“Casual Paradise”
Review of Posada Lamar

Posada Lamar
Ranked #60 of 99 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 26 June 2013

Posada Lamar was everything I'd hoped for. I stayed in Rubi, the smaller posada on the beachfront - great view of the beach, under-stated style and design with a comfy queen bed. I spent many an hour chilling in the hammock on the porch, when the 2 metre walk to a beach chair seemed too long! I didn't miss the lack of electricity at all (it turns on at 7). Lots of amazing restaurants nearby. I was travelling alone, and strangely so were two other guests - didn't feel uncomfortable at any stage. Highly recommended

Room Tip: If you can, go to the beachfront rooms, although if I returned I wouldn't hesitate to book any.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Ylime

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Posada Lamar was even better than I'd hoped for! Three of us shared Cristal which is one of the larger two story cabanas toward the back (or closer to the road) of the property. It provided a lot of space and privacy. There is one king/queen bed on the first floor with a shelving unit for your things. Upstairs is a very large king sized bed with another shelving unit and large fan (for use during the evenings). We were able to spread out comfortably and call Cristal home for a week. From Cristal the ocean is about 100 yards. You get a really nice breeze at night which helps make the mosquitos almost non existent while enjoying the large porch. Good food and drinks are within walking distance. Bicycles can be rented next door. The morning vegetarian breakfast was consistent and good- we got up early every day looking forward to it. There was always hot water, even with three of us. There were fresh towels and linens and the whole place was swept clean of sand daily. Electricity comes via wind unlike some of the nearby 'eco hotels' with noisy generators. Everyone is extremely helpful and friendly. I can't say enough good things about Posada Lamar. It's truly paradise.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon. The room was large and comfortable. Nicely decorated and hot water all the time. Beach is paradise there. The room gets very hot especially at morning, and the fan doesn't help much, especially because it can only be switched on at night as during the day time there is no electricity in the hotel. We were served breakfast in our own terrace so our experience was very private. We had fresh fruit and delicious coffee. The only issue with breakfast was the bread was old and not fresh. Also we would have liked to know in advance that electricity in the rooms was only active from 7pm onwards.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malaky_shish
Reviewed 27 May 2013

It´s a nice place to stay, nice rooms, close to the beach, and a very friendly staff, they are capable of solving anything you ask.
They function through wind energy so this makes a great matter for me.
Great healthy breakfast!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We are going in Tulum since many years.. like 10 years ? I should say, sometimes 2,3 times a year ! We are always looking for nice cabanas affordable... like less than 200$ per night. After an outstanding welcome with Adriana and Carlos, you are under the charm ! They really make you feel that nothing is a problem. All the staff are very respectfull of your privacy. At the same time, you want something different you just ASK ! They do whatever they can to make your stay as perfect as it should be ! It is the second experience at this place, certainly not the LAST !!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NiNiClinto
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed 6 nights at posada lamar's ambar and it was like living in paradise. we've had our own huge porch (with much privacy) where they served us breakfast at the time we wanted (from around 8 to 10am). The bed is huge, the mosquito net is very romantic, and you hear the sea and birds singing. It is literally only a few steps to the beach (we've had the cabana the farthest from the beach) the two receptionists were very helpful and very very nice. After our stay we went to Cancun and were full of regrets that we didn't stay longer in tulum.

What you might need to know/be prepared for:

- they produce their electricity themselves, so you only have (rather dim) light and a fan from 6 pm to 6 am (but you won't need light during the day, it's bright enough, and since the sea breeze blew through the windows we didn't miss the fan either) and you have no plugs in the room. But you have strong and fast wifi connection all day long, even at the beach and you can let your phone be charged at the reception at every time (they even have adapters). of course there is also no TV in the room but we didn't miss it at all.

- the cabanas are not like 5 star hotels: the shower and toilet area is open (the "door" is a curtain and of course you mustn't throw the toilet paper in the toilet like everywhere in tulum), so you have not much privacy. the roof, doors and windows are not completely shut which means some insects might get in, but it's not because it's dirty but because it's nature. we've had a few ants, once a cockroach (we took out) and a cricket was living somewhere in the roof. I'm not into insects and not a camper person but it wasn't really disturbing. some of the rooms might be small. there is no closet, only a few shelves. in our room there was an extra bed we used to put our stuff on, maybe else/for 3 persons it might have been a bit narrow.

- breakfast is not some continental buffet thing. they'll bring you a plate of fresh fruit, yoghurt with flakes, toasted bread, butter and jam and fresh juice each person on your porch, huevos etc cost extra. the bread was overly toasted and not my taste at all but I didn't mind because the rest was enough for me. I can imagine that if you're used to having a buffet with salami, all sorts of sausages, ham, eggs etc you might be deceived but I really loved it. also there is no restaurant in the hotel itself but there's a nice small restaurant 3 mins walking distance from the cabanas at the beach.

- the water is low pressure, salty and either hot or cold

I think the few things I mentioned above you need to be prepared for, but if you are and you're not expecting an all inclusive resort with all its comfort, you will love it as much as I did. It was the best holidays I've ever had and I will never forget them. I hope I'll once come back and it won't have changed.

muchisimas gracias

Room Tip: the ambar cabana might be the largest. it has an extra bed we could put our clothes and stuff on, an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Helena R
Reviewed 18 April 2013

This pousada is great! So quiet and relaxing as is all of tulum! We woke up every morning with the sun and had breakfast brought to us while laying out on the sand. This stretch of beach is breath-taking and magical! We stayed in both of the front huts which i highly recommend. I truly cannot wait to go back! Amazing amazing amazing!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family