“Paradise for SURE!”

Ranked #60 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Chicago, Illinois
“Paradise for SURE!”
Reviewed 8 March 2013

I am so grateful for one of the most relaxing trips I have ever had and I travel around the globe! The Shambala Petit Hotel is a secret paradise on earth. The serenity and calm in this little place is beyond description. I was on an above and beyond yoga retreat with a very very diverse group at the beginning of February. The staff and management did their best to cater to everyones needs. This is a very eco friendly place and the lodgings may seem bare bones to some at first, but when you remember why you chose the place and its purpose it becomes a "natural Ritz Carlton" for sure! The food was completely fresh, healthy and prepared almost 14 different ways for our group to meet everyone's dietary needs, no 5 star hotel does this for this many at every meal!
It is truly a special place to enjoy nature in it's most unspoiled form, nuture yourself and relax. I and many friends have already signed up for next February and have begun our countdown to Tulum Shambala 2014- I am not a "drinker" but if you like wine and/or, maybe plan that out in advance with Roberto, the manager who will gladly go get it for you or something quite close to your request. As far as other comments in this advisor thing- you literally only sleep and shower in your room, so if you aren't accustomed to simplicity and be ecologically friendly--no worries you are only in your room to sleep! I loved the whole experience! Thank You!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2013

This hotel and the wonderful people (Roberto and his team) have made a paradise for those that want a safe haven and spectacular place to practice yoga. Everything was just perfect and I would go back in a heartbeat. It's a special place to be close to nature and open your heart to a world of possibilies. I will never forget the experience.
Also I must comment on any feedback that has been provided in earlier reviews has been acted on. They take their guests comfort very seriously. The food was outstanding. I watched the staff clean the rooms as I waited for my transportation. They literally spend a great deal of time making sure it is ready for the next guest.
If you love dogs Goa and Enzo are beloved pets on site.
Marco the massage therapist is truly a special person and every was raving about his massages. he helped many people and reminded me that there is always good you just have to open your eyes to it. There is a candle burning.
Don't go if you are looking for a bracelet and all you can drink and eat. Do go if you want to step out on an amazing beach, feel safe, breath in the ocean air and be surrounded with some of the kindest people I have ever met.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank Kindness_matters2013
Victoria, BC
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Just ended a week-long yoga retreat and I loved it! I had been to Tulum three times before, but not for many years. The food, hospitality and warmth of the staff (Roberto is fantastic), location, quiet - just wonderful.

For those people who want A/C (the fan and ocean breezes were fine) and all of the other resort-type amenities - go to Cancun or Playa del Carmen!!

Room Tip: Stay closer to the ocean for the breezes.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Frequenttraveler096
Reviewed 9 February 2013 via mobile

Tulum is wonderful and beautiful. The sand/beach is amazing. The choices of food/shopping/entertainment nearby is great. Easy access to Xplor, ruins, etc. Shambala Petit is a lovely property, but acceptable only if you like bare bones (think camping) lodgings:
No electricity/outlets in the tiny casitas
You cannot flush anything down the toilets, which would have been ok if the garbage can had a lid, and was emptied more often.
You are given one towel for showering, and one beach towel for seven days- they were replaced the last day.
Two warm bottles of water for brushing teeth are given the first day, and never replaced.
There are 4 tea light candles provided, which is not adequate once the sun goes down- very difficult for getting dressed/showering/taking contacts out, etc.
Our casita had no place to put/store/hang our clothes- we had a two-inch ledge that went around the dormitory-sized room, and everything had a layer of sand on it.
Lovely, magical place if you are prepared for its bare bones amenities. Preparation is key. Our experience would have been improved exponentially with the following:
Lanterns to provide light
Baby wipes
Drawers/shelves/hangars
Snacks(carefully sealed to keep out rodents- there was a mouse in our casita)
An additional mirror
Bags of ice
Extra towels
Beverages available outside of mealtimes.
Yoga hut and massage were amazing-meals were fresh daily with wonderful unique fresh juice.
Just be prepared- if you are a four-star devotee, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed February 2013
14 Thank MLJ1963
ShambalaTulum, Owner at Shambala Petit Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
I would like to thank-you for taking the time to review Shambala Petit Hotel.

It is your feedback that continues to provide us with the information we need to grow and live up to our reputation.

