“Great Place..”
Review of Teetotum Hotel

Teetotum Hotel
Ranked #28 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Teetotum is a wonderful place to stay, to eat, and to relax and simply enjoy. The owner and staff are very friendly, full of advise to help you enjoy your trip. The food in the bar/restaurant is nothing less than fantastic.. Unlike most of the beach hotels, if it is hot and humid.. Your room has air conditioning. Going to the beaches is no problem with the bike path right in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
scoutroberts, Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

steve moore,
hello stranger! its about time you revisit tulum, no? we haven't seen you in a while, so bring the special lady friend and spend a few days with us again soon!
hope to see you both soon!
thank you!
richard, dali and staff

Reviewed 5 June 2013

Over the years, I've stayed at many hotels in Tulum - both in town and on the beach, solo and with friends. Teetotum remains my all time favorite! The rooms are stylish and huge, each with a large king size bed, AC (must in the summer months), nice shower, and a cute little patio. With only 4 rooms in the hotel, you definitely get peace and quiet in the evening time. More importantly, everyone who works there are extremely nice and makes you feel like you are one of the lucky ones who gets to live in Tulum. Quickly, you will be sharing stories and drinks with regulars and fellow travelers. While there, be sure to try the french toast, huevos rancheros, and all the drinks on the menu!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
scoutroberts, Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2013

an, what a pleasure it was to host your trip to tulum again. it is always a pleasure to chat with you and play with your unbelievably cute little pooch, babu. we hope you return many more times to tulum and hope to celebrate with you when your dissection is finally complete (remember 15 minutes a day minimum, haha).
thank you for visiting and again thank you for taking time from your busy schedule to share some time in paradise with us all.
love always, richard, dali and teetotum staff!

Reviewed 2 June 2013

My husband and I headed to Tulum somewhat on a whim, based on the recommendation of someone on Holbox Island. Luckily, there was a room available at Teetotum, and our planned one-night stay turned into three, because we were so happy there. We were greeted by Olivia, and after we got settled in, she made us some delicious mojitos. We ended up eating at the hotel at least once a day, and every meal we had was delicious. The staff members and the owner, Richard, were all very friendly and had some helpful suggestions and restaurant recommendations. The rooms are charming and clean. The hotel is not super-luxurious, and it might not be for everyone, but my husband and I were very comfortable. The beach, the ruins and downtown are very close, which is handy, and Coba is just a short drive away. We would definitely go back, and we hope to again. Thanks, Richard, for an excellent stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

hey guys,.
thank you very much for for lovely review. what a capricious event stumbling upon our humble hotel. we too are grateful for those people in hobos who recommended tulum.
i have shared your review with our staff who were pleased as punch with your kindness and we all hope to see you both again in safe and sunny tulum!
best,
richard, dali and the teetotum staff
we love you

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stopped in here for a last minute room, and so happy we did! The owner is really nice and down to earth, makes you feel at home right away (as does all the staff, and pets!) Room was perfect, super comfy large bed, cool AC, safe, mini fridge. Bikes are provided if you want and I like how its in between town and the beach. Easy location to grab a cab, also across from the Chedraui if you want to buy any snacks. Our favorite part was the restaurant / lounge area. Food was delicious (we did breakfast and lunch there), 5-7 happy hour, and fast wifi. Will definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

hola jillian,
hope all is well with you in brooklyn. thank you so much for your super kind review of our humble hotel. we really enjoyed meeting with you both and super enjoyed lounging about lazily with you in the restaurant daily. we have a feeling you will return to tulum soon and of course we hope to host your next visit.
thank you again for you kind words and hurry back- you are exactly the people we hoped would visit when we decided to begin this journey 6 years ago!
cheers!
we love you!

Reviewed 20 May 2013

This is a hard review to write. I had a lovely time during my stay in Tulum at the Teetotum. But, I must be honest. This hotel would have been perfect for me if I was still in my 20s and 30s. But, sadly, I'm not. And, in actuality it appears to be somewhat of a hangout for folks in their 20s and 30s.
The staff, including Lydia, Eva, Diego, etc. were incredibly friendly and helpful, as was Richard, the owner, and the other folks who were about the place. And the food was fabulous! Really, really good!
As far as being a stone's throw from the beach, I'd like to see that stone thrower! You need to either bicycle (and you can borrow from the hotel) or take a cab. But the town was within walking distance and there's a large supermarket essentially across the road.
For me, the lighting in the room was not good. There was not a comfortable chair to read in with a good light. If I wanted to read, the only place was on the bed. I stripped the bed after the first night and used two comforters as mattress pads to get the bed to be a little softer, which helped. I had to buy an alarm clock so I could get up in time to catch my flight out, as there is no one around at night.
Again, I had a lovely time, but I think I'm about the age at which I'd like a little extra comfort.
Oh, I must add that the price is great for both the rooms and the food and the happy hours. So, it's a mixed review. I don't think I'd go back, but I would easily recommend it to some of my younger friends.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Vickie W
super16, Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2013

hola vicki,
thank you for taking the time to write your review. we have attempted to design a hotel that is comfortable, well serviced, attentive, friendly and accommodating for everyone. it's true most of our guests are 20's or 30's but we want to create an atmosphere attractive to all. we certainly are protective of our guests and don'y pander to late naught parties,, loud music, etc which is somewhat prevalent in a beach community such as tulum. and we do love our firm beds! so we are truly sorry your trip wasn't more satisfying, tho we know you love the floaty tour and especially your visit to the cenote. we are currently evaluating our handsome acapulco rocking chair (which we adore) and our upholstered bench to see if perhaps there may be an additional stable chair for reading. we will let you know when we address it properly.
again, thank you for your appraisal and we are sorry that you didn't find our hotel more satisfying.
we do hope you visit tulum and stop in to say hello and perhaps enjoy the fruits of our restaurant

Reviewed 9 May 2013

Stay in town or stay on the beach? I say: both but definitely stay at Teetotum! A girlfriend and I recently stayed a week in Tulum and divided our time about 50/50 with a cabana on the beach and a room at the Teetotum. I have to say that the beach has it's charm (hammock on the sand), but for my money, next time I go back, I'm gonna definitely stay at Teetotum. First of all, the beach is a 15-20 minute bike ride from the Teetotum (free bikes to borrow), so check. But Richard and his staff, the hip vibe, interesting conversations, delicious food, nice cocktails, adorable cats and dog, and air conditioning, make this place feel like a home away from home. Richard (NY transplant) is so fun to talk to- he has a really honest demeanor and account of what is Tulum and many interesting stories to share. His dog Dali is the cutest. One of my best meals in Tulum was the Grouper and 4 stacked veggie salad at Teetotum. Not to mention delicious, authentic, cheap taquerias are but a short bike ride away in town. Also, there's a huge supermarket across the street from Teetotum, for those of us who like to save a peso and buy food supplies for lunch, etc. Plus, staying at Teetotum, it was a bit easier to motivate to venture out to nearby ruins, cenotes, and villages for day trips, as opposed to getting sucked into the lazy beach vortex (although, I agree, there is a time for that, too).
i <3 teetotum!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
scoutroberts, General Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2013

hola sarah,
nice to hear from you and thank you very much for taking the time to write such a positive review AND for bringing up such a topical point. in tulum, clearly, there are compelling reasons to stay on the beach and there are those for staying in town.
we dig your thought, either stay here at teetotum or at least half the visit here and half on the beach as these 2 fat cats and hungry dog are getting expensive to feed! haha.
seriously, come enjoy tulum as it has lots to offer and at times it does easier to motivate oneself in town as opposed to the lovely lethargy that may set in on the beach.
in any event, sarah, thank you again and we certainly hope to see you again in the not too distant future in safe and sunny tulum
best,
richard, dali an dour staff

Reviewed 22 April 2013

We stayed here in September 2012 for our honeymoon and it was just amazing. I've been meaning to write this review for quite some time so here it goes.
Richard is crazy nice and very helpful, really went the extra mile for us. We had some good chats and Dali, the dog, is a real cutie. The staff is cool and have loads if tips of places to explore. It's like a big family without being intruding.
Food is excellent, one of the best in whole of Tulum actually. This makes it easy to stay in for some nights without feeling that you're missing out.
On top of this it's a great location, close to both the beach and town. The free bikes makes it easy to get around.

A definite recommendation if you're planning a trip here. Miss it so much

/Emil & Kristin

• Stayed: September 2012
scoutroberts, General Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2013

hola guys!,
thank you so kindly for your kind appraisal of our humble hotel. we really enjoy hosting honeymooners as they are on cloud 9 and everything is always perfect for them (even when its not!. only half kidding!) we are super pleased to hear that you both enjoyed our hotel and we all, even dali hope to see you again in safe and sunny tulum. maybe for your anniversary? the chefs were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant's fare.
thank you again.