“Rusitc charm on a perfect beach”

Zulum Beach Club + Cabanas
Ranked #53 of 116 Speciality Lodging in Tulum
Mexico City, Mexico
“Rusitc charm on a perfect beach”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Came to Tulum for a long weekend form Mexico City and played it by ear. It was low season, so prices were very negotiable. I think that is the key to this place: negotiating the price to where it should be given its rustic elements. Such elements include that their is no a/c (but there are fans in the rooms), the water for bathing is half well water half sea water and the bathrooms don't offer a lot of privacy. That said, people need to remember that Tulúm isn´t Playa del Carmen. You come to Tulúm becuase it is literally on top of the beach and for its isolated feel. At any rate, we were some of only a few guests there, and we were treated very well. Food was decent and drinks were given to us for half price. We didn't settle up the bill until the last day and they were fine with that. The beach right in front is incredible and they have a small pool as well. The rooms are rustic but with some nice touches like organic shampoos and mirror made of slices of tree stump with irregular forms, and we had a beach front balcony with a hammock, bean bag and wooden chair. In the end I would come again as long as the price takes into account that it isn't on the level of the more upscale places that have popped up in recent years.

Room Tip: best to go with abeach front room if you can swing it, on the second floor (or what they would call...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank grilango

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 10 September 2012

The hotel is well situated but it needs better services. poor electricity and salty water is ok for a couple of days, but if you are looking for comfort, you have to stay in downtown Tulum. You can go to the and enjoy the beach every day, and get back to your confortable room with good services.

Downtown also offers plenty of good restaurants and old town mexican atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 31 August 2012 via mobile

we stayed here in October 2007. at that time, zulum was still a new property & the view from the second story beach front room was amazing.

but, while we waited forever for breakfast one morning, the cleaning people cleaned our room. when we returned to the room, I saw that I had left my wallet on the coffee table & later realized that money was missing from it. I knew I shouldn't have left it out in the open so I didn't mention it.

then the next day, after the cleaning people had cleaned again, I noticed that a travelers check was missing from my purse that was hidden underneath all my clothes in the closet. I had to report the incident to the police in order to be reimbursed for the missing money.

After reporting the incident, I told management what had happened & they refused to believe that their employee(s) stole from us. they thought I was lying or had lost it myself. I'd never had anything like this happen before & couldn't believe they were ignoring the situation.

overall, I loved the view & actually liked the swinging bed. I do remember the electricity & the shower being spotty, but I
just chalked it up to being "eco-friendly". I definitely didn't feel safe after the theft incidents nor did I want the staff in my room again, but most importantly, I didn't feel like the management truly cared about their guests.

I'm writing this review nearly 5 years later so clearly I'm still annoyed.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank carter1976

Travellers are raving about these Tulum hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 21 July 2012

After staying one night at an overly expensive stuffy, hot, trying to be "hip and groovy" cabana place down the road, Zulum seemed like a paradise. We stayed on the the thrid floor of one of the building closest to the beach. The view was amazing, and the room was cute and cozy, with a thatched roof, hanging beds, hammocks, glass doors, cute little windows, and cool lighting fixtures made out of conch shells. The only downsides to this place were that the shower only had cold water, although this was probly just in our room, and the toilet was right under the showerhead, which was a little strange. Othe than that though, It was great. The beach front bar and loung was nice because you could grab a drink and relax on outdoor couches, hammocks, or under umbrellas on the beach. The staff at Zulum was very friendly and helpful. It's a great place to stay righ on the water, and I recommend it to anyone traveling in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Aspen, Colorado
Reviewed 31 January 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel Zulum a total of 8 nights this past November. We had the most wonderful time. The rooms were clean and had a rustic kind of charm. The staff (Jaunito, Mauro, and others) was amazingly helpful and friendly. We enjoyed many meals at the hotel restaurant which featured fresh fish and lobster for reasonable prices. The management (Chris) was also very friendly and accommodating. We are really mellow people who wanted a chill beach vacation and to meet some of the locals. Hotel Zulum was the perfect place for us!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Kingfield, Maine
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We were really lucky to stumble into this place! We spent our first night here on the third floor overlooking the ocean and then decided to spend our entire vacation here. The room itself was small but perfect for the two of us. We loved the rustic and elegant charm.

The service could not have been better. Every single staff member (yes all of them) were awesome. We were treated like guests and as friends.

The food was amazing, the best we had on the beach, by far. The shrimp ceviche was so delicious and there was so much of it, I couldn't finish. It could have easily fed us both. The continental breakfast in the morning was perfect--plates of fresh fruit, homemade bread, handmade fruit juice, and frothy hot coffee.

Even the shampoo and conditioner was fantastic.

I loved this place and if we make it back to Tulum, we will definitely stay here again. In fact, we might go back to Tulum just so we can stay here.

Room Tip: Ask to look at the rooms. They have many different kinds of rooms available depending on your needs...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 12 January 2012

We spent 7 nights at Hotel Zulum. It was not terrible, but definitely poor. The eco-chic they claim is just cheap. The hotel does need maintenance (beach chairs at the beach bar and on the beach are torn), bed linens and bathroom towels have stains everywhere, the continental breakfast is really nothing special, the restaurant is low quality (as a matter of fact it is always empty), the service is average. Our room was on the 1st floor and the stairs are steep and almost totally dark after 6 pm (very dangerous). The beach is great and the sea beautiful but this does not belong to the Zulum.
It is way too expensive for what you get.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family