“Horrible night at Casa violetta”
Review of Casa Violeta

and 1 more site!
Casa Violeta
Ranked #34 of 84 Tulum B&B and Inns
“Horrible night at Casa violetta”
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night a CV in an off beach upstairs room. At about 11pm we had house music blasting full volume down the street and country music blasting just across the road for the next 2 or 3 hours. To top it off the odor of sewage was so strong, especially once the fans cut out, that we left the room with a blanket and tried to sleep on the beach. Informing the receptionist the next day (who was lovely) she spoke to management and organized a 15% discount. Definitely not worth $140 for an off ocean cabana and 3 hours sleep!!

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Kiwithejames

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I love Casa Violeta! This past trip was my fourth stay and the very first second I arrived, I wondered what had taken me so long to get back here. (I didn't visit in 2012, so it had been a while.) There is so much love in every inch of this property. I always have some kind of beautiful spiritual experience, and this time didn't disappoint. The energy on the property is tranquil and powerful at once. The staff are like a family and care about your happiness. The food in the restaurant is great. I highly recommend the pizzas and the ceviche. I loved the vibe in my room so much that I actually did a ton of reading/relaxing there. Also, the water is the best swimming on the whole beach. I have stayed at other places on this same stretch that have rocks in the water. But at Casa, the water is perfect, like everything else. I have stayed elsewhere in Tulum, but nowhere else feels like home, as Casa does. Truly, this is a place to exhale. I stayed for a week and I still wasn't ready to leave when I had to go. In the cab on the way to the airport, I was over the moon with peace and happiness.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 28 July 2013

The facts:
Tulum is an eco friendly location (this is not Cancun and hopefully will never be)
Hotels have to generate their own Power
No hotels at Tulum have Air Conditioning
Most guests writing happy reviews are directly related to staying at an ocean front cabin
Most guests writing unhappy reviews stayed at the back their hotel (either they had NOISE from the power generators or they were REALLY HOT) This is the case for Casa Violeta
Hotels in Tulum usually have only one or two Ocean Front rooms
At Tulum, wind is your best friend

Ok now, If you read the above facts in order, you now understand that your experience has little to do with the hotel facilities but rather with the good/bad location during your stay.

Lets first start by the good things that Casa Violeta has to offer:

Great Staff - All of them are nice, helpful, happy, good vibe, they know how to make you feel ok and that is very important for the hospitality industry.

Great Food - everybody talks about their pizzas, fish, breakfast, drinks, the moon rising, the sun setting view etc.

Great Beach - Beach has ultra soft sand, you will see turtles during night time and if you get close silent and gently, turtle will stay around for a while

Bad things are (I stayed at the back cabins ;):

1 - No hot water at the Iris Cabin. Shower is clogged with salt and the water demand is not enough to make the boiler startup

2 - Cabin is way too hot - needs ventilation

3 - Power from the Cabins and power outlets are turned off daily from 4-5AM. This is terrible for a person like myself who needs a breathing machine by night.

4 - Light is way too low at the Iris Cabin too - yes I do understand the light is supposed to be low but this particular cabin is lower than the rest.

Now these are my two very simple suggestions to the owner of this hotel:

1 - Generate your power using wind turbines so that the noise from the generator can vanish or disappear.

2 - Get creative and make wind flow into the cabins through Aluminum Natural Roof Ventilation Fans which will put breeze into the cabins naturally without wasting power. I say get creative because you will need these to look nice and that will be hard.

Cheers !

Room Tip: Get the Magnolia Cabin
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank lajuch
Reviewed 15 July 2013 via mobile

After a 20 hour trip and 7 hours of jetlag this was the perfect place to get used to Mexico with our kids aged 11, 9 and 1 years old. The magnolia room along the beach was fantastic. Staff is very friendly and the food is great. Close to here there are many other nice restaurants like Hardwood and Zebra. Next time we are in Tulum we will stay here again!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank bolpallandt
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

Where do I start! From the minute we arrived we knew it was going to be perfect. I traveled to Tulum for the second time with my girlfriend. Last time we stayed at Zamas hotel, which was lovely but this time, we wanted to stay a bit further down the beach road.

From the moment we arrived at Casa Violeta, we were welcomed by the receptionist Jess. She gave us a thorough tour of the grounds, showed us to our amazing cabana 'Lily.'

The Lily cabana was a perfect size for the two of us. Right on the beach with front/center view of the beach and sea - exactly what we wanted. There is one queen bed and one twin bed - which we used for our belongings but can comfortably fit one person.

The staff were amazing; felt like they were old friends...Cristian, Sol, Flor, Carlos and Jess...people who added to the holiday experience.

Pizzas and the cocktails were great and the beach was idyllic.

Our friends who stayed in Tulum at other hotels, joined us everyday at the beach in front of Casa Violeta. It is the best stretch of beach in Tulum.

If you are looking for air conditioning and modernities, look elsewhere. If you are looking for a Eco-chic rustic getaway, to deplug and renew... Go on and book your tickets and stay at Casa Violeta... You won't regret it.

Thanks Casa Violeta...our 2nd visit to Tulum was perfect. See you for the third visit very soon.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank marti243
upstate new york
Reviewed 9 June 2013

Love hearing the sound of the waves all day long. The restaurant has wonderful food and drinks.
My favorite cocktail is the Violeta mojito. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. Would return there in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Get rooms facing the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Napa, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

Casa Violeta rooms are minimal, but that's part of its charm. It's peaceful, serene, has a beautiful yoga studio and a fantastic restaraunt. The staff are kind and have an easy going attitude that's makes you feel immediately relaxed.
I wouldn't stay in a room close to the road, as its loud. I could also hear the generator, but it didn't bother me.
Overall, This place is a little slice of heaven and I can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2013