I am happy you have been touched by Tulum’s magic. You share the opinion of all those who travel here, that Tulum is beautiful and filled with magical places, cenotes, ancient ruins, fantastic restaurants, close proximity to shopping and off-site explorations.

Tulum is truly unique and I have to express my sincere apology that my home/hotel felt like bare bones camping for you. I am fortunate that a majority of my guests don’t share this similar feeling.

If you do your research, you will see that Tulum is steps from the ocean and steps from the jungle, this leaves us in the midst of pure nature, which we respect in our ecological approach and for this very reason, is why, it has become a much desired attraction for my guests.

You are correct. If you are looking for a resort experience, then you are not in the right place, and that doesn’t match the vibe of Tulum. It is this quaint, minimalistic approach that has guests continue coming back year after year from all over the world.

I am very forthcoming on my website that- what you see, is what you get. On my website, You can select pictures of your chosen room, and walk around the property. You even see what your breakfast looks like every morning. However, I am always updating and surprising my return guests.

I don’t target to mislead anyone otherwise. As well, the information package that you receive from myself or your teacher from your retreat, clearly outlines what you will need to bring with you to make your stay more comfortable and enjoyable, however these are just my suggestions.

So, you are correct again, like any holiday-Preparation is key!. This is why we recommend you read your information package so that you become familiar with the hotel and its amenities, this way you are not disappointed or carry unrealistic expectations from the moment you arrive.

Our ecological approach is vital to keeping this beautiful place intact and this is why when you look up to the night stars, you are left with complete amazement!

We don’t have 5 Stars we have millions of stars. more than any all inclusive resort you find in Cancun or Playa Del Carmen, We are truly connected to the earth and nature here, so hope to see you again, whether you decide to visit our hotel again or swing by the yoga hut, or simply enjoy a massage. Again, thank-you for your post and we will be adding baby wipes to our list, I love the Idea.
Kind Regards, Roberto, Owner of Shambala Petit Hotel
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Just returned from a week in Tulum at the Shambala...we had the most enjoyable experience! Roberto is a kind, gracious host that has obviously put a great deal of care and love into this place...not surprisingly all of the staff seem to share the same amount of respect and passion for the property and its guests. While perhaps not for everyone, we had the most peaceful, pleasurable week and would reccomend to anyone looking for a tranquil, beautiful beach get-a-way.

Room Tip: Casa Albaba was a lovely choice...felt like a comfy, quaint tree house on the beach with a magnifice...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank l k
Paris, France
Reviewed 21 December 2012

Fabulous location, decoration, people, dogs, even squirrels, birds and beautiful bugs if you're lucky and attentive... and an exceptional breakfast. The place has a spiritual zing that you're let to discover by yourself. Love it or leave it. Personally we were very happy of our choice. You have places to eat galore on walking distance and it was very easy to grab a taxi to Tulum pueblo, where you have all types of restaurants, shops, internet and car rentals. Shambala also appeared to be a good starting point to go to Coba, Chichen Itza, Valladolid and cenotes, and the tips from Roberto proved to be helpful. Our dilemna was to stay lazily on the beach or to go and look for adventure so six days were too short. The area was a balanced mix of eco and chic tourism and I wish that today the green side of it still prevails.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ohmyworld
Minnesota
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I visited Shambala a year ago on an Inspirational/Yoga Retreat. The grounds are magical! Keep in mind that you are NOT in CanCun. Tulum is a destination where the accomodations are definitely more on the rustic side. Roberto the owner has decorated the rooms wonderfully! I have a story about Roberto. My first day I arrived I got settled and noticed a few geckos in my room(very very common in Tulum, being you have the thatched roofs and open air windows), It was 10pm and I walked to the main area and requested if I could get a mosquito net around my bed. Roberto got one immediately and put it on over my bed. Definitly went out of his way to make me comfortable. I have traveled all over the world and this is one of my favorite spots to stay. Its simple, clean, everyone EXTREMELY friendly, beaches are gorgeous, food fabulous, yoga hut is stunning. The massage was the best I have EVER had. I just cant say enough about this place. Roberto and his staff are priceless! Will be back this January! Cant wait! :)

Room Tip: I highly recommend the Treetop Room(Casa Albaba) and the room right on the beach Casa Eolo!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends