it is really exclusive and exclusive destination and it’s normal to go out for dinner and spend 30/40 usd per person. People who have a restricted budget or want to spend less need to go to different places because that part of Mexico is not the right one. In the past I tried different hotel and also very expensive ones but in my opinion Hemingway is one of the best. When I go to Tulum I always stay there because I feel home, great staff, amazing location and unbelievable food, it is really difficult to find this kind of combination in the other places. The beach is amazing, rooms are really clean and well decorated, and people are really friendly. It is not far from the town and there are always many taxis so it’s really easy to get round also without a private car. In the hotel there is electricity and internet works perfectly in the restaurant. Honestly I have spent my life around the word and I am still looking for a place that can be compare to Tulum and Hemingway is a real paradise but fortunately not for everyone…

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tomino82
Reviewed 17 January 2013

I stayed in one of the beachfront cabanas at the Hemingway two years ago March. The memories are still vivid in my mind. Rustic? Yes. Staff? Really friendly. Barefooted and open minds? Necessity. I have to say that the best Italian meal I have e-v-e-r had in my life was made for me here. The first moment we got there, we ordered the fresh seafood pasta of the day and on our table they placed the biggest wrought iron pan of fresh (as in caught that very day) seafood and tomato linguine I have ever aimed to eat. I can say that Italian food has never tasted the same since. Every morning, my boyfriend and I would wake up and saunter over to the resort's restaurant for inky cinnamon coffee, a daily selection of fruit, and sometimes a dense piece of sweetbread. This is how we started out each day in Tulum. We relished in the fact that we'd be relaxing on the gorgeous sundeck with a glass of wine while the yoga resort next door sent its guests hopping about like bunnies in the sand with a loud gong every so often. I'm not so good at regurgitating the facts from my mind in such a sequential order, but what I can offer you are some of the most whimsical moments from my trip. Running back to our resort along the beach as the lightning and thunder rolled up behind us in the ever-darkening skies. Lying on the swinging bed in front of our cabana under stars one night after taking a free salsa lesson at the El Paraiso in town. The beautiful Italian chef who liked to blast the Cranberries and the Doors all day long. The swaying palms. The "batman" bird sightings. Lush. A great place to be in love - with each other and with life. You'd like it here.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mikiq
Reviewed 16 January 2013

If you're planning on going to Tulum you need to know a few things. It's one of the most beautiful relaxing beaches on the Riviera Maya. It's more expensive than other places because its more private and exclusive. You also have to remember you are in a remote location. You will not find 5 star amenities in Tulum unless you're willing to spring $800 at Be Tulum. Paying between 200-500 for the smaller resorts is what you should expect and prices for food and drinks are on the high side because of the exclusivity. Do not think of it as a posh resort location.. think of it as if you are on a remote island. Don't expect powerful water pressure with super purified water.. You're on a remote beach!!

As far as Hemingway, its on one of the most scenic stretches of the beach. We spent 2 weeks over New Year's and had a fantastic time. If you're happy to be barefoot, sandy, and running from a hammock or bed to the ocean and back then this is the place for you. If you're looking to be showered and all prim and proper go stay at some huge resort in Playa del Carmen. Tulum is for the no fuss, no muss kinda people. If you want to sit for dinner at exactly 8pm then go to NYC or Paris or again Playa. When you arrive to Tulum, you need to get on Tulum time.

The food at Hemingway is delicious and yes a bit pricey but in my opinion worth it. If you're friendly to the staff the staff is friendly to you. I've read comments about not getting enough towels, water bottles.. etc.. Ask for them. Make friends with the staff, tip nice and you'll have everything you need. We had extra cups, extra towels, extra bottles of water.. every thing we asked for we got. We also stopped off at the supermarket in town and stocked up on everything from plastic cups to ice coolers, snacks and liquor.
Another thing.. you're staying in beach bungalows! You're not at some huge resort. If you're looking for air conditioned rooms, again stay in Playa.

If you're looking to have a fridge and air conditioning.. don't go to Tulum. There will be a group behind you calling you names and wishing you had stayed in Playa del Carmen. To hear people complain about not having enough amenities in Tulum is aggravating. Don't travel there then. Hopefully those that complain don't come back. Get with Tulum or don't vacation there.

Remember, rough it a little.. You might just have an amazing time and you never know what famous person you'll be sunbathing next to.

Room Tip: Ocean front cabanas are the best.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends