“Still a good deal”
Review of La Posada del Sol

La Posada del Sol
Ranked #74 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 3 December 2007

I stayed here for two nights in November, in one of the back, inland-side-of-the-street rooms. Like most places in Tulum, this is a casual operation--I would say its website looks a bit slicker than the place actually is, though the place is certainly not a dump by any means. I've visited a lot of the hotels in Tulum, and these rooms are still some of the best-priced on the beach, with nice details and _lots_ of space. I think my room had screens on the windows, which was good. One night I had electricity for the fan, and another I didn't, but it was actually a little chilly when I was there. Beds were very comfortable.

You do have to walk through the jewelry shop and past the owners' own private house to get to the beach. And post-Hurricane-Dean, the beach situation here is a little weird--a lot of the sand around the foundation of the hotel (and all the others in this section) got washed away. There's still plenty of beach--you just have to clamber down a little bit to reach it, which is awkward, and not particularly scenic.

I also have to say my water pressure was truly grim. Not the world's most thrilling showers, but then I've only had two memorably good showers in all of the Yucatan, so...

Stayed: October 2007
5  Thank zlo
There are newer reviews for La Posada del Sol

Reviewed 6 July 2007

I was supposed to stay at Posada del sol for two nights and booked over internet. Here are some of the problems there were with this property that I DID not anticipate nor was I warned of:

1. No privacy in the room. Drapes do not cover windows that look out onto the main road, nor are there any at all by the windows on the sides of the doors. Workmen kept walking by all day, as well as other people of course.
2. Dirty and stained bed linens and towels
3. NO ELECTRICITY at night!!! There is one fan in the room (situated over the floor, not over the bed even) and the power only lasted a few hours. There is some note on the door saying that they use solar power so not to use that fan during the day if you want to use it at night, but I didnt use it at all during the day and it still didnt work at night, nor did the lights. It was so hot (hotter in the room than outside) I had to go out and sleep in the backseat of my car. I talked to another guest on the other side of the street and for some reason he had power and I didnt.
4. No screen on window in bathroom to keep bugs out, and there was an exposed outlet with wires hanging out of it IN THE SHOWER

other problems you might want to consider that I did anticipate
1. loud and noisy because on the street
2. not on beach, and the beach it is across from is very small and crowded (shared by at least two other hotels, all of which actually give their guests beach towels).

I finally left at 6am and went to another hotel down the street, Ana y Jose, where I had eaten the night before (this is a great property and I will write a review later). When I got there and told the receptionist that I needed to change hotels and where I was staying he nodded his head knowingly and gave me a sad smile. I went back to check out at posada del sol 7:30 am and there was no one there at the check out, which is actually a cashiers counter in the gift shop (there is no real reception). I had to leave for a tour at 9am so I couldnt come back till the evening. I did however vacate the premises so that it was obvious I had left.

When I went back in the afternoon the receptionist told me, "I dont know why there was no power, maybe there was something wrong at the plant, and I dont know why no one was here at seven, usually I am but today someone else was supposed to be here, and I dont know why she wasnt, what do you want me to do, I will not give you your money back." So, there was no power, the room was dirty, etc., and when I went to check out no one was there to let me check out, so they would not reimburse me for the remaining night, saying it was because I made the reservation over the internet.

I dont really care about the money I lost, but I was insulted by the customer service in light of all of the problems I had with the room and the fact that I had left the premisis the morning before the day I was supposed to. I have stayed at five star hotels as well as hostels and B&Bs, and I dont mind roughing it. This was way beyond roughing it though, it was positively awful. Even if they had reimbursed me, it would not have been enough to keep me from trying to warn other travelers from staying away from Posada del sol. Please, if you want to actually enjoy your vacation, do not plan on staying here.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo
2  Thank lala3237
Reviewed 23 June 2007

POSADA DEL SOL is wonderful. I stayed there for 6 nights in the beginning of June. I stayed in room number 3 which is across the street from the beach and the rest of the hotel.The room is so beautiful-large tiled shower, high ceilings and lots of unique little features. The only thing that was bothersome was the loud traffic on the road in front. The woman, Diana, at the front desk was so nice and caring when I arrived late at night she had my room open so I could just climb into bed. And when I locked my keys in the car she helped get me a taxi and tell me where to go in town to get a locksmith to come and help. The little shop at the front desk is filed with wonderful jewelry, textiles and various other beautiful mexican things. The beach has plenty of lounge chairs and they give you large beach towels. It is a little rocky in the water but you learn the best places to go in. It is around a few other hotels which have great restraunts. Zahras is right across the street(they have good happy hour drinks!). I had a wonderful stay at Posada del Sol and will return!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank CaliforniaSarah
Reviewed 27 April 2007

This hotel is beautiful. We stayed in room #4 which is across the street and upstairs. The room was large, airy and creatively decorated with natural shells/textiles/ceramics/wood. As other travellers have remarked, the beach is small, but the proprieters were happy to allow myself and my daughters to go up the road to the sister property at Posada Lamar to enjoy the less rocky, larger beach front. I had no problem with the staff during my stay and found the front desk to be very kind to me and my daughters. The only drawbacks I found were a lack of hot water and the parking was incredibly slim fitting- so unless you have really amazing spatial capacity expect some challenge there! Trece Lunas has amazing food and is basically like having an onsite restaurant it is so close- the coffee is great, food is reasonably priced,fresh,healthy with friendly service.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank Pavelle
Reviewed 26 April 2007

We had booked this hotel for four nights on the web, thinking we would come to a great location. We were very disappointed with this hotel, which in fact is not a hotel: it's a souvenirs place that has some rooms for rent. You're not dealing with professionals. We had booked a room called "bungalow suite" which looks good on the website. First of all we had to pay for the four nights when we checked in, and the insistance of the owner to collect her money was very disturbing. No hot water, no towels, no soap, almost no light. The room was dirty, the door and the windows would'nt lock. How can you leave your bags during the day when the room is wide open on a street passage conducting to a public beach? That place looks very dark and unsafe at night with no lights. No breakfast in the morning. We decided to leave. The owner would'nt agree to pay us our money back for the other three nights. A bad place to avoid if you're on vacation.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family
9  Thank ParisGeraldo
Reviewed 17 April 2007

We loved the central location of the hotel - right in the buzz of the hotel zone. When planning a 3 week holiday for a family of three with scuba diving, price is an important factor. This was the cheapest option that we could find, offering a proper room and own bathroom and we loved it! We had one of the rooms on the other side of the road and it did not bother us at all. We were out most of the day and basically used our room to sleep in. We loved the fact that each room is unique (stayed in two because of a double booking!). Our 5 year old loved the arty shower and hammock on the veranda! There are always taxis in this area, which makes it easy to get to Tulum at all times of the day or night. The two girls at receptions were wonderful in helping to book trips and assist in answering our hundreds of questions. We booked a day trip to Sian Kaan, which we felt was a waste of money (although great fun, it was a bit too touristy for us who wanted to see more of the wildlife and nature). Did the best cenote dives with Cenote Dive Centre in Tulum , including a very unsual cenote called, Angelita (highly recommended for advanced divers). We found the restaurants on the hotel zone overpriced so opted to rather take a taxi into town (we like local stuff!). If you want the real Mexican experience try the Cocina Economica on the left hand side at the bottom end of town. Where you choose your food in the kitchen - at half the price!!!
We also took many day trips from there, including Xcaret (although a big tourist destination, it was great, especially if you have children!). The day trip to Achumal was also fun, offering a wonderful beach and great snorkeling.
We never rented a car once, but used the local taxis (standard $4 from the hotel into town) and "collectivos" to get to other towns (Tulum to Playa $2.5).
Do not take the local bus (ADO)! We only decide to do it because our 5 year old wanted to go on the bus. We booked and paid for our seats, the bus was running late, and then were chased off the bus as all the seats were double booked!

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank moniquestrydom
Reviewed 14 April 2007

We stayed at Posada Del Sol for three nights last week. After reading the previous review, I realized that our room (#3) was actually across the street, even though when I booked it I thought it was on the beach side of Boca Paila. I am glad I was prepared for that when I arrived, because it does not mention that on their website (even though the girl at the front desk- who had major attitude, but whatever, it could have been the language barrier- insisted that the website was very clear).

The room was beautiful! It was big and really nicely decorated. The patio was shaded by palm trees which blocked the road, and we loved lounging out there in the hammock. Although the major part of the view from the patio was the roof of Trecelunas next door, it was still very private.

That being said, although it was very private, and we were able to keep the doors and windows open without worrying about people seeing in, it was VERY NOISY! The room is right above the road, and all day and ALL NIGHT there were trucks rumbling down the road. We also had to endure the sounds of the garage doors opening and closing for the surrounding businesses.

The first night I was ready to go, but Ms. Attitude at the front desk was very strict with the cancellation policy, and in the end I am glad she was. During the same trip we also stayed at Posada Dos Ceibas, Tita Tulum, and Cabanas La Conchita. Out of the four places, this one was our favorite room (and the best price). The beach was not great. The little cove that it shares with La Conchita and other cabanas has a lot of sea weed, and rough waves.

One other great thing about Posada Del Sol is it's location on Boca Paila. It is within walking distance of tons of great restaurants (Zamas, Trecelunas) and shops.

Please feel free to contact me with questions, especially because there aren't very many reviews for this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple