“Excellent Posada Lamar”
Review of Posada Lamar

Posada Lamar
Ranked #58 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 12 May 2014

From the moment we arrived..the staff was welcoming..our room was beyond cozy..& the property is exactly what we needed for a relaxing oceanside Vacation in Paradise...We enjoyed our breakfast every morning & Highly reccommend Posada Lamar! Randy & Debi Montoya, Algodones New mexico

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank Mshissy

Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed at Posada Lamar, Cristal Bungalow, for 6 days and 5 nights. As has been previously mentioned on these forums, this isn't a luxury resort. If you want that sort of thing, go pay $$$$ a night at one of the many mega resorts. I am sure you will have a fantastic time with your TV and air conditioning. However, if you are looking for a warm, locally focused & unique Tulum experience, check out Posada Lamar. The staff is hardworking & friendly. I was usually up by 6 am every morning to see the sunrise (which is incredible in Mexico) & by 6:30am the staff was already up quietly raking leaves that had fallen in the night & sweeping everyone's patios so that when breakfast arrived, things would be nothing less than perfect for their guests. It is that kind of attention to detail, that makes me wholly want to return to Posada Lamar the next time I visit Tulum.

Speaking of the breakfast, we all looked forward to it. A grand assortment of delicious local fresh fruits, warm bread on a wooden plate wrapped in a mexican tea towel, fresh orange juice, yogurt with granola, and all the coffee and tea you can drink. All of this was brought out to our patio right outside our room, promptly at the times we requested.

When we arrived we met with Carlos. Even though I know he wasn't, it really felt like he had been waiting there all day to excitedly give us hugs & welcome us to Posada Lamar & Mexico. He didn't hug us, but really it's like that. Every staff member carries a kind smile, and every staff member greets you with a sweet "Buenos Dias". No egos here!

The reception area is also very beautiful & an incredible resource. There is a charging area during the day, when the electricity is off, which remains locked until you return to pick up your things. There is also a library of literature, tour books, pamphlets, etc., but the best asset is Adriana. If you are looking for some adventure, talk to her about hiring Johannes for the day. One of the best guides I have ever experienced. We were a bit shaky and unsure of how to narrow our tours of the awesome natural splendors that Tulum provides, so Adriana recommended him. That was, hands down, one of the best days we spent in Tulum. We snorkeled with turtles in Akumal (saw at least 10), visited 4 cenotes (sort of secret ones that were not overrun with tourists), we ate at an amazing local restaurant (cheap & had the best fish tacos I think I have ever had), and visited a beautiful local lake. Because it was four of us traveling, the experience was totally personalized to what we wanted to do.

To summarize, I loved this place. The staff would move Heaven and Earth for you, if only to ensure you are having a relaxing and enjoyable experience. I really wish the best for all of them & I definitely can not wait to come back. My only regret? That I didn't stay 2 more days.

Room Tip: We stayed in Cristal bungalow, which we adored. It is only a few steps from the beach, but doesn'...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank Ytakada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

First of all the staff is amazing, from the moment we arrived the gentleman who greated us was so welcoming and hepful. The owner is a very sweet lady who was accomodating in every sense, ask and you shall receive. Everyone was extremly helpful with anything and everything we ever needed. The atmosphere is outstanding, beautiful and quiant. It was a nice change from a huge property with a million people on the beach. We felt very safe and at ease during our stay. The property is right on the beach, so you can't get a bad room, every room is beautiful! There is no air conditioning and I was a bit worried, but the breeze from the ocean is constant and kept us very cool at all times. There are so many windows you can really control how much of a breeze you want in the room. I stayed in the room "lapis" with my 13 yr old son. They were very accomodating by making the sofa into a bed for him. Family of ours rented a room across from ours and they were equally satisfied with the stay. Overall it could not have been more perfect! It has everything you need to relax and unwind....free breakfast, clean rooms, promt help when needed and near by there are so many options for dining, live music in the evening, shopping, bike rentals, espresso shops and much more. I highly recommend this porperty!! My expectations were exceeded. If you want to have the best scuba/snorkle instructor ever his name is Ben and he can be found at the scuba shop next to "mateos". I highly recommend taking a tour with Ben and watching the sunset at "mateos".....

Room Tip: you can't go wrong, each room has a unique look and they are all fabulous!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Posada Lamar is a wonderful place to unplug. We are so looking forward to our next visit and cannot wait to wake up to the welcoming blue sea, white sand beach and delightful breakfast on the patio; from this place we plan the day (most often hours of well deserved relaxing nothingness.) The staff at Posada Lamar make the stay extra special by knowing exactly how to create an atmosphere of stillness by being present to their guests while also offering as much privacy as one could hope for on vacation. Well done!

Room Tip: Ocean front if you can.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2014

We loved Posada Lamar! We stayed there for 6 nights with our two daughters and everything was perfect: from the wonderful beach, to the six beautifully decorated cabanas that are very spacious (ours, Crystal, had two floors) and all of them have a patio or terrace where you can hang out and have the wonderful fresh breakfast served every morning. We sometimes asked to have it served also on the large communal table right in front of the sea, where we were also having lunch and snack (since the restaurants around Tulum beach area are all very expensive and the centre of the town is 10 minutes away, I suggest you to buy some food at the very big local supermarket, and you can ask the reception to give you a cooler to keep it fresh in your cabana).
Electricity is on only from 5 pm and 5 am and night comes pretty early in the winter, so I also suggest to bring an extra sweater since it could become pretty chilly in the late afternoon. We actually hit a very unusually cold January and we had to sleep under three blankets (our cabana was practically open under the roof), but during the day the temperature is fantastic. The service was impeccable (Carlos was in charge of the reception when we were there and he was very helpful, like the three other people that were helping with the cleaning and the breakfast -all of them were incredibly nice).
For dinner, and if you have the car, I suggest to go to Tulum pueblo instead of staying by the beach, as it is much cheaper to eat and there is a large choice of much more typical restaurants. We miss Tulum and its atmosphere very much!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank BetaG2014
Reviewed 3 February 2014

For me and my girlfriend this was the first accommodation of our trip, and what a start!
We were welcomed by a very helpful host(sorry am very bad with names) who showed us our room and directed towards a good place for dinner.
We were in Esmeralda and the room was very spacious and clean with a nicely sized bed with mosquito net all around.
Breakfast is served in front of your room or by the beach at the time that suit you, quite basic but adequate: fruit, orange juice, yogurt and granola, toasted bread butter and jam, tea and coffee.
All the staff are really nice, helpful, always smiling and really making you feel at ease.
Overall cleanliness is spot on considering you are literally on the beach.
Location is very convenient, about 1.5 hours drive from Cancun Airport, all on paved road.
Activities around here are endless, from visiting the Tulum ruins, about 15 min by car, snorkel in nearby playa maya, visiting national parks and so on.
The beach is fantastic with crystal clear warm water and pinkish-white fine sand.
We stayed 3 nights and loved every bit of it, we found it a good base to visit Cozumel and to head off towards Coba and Valladolid.
Will visit again if in this part of the world.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Leslie F
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Ok, my wife really liked this place but I wasn't so keen. As I say the more you pay the less you get. It seems to me nowadays that if you want to make a lot of money you find a nice spot put a shake up call it Eco and get people to pay you lots for the privillage. I used to wild camp a lot you got almost the same for free.
So the position is on the beach but you could be on any beautiful beach which means is the weather is good its nice if the weather is bad it is awful; by the way the kit schools are there for a reason the trade winds blow strong, so yes a beautiful windy beach. The place / area is exclusive because of the prices. You could feed a Mexican family for a week for the price of a drink on this police guarded isolated strip and other than the workers you don't see Mexicans just rich beautiful people.
The cabins are basic, the Eco lights were an issue for me; we all want to save the planet but my eyesight is important too and it was impossible to read inside my cabin after dark. Also if we're all so Eco how come we fly thousands of miles in airplanes?
Carlos the 'manager' was very kind. The breakfast of fruit and yoghurt got a bit boring after a while.
Basically I didn't like it as it seems to me a yuppie hedonistic place without any sense of being in Mexico...........anyway we got a bus to Valladolid and it was better for me

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple