“Luna Maya now Tulum Bay Hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tulum
Hotel Cabanas Luna Maya
Ranked #99 of 119 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Melbourne, Australia
“Luna Maya now Tulum Bay Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2013

I'm pretty sure Luna Maya has now changed its name to Tulum Bay Hotel. We stayed there recently and were very impressed.

PROS:
- Great location! Right on the beach and across the road from restaurants (Mateos is great) and a few stores.
- A fantastic ocean lookout and a beautiful, well thought out setting (lots of trees, hammocks, banana lounges etc).
- Rooms were clean and well maintained. Lots of nice touches like towel sculptures and a bowl of water to wash your feet in.
- Staff were friendly and helpful.
- The cabana is good value for money (although be aware it doesn't have a bathroom).

CONS:
- There are lots of gaps for the Mosquitos to get through in the cabanas.
- There can be loud music at night from the surrounding bars.

I read many of the reviews before arrival and was impressed to see many of the recommendations people made had been acted upon. The restaurant was closed while we stayed but due to reopen soon.

Room Tip: Bring bug spray!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank James O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
El Paso, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

Luna Maya was our top pick for our destination wedding. We contacted them about renting the entire hotel for three nights, and set the dates with Marielena, who works the front office. After we decided who would stay in which room, she emailed all of our guests to let them know the reservation/payment procedures. We then proceeded to print our invitations. A few days later our invitations arrived in the mail, and I spent the afternoon preparing them for mailing. That evening, we received an email from Marielena stating that she had spoken with her boss, who told her they couldn't host our wedding after all because it was high season (we were looking at Jan 3, 2013). This after all the previous communications, including the email to our guests requesting their payment for reservations! We quickly communicated the change to our friends and family, and scrambled to find another venue (and reprint invitations and purchase postage stamps!). Not only that but several of our guests who were not planning to stay at Luna Maya had already communicated with nearby hotels to discuss reservations - and now they had to scramble, too.

It wasn't the end of the world, of course, and in the end we were more than thrilled with our final wedding location. Marielena herself was a friendly person. But it was definitely an unpleasant experience that could have been avoided with clearer communication & professionalism on their part.

When we went to Tulum on our honeymoon, we opted to stay at Tita Tulum, which was a stunning place with great service & lower prices (not to mention clearer policies & communication from the get-go).

If you plan to work with them, we recommend you get something more concrete than e-mail in writing, like a contract.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank eatmorebeets

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2012

I think at I've had one of the best vacations ever in Luna Maya ,
everyone was so relaxed and helpful ,
the location is perfect close to great restaurants and right at the beach

It is a very charming place perfect for a couple but just as family friendly
simple charm thou , dont expect 4 stars however lovely down to earth atmosphere >>>
and a beautiful beautiful beach of Tulum
Oh , would come back there anytime !!!
reccomend

Room Tip: no fitness center or pool so ratings dont apply however rivera Maya beach and water is enough :)
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank eva p
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

It is a very beautiful place to stay. The beach is beautiful, the staff was great and very friendly. The rooms were beautiful and clean. Breakfast was great. I would definately come back again to stay. The only problem was a loud band in the restaurant across the street one night, but had nothing to do with the hotel.
Es un lugar muy hermoso para quedarse. La playa es preciosa, el personal era genial y muy agradable. Las habitaciones estaban limpias y hermosas. El desayuno era excelente. Sin duda me volver de nuevo a permanecer. El único problema era una ruidosa banda en el restaurante al otro lado de la calle una noche, pero que no tiene nada que ver con el hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jen B
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2012 via mobile

Somewhere between the rock hard bed, the cockroaches, and the scent of raw sewage coming up through the pipes the romance was lost. The value Is good though so if you like roughing it I'd still reccomend it. However you will starve in this area if you are on a budget so it somewhat negates the value. A dinner of fish shared between 2 people at the restaurant next door will set you back 700 peso ($70). And the continental breakfast is just toast and fruit. They charge 80- 140 peso for something substantial. The beach is beautiful but not very swimable (seaweed), the dive shop down the road was the best thing about the location. Overall it's just not maintained well enough, some of the staff were snobby, and there isn't access to affordable food/entertainment.

• Stayed September 2012
3 Thank YarrowA
San Cristobal de las Casas, Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

Although I didn't stay here for the night in the end, due to a houskeeping proble, I found the staff extremely friendly and helpful. The beach is beautiful and there arelovely shared areas. The cabana I was to stay in was good value for the money.

Room Tip: There are 2 cheaper cbanas near the entrance
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank themiddlemoffat
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

I decided to stay at Luna Maya based on a friends recommendation and I was very pleased. I thought I would only stay for a few days then hop around but I fell in love and remained there for my entire trip. My room was cozy and clean and the beach front and cliff deck that looks out to the ocean are incredible. I loved the rustic but clean feel of the hotel. As I am not a fancy resort type of person Luna Maya was a perfect paradise that fit in perfectly with environment of Tulum. My favorite thing about this place was the staff. They were kind and helpful and since I was there by myself I was able to cultivate great friendships and practice my spanish. I love this place and I will stay there every time I return.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo