“Lovely beach huts”

Ranked #53 of 97 Hotels in Tulum
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lovely beach huts”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon. The room was large and comfortable. Nicely decorated and hot water all the time. Beach is paradise there. The room gets very hot especially at morning, and the fan doesn't help much, especially because it can only be switched on at night as during the day time there is no electricity in the hotel. We were served breakfast in our own terrace so our experience was very private. We had fresh fruit and delicious coffee. The only issue with breakfast was the bread was old and not fresh. Also we would have liked to know in advance that electricity in the rooms was only active from 7pm onwards.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Malaky_shish

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Tx
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It´s a nice place to stay, nice rooms, close to the beach, and a very friendly staff, they are capable of solving anything you ask.
They function through wind energy so this makes a great matter for me.
Great healthy breakfast!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
montréal, Qc
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We are going in Tulum since many years.. like 10 years ? I should say, sometimes 2,3 times a year ! We are always looking for nice cabanas affordable... like less than 200$ per night. After an outstanding welcome with Adriana and Carlos, you are under the charm ! They really make you feel that nothing is a problem. All the staff are very respectfull of your privacy. At the same time, you want something different you just ASK ! They do whatever they can to make your stay as perfect as it should be ! It is the second experience at this place, certainly not the LAST !!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NiNiClinto
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed 6 nights at posada lamar's ambar and it was like living in paradise. we've had our own huge porch (with much privacy) where they served us breakfast at the time we wanted (from around 8 to 10am). The bed is huge, the mosquito net is very romantic, and you hear the sea and birds singing. It is literally only a few steps to the beach (we've had the cabana the farthest from the beach) the two receptionists were very helpful and very very nice. After our stay we went to Cancun and were full of regrets that we didn't stay longer in tulum.

What you might need to know/be prepared for:

- they produce their electricity themselves, so you only have (rather dim) light and a fan from 6 pm to 6 am (but you won't need light during the day, it's bright enough, and since the sea breeze blew through the windows we didn't miss the fan either) and you have no plugs in the room. But you have strong and fast wifi connection all day long, even at the beach and you can let your phone be charged at the reception at every time (they even have adapters). of course there is also no TV in the room but we didn't miss it at all.

- the cabanas are not like 5 star hotels: the shower and toilet area is open (the "door" is a curtain and of course you mustn't throw the toilet paper in the toilet like everywhere in tulum), so you have not much privacy. the roof, doors and windows are not completely shut which means some insects might get in, but it's not because it's dirty but because it's nature. we've had a few ants, once a cockroach (we took out) and a cricket was living somewhere in the roof. I'm not into insects and not a camper person but it wasn't really disturbing. some of the rooms might be small. there is no closet, only a few shelves. in our room there was an extra bed we used to put our stuff on, maybe else/for 3 persons it might have been a bit narrow.

- breakfast is not some continental buffet thing. they'll bring you a plate of fresh fruit, yoghurt with flakes, toasted bread, butter and jam and fresh juice each person on your porch, huevos etc cost extra. the bread was overly toasted and not my taste at all but I didn't mind because the rest was enough for me. I can imagine that if you're used to having a buffet with salami, all sorts of sausages, ham, eggs etc you might be deceived but I really loved it. also there is no restaurant in the hotel itself but there's a nice small restaurant 3 mins walking distance from the cabanas at the beach.

- the water is low pressure, salty and either hot or cold

I think the few things I mentioned above you need to be prepared for, but if you are and you're not expecting an all inclusive resort with all its comfort, you will love it as much as I did. It was the best holidays I've ever had and I will never forget them. I hope I'll once come back and it won't have changed.

muchisimas gracias

Room Tip: the ambar cabana might be the largest. it has an extra bed we could put our clothes and stuff on, an...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helena R
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This pousada is great! So quiet and relaxing as is all of tulum! We woke up every morning with the sun and had breakfast brought to us while laying out on the sand. This stretch of beach is breath-taking and magical! We stayed in both of the front huts which i highly recommend. I truly cannot wait to go back! Amazing amazing amazing!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I've never been to a remote, cabanas-only vacation spot...and these guys made the whole trip! The staff, especially Carlos and Adriana, were great...always there to help with whatever you needed. I read the stories about theft and danger and was a little hesitant, but my experience at Posada Lamar was completely the opposite! I went to check in a little early and my room wasn't ready, and I had to go on a dive...all of my bags (some of them open) were left near the front desk...and keep in mind the front desk area is completely OPEN, it's more like a small pavilion. When I got back 4 hours later, all my stuff was neatly in my room awaiting my arrival (money, passport, credit cards, IDs, everything!).

The front desk truly is 24 hours, though if you need something late at night it helps to speak a little Spanish. The cabanas were spacious and clean (well, THEY kept it clean...the elements and mother nature did everything to sabotage that). Complimentary breakfasts were a perfect start to the mornings. I went solo for a wedding, but to truly take advantage of this place's ambience and location (perfectly suited within walking distance of anything I needed, either on the road or beach), I'd go as a couple. Actually the only thing I'd have to 'complain' about is that there is no power outlet in the rooms to charge phones, laptops, etc. For someone who reads mostly off my phone and Kindle, that was a little annoying to have to go to the front desk to charge everything...but then again, if you're gonna be on your phone or laptop the whole time, then DON'T go to Tulum...it's made for you to 'Get Away' from all that!!!

Thanks again guys, I'll definitely be back!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Smaragaid
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Posada Lamar and loved it. It was our first time in Tulum and what a magical place. Such a relaxing and beautiful environment. Our room was Cristal, with one king bed in an upstairs loft and a double bed on the main floor. Bed was very comfortable, with a mosquito net around the outside. Great breeze through the numerous windows, very neat thatched roof that didn't leak despite the downpour we had that lasted all afternoon and all night the first night of our stay. You are just steps from the beach and can hear the waves crashing.
Room was very clean, they did a great job cleaning every afternoon, and getting all the sand out!
Plenty of bottled water was provided, and nice soft beach towels too. Water pressure in the shower was decent, and there was always hot water which was nice. Our friend was staying at a hotel down the road and he took a couple ice cold showers. Not a problem at Posada Lamar.
Adrianna, the lovely lady who runs the hotel, was very nice and helpful. This place is Eco friendly, so there is electricity in the rooms only from 5pm to 7am. There are no outlets in the rooms, but you can charge phones, computers, etc in a secure area in the lobby. They also have free 24 hour WiFi.
Delicious breakfast served on your porch at the time of your choice included with your stay. Comfy lounge chairs and hammocks setup right on the beach.
I felt extremely at home here, very safe and I'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple