“Extreme danger with no concern for safety”

Hidden Worlds Family Cenote Park
More attraction details
Owner description: Hidden Worlds Cenotes Park offers unique jungle adventures including , cenote snorkeling, ziplines, rappelling, Diving, the skycycle and the Avatar. This park has been featured in more films then any other park in the greater Cancun area including; critically acclaimed 2001 IMAX movie, Journey Into Amazing Caves and the 2007 BBC Planet Earth series, Natgeo in 2007 and HDTV "GET OUT" series in 2011.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I emailed Hidden Worlds and to Rain Forest Adventures a week ago about my shocking experience, with no response from either, so I feel that the problem has not been addressed and needs to be made known. The email, which follows, explains the whole situation.

I feel compelled to make a complaint about my visit to Hidden Worlds a couple days ago. I have been to HW at least 3 other times on previous visits to Mexico and went again so that my friend could experience it. This time, I had a very bad experience with [name withheld by me], my tour guide, and I feel I was put at risk and in serious danger.

The tour was at the tail end of 3 days of rainstorms. (It was pouring again when we arrived.) Someone suggested going to the caves since they are underground. I didn't realize that the rains would affect the water level in the caves, but it makes sense now, of course. The only people there that afternoon were me and my friend, so we had a "private" tour with [name withheld by me]. Once in Hilario's Well (the only thing open that day), he mentioned that the water levels were rising rapidly. We already knew that access to many areas would be blocked since we were told that back at the office. Once in the cave, I questioned [name withheld by me] about how fast the water could rise. He said the cave could fill up within minutes, even from a storm that was miles away. This made me very nervous and uncomfortable, and I was ready to quit, but he didn't seem to hear my concerns. I know he's an expert, but it's almost as if his religious worship of the caves and waters clouds his judgment. (He said a prayer to the cenote beforehand, asking its permission for us to enter.) I expressed my nervousness more than once, but I also didn't want to affect my friend's enjoyment or appear unreasonable (I'm not generally a fearful person), so I went ahead, although I continued asking about how fast the water level could rise. He even pointed out how strong the currents were and pointed out the sound of the waters rushing in. NEVERTHELESS, he proceeded to take us to another area via two adjacent spots where we could breathe only by putting our faces up against the roof of the cave. AND there was no other way out! I now feel we were put in grave danger and wish I had listened to my instincts at the beginning.

There were other serious problems, although not life-threatening. Once during the tour and once at the end, he emphasized how he depends on tips. That's not terribly bad, but then he made us very uncomfortable by hovering near us continuously afterwards, obviously seeking out his tip, even near our car as we got in and drove away. Perhaps his desire for tips also affects his judgment. I couldn't believe he even asking since he should have picked up on the negative vibes.

Since the tour ending up being a private one, I would have liked to do away with listening to the tour script, but he seemed intent on slavishly sticking to it so that it was hard to say anything (including about my fears). I wanted to say that we just wanted to see the caves and swim and snorkel and skip the commentary. It seemed that his dedication to the cenotes was greater than to us as tourists.

After reviewing the visit in my mind for a couple days, I still don't think I'm overreacting to say that we were endangered and could have met with a tragic end by drowning because of the excessive risk taken.

Please let me know that you have received this message and what you think. I have refrained from posting this on TripAdvisor since it was a very unusual situation, and I didn't think a public criticism of an individual was the way to handle it. Nevertheless, [name withheld by me]'s apparent lack of judgment should be a source of concern.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

An acquaintance of mine has since told me:
"Guides are everything in cenotes. I used to be one, and I've seen it all. Your guide had / has no business taking anyone in ever again. I've seen a lot of guides get complacent about the 'business' of taking people into these delicate and dangerous environments."

19  Thank KennyG1021
in 215 reviews
in 105 reviews
in 397 reviews

Reviewed 28 October 2013

We booked the Ultimate Adventure online, but were a little apprehensive about it before we got there. But the day we had was really fun.
The driver picked us up from our hotel on time. We were the only ones that day and it turned out to be a real blessing for us.
We got to enjoy all the ziplines, the aerial cycle and the snorkling in the cenote without having to wait in line. We took our own time and enjoyed everything thoroughly. The cenote is really beautiful. There were deeper cenotes than the one we snorkelled in, which were accessible to divers.
The guides, Cheeto and Martini, were really fun to be around and very patient. They took their safety protocols very seriously, which made us feel secure. They made the day really enjoyable. The photographer, Roberto, clicked some awesome snaps.
Lunch was included in the deal. Got some delicious tacos.
All in all, a memorable day.

3  Thank Nis85
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We had the full day with all the activities including the aerial bike ride. Our guides were extremely helpful and gave us a day we shall not forget easily. Great adventure with just a little bit of excitement you do not find in places like Xel Ha. This does not mean Xel Ha sucks but just means this one is still really a lot better. The ziplining into the cave my personal favorite although the biking was also a lot of fun. If you feel adventurous then skip al the tame stuff like Xcaret and try this one.

2  Thank hansNetherlands
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We booked on line via Hidden Worlds website to get an additional 10% discount. The driver picked us up right on time and was very friendly, spoke good English and informed us on details about Hidden Worlds. We were one of the first people that arrived in the a.m., were introduced to our 2 guides and off we went off on adventure. We were the only ones in our jungle truck with exception of our 2 guides and the photographers. The ride back to the cenote was very bumpy, but adventurous and fun. We did the Extreme Adventure and the best thing about it was swimming through the cenote (underwater cave). The water was so clear and the stalactites and stalagmites were amazing. We even saw bats, too cool! The zip lining was ok, the first one was pretty good (the longest), but the zip coaster and splash down were very short. Our guides were great and were all about being safe. They took their time with us and even let us zip line extra times since it was just ourselves. Be prepared though, it is very humid once you get back to the cenote, no breeze at all and lots and lots of mosquitos. Make sure you spray yourself up good with bug spray. The only thing we were disappointed with was the photographers didn't go with us once we got back in the jungle. I said something to our guide about it and he said he didn't know why they didn't come with us to take pictures. I read on the website how the pictures were reasonably priced and really wanted to have some great memories of our adventure, so this was very disappointing. I mentioned it to the girl at the desk when we got back and she apologized, but nothing else. All in all we had a good time, but were disappointed they didn't take any pictures of us :-(