“Home away from home”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lethbridge, Canada
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

There are several reasons LSM has been and will continue to be voted #1 bed and breakfast in the Tulum area---Lou and Moe. The most generous, giving, knowledgable hostesses ever! The property is a complete reflection of this amazing couple. This property makes you forget that there really is another world outside the LSM entrance. It is enchanting, relaxing, and SAFE!!!! This is our 2nd stay in 2 years. Last year we stayed a total of 12 days! It was the most relaxing, and reviving holiday we had been on in quite sometime. Because of the excellent recommendations of sites, tours, shopping and restaurants, we fell in love with the Tulum area! So much so that we decided that this was the place we definitely would like to escape to every winter in our retirement years. Everything that Lou and Moe would recommend to us was spot on! Everything from Lou's directions to tourist areas,or shopping, to Moe's favorite food and beach locations. Because of this, a true friendship and trust was built. It was with Lou's recommendations that we go and check out the new condo complexes being built at Aldea Zama. Lou steered us in the right direction as who to contact about the new complexes and what questions we should be asking (a lot different buying property in Mexico versus Canada). When we decided to buy, Lou and Moe were still available to us to answer any questions we had (and we had many). Lou gave us their contacts for realtor, lawyer, Fide Camisole, insurance, internet, and even where the best deals were for buying furniture. I cannot say enough about the generosity of this couple! So if you are coming to Tulum with any preconceived notion of buying vacation/retirement property, I would highly recommend that you book your stay at LSM. It is a relaxing , great place to get your thoughts together kinda place. You will get honest information that you can trust. Lou and Moe LOVE this area and want only the best experiences for their visitors and the local people of Tulum. Believe me, because of this amazing B&B you will want to return again, and again, and again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
selvamariposa, Owner at La Selva Mariposa, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you so much for all the kind words and we are happy to know that we have some new friends living here near us. We are always happy to share our experience and knowledge of the area to our guest and who knows maybe a future neighbor. Hope to be seeing you soon watching the Sun set from your Penthouse in Tulum.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
maryland
Reviewed 15 June 2014

The Tulum beach is spectacular, but to start and end your day at Mariposa is better than staying at the beach. You hear the waterfalls, the tree frogs, take a dip in your private pool/man made cenote, take a soak in the rooftop hot tub with a margarita by Lou, and devour a delicious home-made breakfast--fruit, yogurt, eggs, pancakes, muffins.....Lou and Mo have created a spectacular jungle oasis, and they are lovely people full of great advice and recommendations. We used their personalized day trip guide as our bible, and each place they suggested was better than the next---Coba ruins, Ziggy Beach, Sac Actun Cenote. Mariposa is one of those secret places you don't want to share, but I have to sing their praises because it is a wonderful place.

Room Tip: Lou will try to catch and relocate the noisiest tree frogs.....
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
selvamariposa, Owner at La Selva Mariposa, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks for the great review and for NOT keeping La Selva Mariposa a secret. We carved this little paradise out of the sometimes stark, sometimes lush Mayan jungle to be able to share it with others. Reviews like yours will guide the right-minded people to our door. For that we thank you. Lou and I invite you to return to LSM, as we are always making improvements and adding fun little nitches to the jungle property.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This review is 5 months late, though the fantastic experience I had here is still fresh in my mind! I was trying to mind my budget and had booked some nights at a Posada in Tulum town but loved it so much here that I stayed an extra night. It was difficult to enjoy the next spot because LaSelva is just so amazing that it's difficult to top. One normally does not want rain on vacation but this place makes it magical - the sound of rain and a waterfall outside your room is difficult to describe. When sunny, you can just float about hidden in the jungle. I've traveled to many exotic locations and this is one of the most intimate experiences I've had anywhere. I can't wait to return and bring my friends along. (Mari is an amazing human being by the way. Good energy to be around. And Lou makes a mean margarita.)

Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
selvamariposa, Owner at La Selva Mariposa, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
I knew right away when I read the review who had written it, Funny, I felt like it was just yesterday that you were here soaking in the jacuzzi, except that I remember how chilly it was and how you looked so cozy draped in the blanket. Thanks so very much for the beautiful review, and I must say it brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the" from the heart" comments. Come back, the first margarita is on us.
California, United States
Reviewed 11 June 2014

My newly minted husband and I saved at LSM in March of 2014. We had a great time and appreciated the homey atmosphere of the pueblo and B&B. We went around spring break time and were trying to avoid the crowds in the Cancun/Playa del Carmen area. LSM was a perfect retreat away from all of that, but close to plenty of amazing things to do.

The B&B itself is beautiful and well maintained. Our room (#4) was huge and lovely. The indoor/outdoor bathroom was great. I loved the rain shower. This room would definitely be big enough for a small family or two couples who don't mind getting cozy, but we loved having all of the space to ourselves. The sitting area was perfect for reading and relaxing at night, while the upstairs hammocks were great for reading during the day.

The breakfasts are delicious and varied. Mari and Lou treated us like family (including making fun of my husband for not liking eggs, hah!). The dogs were also great! As somewhat of a nervous traveler, I loved having them around.

LSM is about 10-15 min from tulum and 20-30 min from the beach (depending on traffic). It was never too hard to get down there, and we appreciated the quiet of macario gomez (super cute pueblo!). It does offer much easier access to the ruins at Coba and Chichen Itza. We did both as half day trips.

Things to do right around LSM:
*Taqueria right across the road: delicious, super friendly and inexpensive.
*Honey store: friendly service and great local gifts to take home
*Los Piratas: down the road a couple hundred meters-we walked there for dinner on a number of occasions. Pizza and Ceviche were both delicious. Bring your own wine!
*Unico: one of the first restaurants on the right as you enter Tulum. Great for a date night.

Room Tip: Room 4 is huge and lovely. Private pool is cold in the winter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Karla L
Thanks so much for the lovely review. It is so meaningful that you took the time to write the review, considering all there is to do when you return from a honeymoon. We are very grateful that you chose LSM for part of your Riviera Maya vacation in an area where there are so many wonderful options. Thanks again. Why not make it an annual trip. See you next March.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 June 2014

After reading this review, you should book your stay at La Selva Mariposa. Or just take my word for it and book your stay now! My boyfriend and I celebrated my birthday week here and it was everything we wanted and expected. LSM is the perfect oasis to enjoy both the jungle and Tulum beaches.

The B&B: Lou and Moe were the best hosts and made sure we were well taken care of and comfortable during our stay. We seek out B&B's when we plan a vacation and LSM was such a special place. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and room #2 was the best. They have created a hidden paradise that will not disappoint. The breakfasts every morning were simply delish but a few of my favorites were the daily fresh juices, egg frittata, and the whole wheat coconut pancakes. Everything was fresh and lots of herbs from the roof top garden were used. Very filling and enough food to hold you well into the afternoon. I must mention the grounds again because there is little something for everyone. There are a few cenote style pools for some of the rooms, a jacuzzi, a yoga/exercise area, a massage room, pyramid style steam room, trails to explore the plants, trees flowers and wildlife, hammocks to relax in and the communal kitchen area where you can read, play games or just relax. Oh and they have bikes that you can use to explore the nearby pueblos.

A few things to note that I was very impressed by as they have gone above and beyond to to make sure you are all set for your beach vacation - a packed beach bag with towels and sarongs ready to go in your room, reusable water bottles to take on daily excursions to cut back on buying plastic water bottles, honey soap and shampoo from the local honey store in Mercario Gomez.

Things to do: Moe and Lou will make great recommendations based on what you want to do. A few of our favorites from the trip and things we highly recommend:

Yoga at Ohau and relax on there beach afterwards
Zac ca Tun cenote (hidden gem but probably not for long, thanks for this recommendation Lou!!)
Tulum ruins (go around 3pm when it is less crowded and the sun is not so intense) Also be sure to swim near the ruins
Day trip to Coba ruins and 3 nearest cenotes. We had a blast riding around the ruins on rented bikes
Bike ride to the 3 nearest pueblos to do some shopping, stop at the local honey store (great souvenir items here). This is a great work out and nothing will feel better than a dip in the cenote pool at LSM.
Mayan clay facial (Moe has clay for sample, a small bit goes a long way and I gave myself a facial twice) or get a Mayan clay massage. We didn't do this but wish we would have ;)
Walk around the grounds of LSM
Just relax - curl up and read a book in a hammock

Places to eat: Try the local restaurants in the local pueblo Gomez. We had a few good meals and it was fun to eat at a local place instead of driving into downtown Tulum. We also had a few good meals in town - Aguachilles (great seafood and vegetarian tacos), LaLuna (beach bar with good food and drinks), Charlie's (good vegetarian plate). My boyfriend only eats fish/seafood and I am vegetarian and we found good food pretty much everyday.

Beaches: There is a beach for all beach lovers and sun worshipers. We preferred the north end as it was more lo key and the water was a bit calmer. We found ourselves at Zakil Kin 4 out of 5 days because we loved the rustic feel, great service and beach. You get 1 drink with chair rental and the first day we ordered gaucamole and ceviche. Only snacks are served (not a full menu) There are also palm trees to find shade under when the sun gets to be too much.

Things to note: if you bring currency other than pesos there are a few money exchange places in town. Don't do this at a bank. Bring pesos to cenotes for sure.

Moe and Lou were just wonderful. Lou tells great stories about the property and what it took to create this sliver of bliss. He is very witty with a great sense of humor. Moe is wonderful too and her peaceful calm demeanor was wonderful. She always made sure we were set for the day with directions, information, and fresh beach towels. Being in the property management business, I understand the importance of customer service and L&M created a unique experience for us that we will not forget and we will refer them to anyone looking for the best place to stay in Tulum!

Room Tip: Room #2 was perfect but I am sure all rooms are great. Super comfy beds!!
3 Thank MonkeyLaLa23
Oh my, that was a lovely review. You mentioned so many of the things we treasure and love sharing at LSM with guests like yourself. Please come back and be aware that we are always upgrading the buildings and property and adding new features each year. At this moment we are finishing the replacing of sacate and guano on all of our palapa roof as we know the rainy season is at hand. It was a bit rainy the first week of June as it is every year, but has been gorgeous this week. The best part of summer at LSM is that our cenote style pools are perfect for cooling off day or night. Thanks again.
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 31 May 2014

La Selva Mariposa offered more then we could have ever imagined. 5 star rooms (other than the bed which was a bit hard), beautiful grounds and surroundings, and a pool and hammock right out the front door; what more could you ask for? Mari and Lou were gracious hosts who opened their jungle paradise to us. The breakfast was better than a restaurant and included American staples with a Yucatan twist. They offered great suggestions for day long excursions that kept us busy during our stay. We could have stayed much longer!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
selvamariposa, Owner at La Selva Mariposa, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
How lucky we are to have such wonderful guests as yourselves to share out little paradise in the Mayan jungle with. Please come back and thanks for the lovely review.
Reviewed 27 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at La Selva Mariposa on May 2-5, 2014 during part of our honeymoon trip and we absolutely loved it. We stayed in suite #4 and the room was splendid - Mari and Lou really go out of their way to think about every small detail; from the books detailing the area including tours, tips and tricks, a minifridge with drinks, a beach bag with two beach towels, fresh flowers and plants, and the AMAZING breakfasts (which my husband cannot stop raving about and trying to recreate since we left) - La Selva is truly a wonderful place that you should visit. We stayed at an all inclusive resort during the second part of our trip and truly wishes we had stayed at LSM the whole time instead. Don't bother looking at any other b&b's or hotels in the Tulum area!! You won't regret it.

Room Tip: suite #4 is very spacious and has it's own private cenote
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
selvamariposa, Owner at La Selva Mariposa, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
thanks so very much for your amazing review. We love it when guests let us know the difference they experience staying at our little oasis vs. one of the grand all-inclusive resorts along the Riviera Maya. We are special and love to share what we created , with Mother Nature's help, in this little piece of paradise. Thanks again and you are only a few hours away, so we hope to see you again.