“Good value in tulum pueblo”

Hotel Residencia La Mariposa
Ranked #81 of 97 Hotels in Tulum
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good value in tulum pueblo”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

Clean rooms, light breakfast included, has a kitchenette and fridge. stayed for 1 night before moving to hotel on beach, but it is def good value i recommend it!

• Stayed May 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 23 February 2011

clean small hotel situated in quiet neighbourhood, just off mainstreet. very kind people. spacious rooms with good beds. simple breakfast. good price and quality. we stayed here for 4 nights and certainly would go back again.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
vancouver
Reviewed 1 April 2010

I reall enjoyed my stay with Jean Carlos. He was extremely helpful.

The hotel is really laidback and there is a lovely terrace for guests to relax on.

The rooms are clean and the beds comfortable.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
denver
Reviewed 29 January 2010

This hotel offers nice large rooms that are very clean for a very reasonable price. The location is two blocks off the main road and a easy walk to all the great restaurants in Tulum Pueblo. Taxis are cheap and plentiful. A ride to the beach is 50 pesos. The only downside to this Hotel is the owners. When we arrived they attempted to charge us more for the room than agreed upon. I brought with me all my emails and receipts from PayPal to prove the rate. The continental breakfast is a waste of time, have breakfast at Don Cafeto's. I also arranged transportation from the airport to the Hotel with the owner's of the hotel. After being delayed and missing a connecting flight, my plane arrived late. I contacted the owner's that I would be arriving late. The driver did not wait and returned to Tulum, after two days I was approached by the Gentleman that owns the Hotel and asked me I could pay the driver. I informed him that I felt like I should not have to pay for a service that I did not receive. I did agree to pay him half of the agreed fee, after that exchange, I felt like I was dealing with two scammers. The housekeeper and the young man working the front desk were a pleasure to deal with and attended to every detail, its unfortunate they work for unscrupulous owners. The Hotel is rather noisey being located in a neighborhood (barking dogs and roosters crowing) but not that big of deal if you keep the windows closed. The neighborhood is typical 3rd world Mexico but we felt safe walking day and night. There is a small liquor store and store very close. We love Tulum but will probably seek out another Hotel because of the owner's.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank jefs
PR
Reviewed 30 November 2009

I had a great stay in La Mariposa, wish it could have been longer. The Italian owners were very charming and helpful throughout our stay. I had been to Tulum before and knew not to stay in Ave Tulum. I had read a few reviews on La Mariposa and decided to stay.
The rooms were very clean the owners and ladies who worked there were wonderful. Breakfast was included which is great. The hotel is walking distance to downtown and a short ride to the beach.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone. It was probably one of the nicest in my 2 week mexican roadtrip.

• Stayed November 2009
2 Thank travelabejita
Minnesota
Reviewed 26 November 2009

In my 40 years of traveling in all parts of Mexico, The Hotel Mariposa was my most unpleasant stay at a Mexican Hotel, ever. The hotel is situated on the edge of town in a poor, but seemingly safe residential neighborhood.
When I arrived, the Italian owner tried jacked up the price $10.00 U.S. from what I was quoted. He was waving his piece of paper saying $55.oo per night, while I was fumbling through my laptop (which I almost didn't bring) looking for the reservation. When I showed it to him, he still wanted the high season price, when I said I was going to another hotel, his wife stepped in and said I can have the price they quoted me. He refused to carry my bags upstairs, even though he was younger than me. He said he had a bad shoulder (so do I) I had to pay for the full stay upfront, so i couldn't change Hotels.
When I arrived in the room, he informed me that, because it rained last week, the internet only worked downstairs by the office, so I would need to go up and down 3 flights of stairs, if I wanted to use the internet. The story about the rain, I did not believe and I am guessing he only has a weak signal,
The hotel is very pretty and clean. The room was pretty, and freshly painted, so freshly painted that the fumes from the paint were strong. I guess they didn't want to wait for the paint to dry before they rented it out. The drain in the shower was covered with a plastic bathmat. I moved the mat and quickly discover the reason for covering it is to keep the sewer fumes from entering the room...mucho fumos!!
The hotel is well kept, clean, very pretty, plants, art, The maids and other employees are very nice, and do a good job. ( I can only imagine how they treat their employees, after I saw the way the treat guests.) The towel rack was very pretty, and was attached to the wall with suction cups, so when you put towels on it, it fell off the wall. Also, their website looks great.
Lesson learned, what you see, is not always what you get.
I strongly do not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank hechoenMexico
Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed 17 November 2009

Myself and my husband spent 4 nights in Tulum at La Mariposa. Perfect place right in down town, 5mn away from the Tulum main Avenida with shops, restaurants and bars. The great point of this hotel is that although this is in down town, it's very quiet and allows then to sleep at night! Accomodations are then very large, with a kitchen corner ( if someone wishes to cook). We stayed in a 4 people sized flat/accomodation and this was great to stay there and not in a usual tiny hotel room... Giancarlo and Emma were very helfpul with us, always keen to give us some advises on restaurants! A special thanks to them for their hospitality!!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple