“Great staff and great food. A great hotel for younger folks.”
Review of Teetotum Hotel

Teetotum Hotel
Ranked #33 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a hard review to write. I had a lovely time during my stay in Tulum at the Teetotum. But, I must be honest. This hotel would have been perfect for me if I was still in my 20s and 30s. But, sadly, I'm not. And, in actuality it appears to be somewhat of a hangout for folks in their 20s and 30s.
The staff, including Lydia, Eva, Diego, etc. were incredibly friendly and helpful, as was Richard, the owner, and the other folks who were about the place. And the food was fabulous! Really, really good!
As far as being a stone's throw from the beach, I'd like to see that stone thrower! You need to either bicycle (and you can borrow from the hotel) or take a cab. But the town was within walking distance and there's a large supermarket essentially across the road.
For me, the lighting in the room was not good. There was not a comfortable chair to read in with a good light. If I wanted to read, the only place was on the bed. I stripped the bed after the first night and used two comforters as mattress pads to get the bed to be a little softer, which helped. I had to buy an alarm clock so I could get up in time to catch my flight out, as there is no one around at night.
Again, I had a lovely time, but I think I'm about the age at which I'd like a little extra comfort.
Oh, I must add that the price is great for both the rooms and the food and the happy hours. So, it's a mixed review. I don't think I'd go back, but I would easily recommend it to some of my younger friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Vickie W
super16, Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

hola vicki,
thank you for taking the time to write your review. we have attempted to design a hotel that is comfortable, well serviced, attentive, friendly and accommodating for everyone. it's true most of our guests are 20's or 30's but we want to create an atmosphere attractive to all. we certainly are protective of our guests and don'y pander to late naught parties,, loud music, etc which is somewhat prevalent in a beach community such as tulum. and we do love our firm beds! so we are truly sorry your trip wasn't more satisfying, tho we know you love the floaty tour and especially your visit to the cenote. we are currently evaluating our handsome acapulco rocking chair (which we adore) and our upholstered bench to see if perhaps there may be an additional stable chair for reading. we will let you know when we address it properly.
again, thank you for your appraisal and we are sorry that you didn't find our hotel more satisfying.
we do hope you visit tulum and stop in to say hello and perhaps enjoy the fruits of our restaurant

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stay in town or stay on the beach? I say: both but definitely stay at Teetotum! A girlfriend and I recently stayed a week in Tulum and divided our time about 50/50 with a cabana on the beach and a room at the Teetotum. I have to say that the beach has it's charm (hammock on the sand), but for my money, next time I go back, I'm gonna definitely stay at Teetotum. First of all, the beach is a 15-20 minute bike ride from the Teetotum (free bikes to borrow), so check. But Richard and his staff, the hip vibe, interesting conversations, delicious food, nice cocktails, adorable cats and dog, and air conditioning, make this place feel like a home away from home. Richard (NY transplant) is so fun to talk to- he has a really honest demeanor and account of what is Tulum and many interesting stories to share. His dog Dali is the cutest. One of my best meals in Tulum was the Grouper and 4 stacked veggie salad at Teetotum. Not to mention delicious, authentic, cheap taquerias are but a short bike ride away in town. Also, there's a huge supermarket across the street from Teetotum, for those of us who like to save a peso and buy food supplies for lunch, etc. Plus, staying at Teetotum, it was a bit easier to motivate to venture out to nearby ruins, cenotes, and villages for day trips, as opposed to getting sucked into the lazy beach vortex (although, I agree, there is a time for that, too).
i <3 teetotum!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
scoutroberts, General Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

hola sarah,
nice to hear from you and thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review AND for bringing up such a topical point. in tulum, clearly, there are compelling reasons to stay on the beach and there are those for staying in town.
we dig your thought, either stay here at teetotum or at least half the visit here and half on the beach as these 2 fat cats and hungry dog are getting expensive to feed! haha.
seriously, come enjoy tulum as it has lots to offer and at times it does easier to motivate oneself in town as opposed to the lovely lethargy that may set in on the beach.
in any event, sarah, thank you again and we certainly hope to see you again in the not too distant future in safe and sunny tulum
best,
richard, dali an dour staff

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here in September 2012 for our honeymoon and it was just amazing. I've been meaning to write this review for quite some time so here it goes.
Richard is crazy nice and very helpful, really went the extra mile for us. We had some good chats and Dali, the dog, is a real cutie. The staff is cool and have loads if tips of places to explore. It's like a big family without being intruding.
Food is excellent, one of the best in whole of Tulum actually. This makes it easy to stay in for some nights without feeling that you're missing out.
On top of this it's a great location, close to both the beach and town. The free bikes makes it easy to get around.

A definite recommendation if you're planning a trip here. Miss it so much

/Emil & Kristin

• Stayed: September 2012
scoutroberts, General Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

hola guys!,
thank you so kindly for your kind appraisal of our humble hotel. we really enjoy hosting honeymooners as they are on cloud 9 and everything is always perfect for them (even when its not!. only half kidding!) we are super pleased to hear that you both enjoyed our hotel and we all, even dali hope to see you again in safe and sunny tulum. maybe for your anniversary? the chefs were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant's fare.
thank you again.

Reviewed 3 April 2013

I have been meaning to write this review for a very long time. My wife and I went to Tulum in the spring of 2011 for our honeymoon. We loved staying at Teetotum. The staff was so friendly and gave us plenty of advice on things to do and see in the area. We enjoyed the fact that we were close to the town but could also get to the beach easily. Our room was clean, comfortable and the water for the shower was never cold! There are only four rooms here so it was quiet and very peaceful, we had the whole place to ourselves for most of our stay. We found ourselves hanging out at the hotel more then we planned just because we enjoyed the atmosphere, food and company at Teetotum so much. Thank you Richard and staff!! We will definitely be back, can't wait!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
scoutroberts, Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2013

sean and steph hello!
thank you for your kind review of our hotel. it was a pleasure to have met you and especially cool to have been in the bar when you casually discovered your old grade school chum drinking beside you in the bar. since we have become Facebook friends it gives us great pleasure to see all the cool stuff you do with harleys and your killer chevy wagon.
so have your baby, get back into the swing of things and pay us another visit
we have just purchased an ewer, more fancy espresso machine, so you wife has a job teaching us all her tricks when you guys return!

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Teetotum was an inviting, relaxed place that had a lot of heart! (Something that we didn't get in other locations.) We loved the staff who where so helpful, kind and gracious w our lack of spanish. The food was amazing. Really the best food we had while in Mexico. We lived on Banana french toast and delicious greek salads and homemade bread! The rooms where just as nice as they looked online and Richard was nice enough to bring a small bed even for my son. They offered us lots of friendly advice when we needed it too. We played chess and made some art in the lovely cafe and courtyard and even had a chance to catch up online. I really appreciated the overall vibe of Teetotum. It was an oasis!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family

hola friend,
thank you so much for your kind review. we don't often have the opportunity to have young people stay with us and your son was a stone groove. we really appreciated that he enjoyed dali, our pooch and the fat cats, too.
so when you have time, please return to magical tulum and visit with us again as we love returning guests- it's like having a friend come visit.
stay well and we hope to see you soon in safe and sunny tulum.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

Staff was very nice! Ana was a doll, and Dali was so sweet! Nice spacious rooms, rooftop lounge, great food and drinks at the hotel (American prices), and a hammock and other comfy seats throughout the hotel. It's all open, you can always feel a breeze from outside! Loved that. They have bikes too, so you can totally ride to town. We actually rode a few miles to a cenote :)

The only negative thing was that on our 2nd night (we stayed 3 nights), the electricity went out due to strong winds (it was August). Without electricity it is HOT, even at 12 am. There was not any staff on grounds to contact and let them know this had happened... not one person! We didn't get electricity back til about 10 or 11 the next morning. The owner did not try to compensate us, or didn't really seem to be apologetic. But he is a super sweet man, and I know I am a very sensitive person! Overall I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

hola amigos,
thank you for your positive review of our humble hotel. we really appreciate it when our guests take the time to review us, especially when its so kind.
may we take the time to apologize about the loss of power for one of the nights you were staying with us. one of the benefits, usually, of being so near town is that we are on the "grid" and our electricity is provided (expensively, but provided, nevertheless) by the municipality. however, that being said, at times, particularly in the deepest part of the summer, brown outs can occur and all we can do is wait it out and hope that the service returns quickly. please forgive for not explaining that to you in a more satisfying manner.
hopefully you will return to magical tulum and stay with us again. we hope so!

Reviewed 31 March 2013

Such a great place, so beautiful and peaceful, big clean rooms with a good internet connection, wanted to stay longer... the food was delicious and a perfect location. Staff super helpful, Richard, you are the best, thank you for all!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends

hola amiga!
gracias for your positive review of our hotel. it is a great pleasure for us when we meet people from all over the globe who come to discover magical tulum, pay us a visit and then leave as newly made friends. we are very appreciative of your stating how much you enjoyed what we try to do for our guests- the beauty of our place is the people like you who come to share some time with us!
come back soon.