If you are looking for a friendly, laid back place to stay while vacationing in Tulum, then the Teetotum Hotel is for you!
Let me count the ways:
1. Hospitality - Unlike staying at a resort where you are just another guest, at Teetotum its almost like you are family! There are only 4 rooms and everyone working there from the owner to the employees treat you like one of their friends. Richard the owner couldn't be more friendly and was always more than willing to offer up suggestions on places to go and see and great at telling stories. After a few days it became really easy to just lounge around and chit chat over some drinks.
2. Location, location, location - I can't emphasize this enough. If you are looking for a trip mixing time relaxing on the beach, to visiting town, to checking out ruins then there is no other place to stay than Teetotum! It is situated between the beach and town and both are simple to get to. Another great thing that the hotel offers is free bike usage. My wife and I took advantage of this almost the entire time we were there. On bike, the beach is just about 2 miles straight down the road and it makes for a quick 15 minute ride. We would get to the beach, lock the bikes and enjoy the ocean and sun, plus we were able to check out several different beach locations this way. In addition, the town of Tulum is literally right around the corner. Within town are some great local restaurants (Don Cafeto & the fantastic gelato place come to mind) and plenty of shops for anyone wishing to pick up some souvenirs. Another great advantage to Teetotum is its location to the Supermarket. Just a block away is a large local supermarket which came in super handy for stocking up on bottled water and snacks for an inexpensive price. Also, up the block from the hotel is a car rental place. We didn't initially rent a car, but when we got there we decided we wanted to venture out and the car rental place nearby made it really easy (approx $37 a day for a small car). This was great because not too far from Tulum are the ruins of Coba (about 30 min away) and Chichen Itza (about 2 hrs). If you are up for the drive it is well worth it! Both are easy to get to and on Richard's suggestion on the way to Chichen Itza we stopped in a old colonial town called Vallidolid for a terrific lunch at a place called Hotel El Meson del Marques (Thanks, Richard!)...In addition there are the Ruins right in Tulum which are super close and plenty of cenotes (underwater caves) to check out. We spent a day at Hidden Worlds and snorkeled in the cenotes as well as some cool zip lining and repelling down into the caves! So like I said, Teetoum is a great jumping off point for all activities in the area.
3. The Hotel Itself - Like I mentioned earlier the hotel is made up only 4 large rooms, with a king sized bed, iPod docking station, mini fridge (great for chilling bottled water from the supermarket. And beer of course!) and a safe. The rooms are simple and nice and offer what I consider an important feature: The air conditioner! Comes in handy on those hot hot days at the beach and its one thing the cabanas and hotels on the beaches don't offer and its really nice to have. The hotel has a great lounge area with a hammock and dipping pool which was nice just to relax in and have a drink. Food was delicious (especially the french toast stuffed with carmelized bananas with sweet farmer's cheese!) and the chef was a nice gal from the States. (Hey V!)
Another fun feature of the hotel is movie night on Fri, Sat, and Sun. After a long active day it was fun to have the option to just relax on the rooftop under the stars and catch a flick. (Even if that flick was Twilight!). The best part about Teetotum was that it really felt more like you were staying over a friend's house than some big resort. We got to meet new people, make new friends and have a great adventure in Tulum and we couldn't have done it without Teetotum Hotel!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Teetotum is a small laid back boutique hotel situated in Tulum, in Mexico's Caribbean Riviera Maya. Because of the design, amenities, and ambiance, Teetotum exists as a unique hotel experience. The modern, sleek space and attention to detail, from the handcrafted bench on your private patio to the fresh squeezed tropical juice at breakfast, create a hip atmosphere of comfort and relaxation. On the road to the beach, Teetotum lies just off Tulum Pueblo's lively main street, and a stones throw from Tulum's magnificent white sand Caribbean beaches. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Teetotum Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Teetotum Hotel Tulum