“Perfecto!”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I stayed @ Cabanas La Luna after travelling through Guatemala and Belize on our Honeymoon. This was perfect for us after the travelling. We booked last minute and was actually surprised to have a room and the manager was efficient and excellent arranging this for us via email - as we had limited wifi and signal in Belize.

We we welcomed by a very friendly staff team and got to know them all well. I must point out that Oscar and Caesar were fantastic hosts and their customer service is first class! Caesar aka Margarita-Man makes the best cocktails. Oscar reserved a seat for us during the Barbecue Night which was a great night. Very attentive staff! One of the most important things for us is getting to know local people and to learn from them. We exchanged English and Spanish with Oscar during our stay and the staff taught us much about Mexico and the local area.

We stayed at Casa Blanca and Columbus cabanas which were absolutely beautiful, and exceeded our expectations. This place is quite unique for the area and we do not like big impersonal hotels. Cabanas La luna is very personal and focuses on the attention to detail to give you the best possible experience. The Cabanas are on the beach and you can hear the waves and nothing else.....

It's a very pretty setting, Very colourful ? Moroccan themed with lanterns etc. in the evening the security and marine biologists patrol the beach which is a protected area for Loggerhead and Green Turtles and they take this very seriously. Tulum is an Eco friendly area.

We had one of our most memorable experiences in the evening and saw in total about 4 female turtles nesting and also hatchlings. My wife helped one into the sea as he was lost (which is why they discourage flash lights as this can distract the baby turtles who are guided by light of the moon reflecting on the sea.

The beach is beautiful and easily the best in the whole of Yucutan. It's so peaceful and pretty.

We have mentioned the food as this will be a separate review of the restaurant Las Estrella's and team. The food here is worthy of a Michelin Star honestly, we were very impressed!

Tulum centre is a taxi trip away and there are many Cenotes in the area. We visited LabnaHa Cenotes which was a great day, but I understand that there are many to choose from. Tulum ruins is a taxi ride away or a brave walk along the beach. We were lucky to experience tropical storm Erin which added to our great trip. There are other restaurants in other hotels, but we ate at Las Estrelas every day and night as the food was consistently to a very high standard. There is a huge supermarket a short taxi trip away also where you can buy most things, it's huge! If travelling up the coast after we recommend Akumal another beautiful beach with clear shallow water and swim with the turtles. We saw lots of huge fish including a massive baracuda and sting rays and most importantly many turtles. They are such peaceful creatures.....From Tulum bus station it is very easy to travel anywhere and the ADO buses are very good.

In a nutshell, stay here and have a great time like we did. We will be back....

Room Tip: Choose a cabana on the sea, we recommend Casa Blanca or Columbus
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gaudila
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review for others. We are thrilled to hear that you and your wife had such an amazing time during your stay with us and had the chance to experience two of our beachfront cabanas. You have described our hotel well, exactly as our owners envisioned it. Our staff works hard to give our guests the best service in our little slice of paradise and I am glad you felt the same! We hope to welcome you back to La Luna for many years to come.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just returned from our first stay here at La Luna. We stayed here for three nights from Oct. 10-13. I booked this place as a 20th Anniversary surprise for my wife and booked it exclusively based on TripAdvisor ratings and the bevy of great comments. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we felt at home here. The grounds are beautiful and well kept (even seaweed is removed every morning from the beach.) We stayed in Christopher Columbus and the unit was smaller than I thought it would be but very clean and attractive. We were almost never in our room though as the beach is the main attraction here. It is very nice and beckons you to come spend time on it. The resort has large lounges and umbrellas for your use and bar service is offered from your beach spot.

Everything is very well maintained and we had no problems with electricity or water. Purified drinking water is provided in every room as the shower and tap water is brackish and not good for drinking. The beach was ideal for walking and seeing the numerous other resorts that line the beach. We stopped at several and saw almost all of them as we walked up and down the beach both ways. I did not see one that made me wish I was staying there instead. Even though La Luna was full while we were there it never felt at all crowded, in fact just the opposite. It was rare to have more than a few other people on the beach with you and the same at the restaurant. And wow, at Las Estrellas restaurant.

The food was consistently excellent. Each meal seemed to get better. Lots of options, moderate pricing and just outstanding flavors and taste. We considered trying some of the other restaurants nearby but decided to return to Las Estrellas since we knew it would be great. The fresh fish (that we saw them bring in from the beach that day) was outstanding as was the ceviche. Pretty much everything we had was great. We tried the Xichilpax (Mayan dip made from pumpkin seeds) that my wife loved but I thought was just OK.

The staff here was very helpful, friendly and accommodating. Especially the manager Edmonda, a Dutch woman who greeted us as we arrived and spent loads of time with us making sure everything was excellent and telling us about the local area. She really cares about her guests and staff and was one of the highlights of our time here. Thank you Edmonda for the wonderful hospitality. You have an excellent team here.

This hotel and area is not the place to go for wild nightlife or parties (try Cancun or Playa) but it is great for reconnecting and recharging. If you are looking for a great spot to relax, unwind and enjoy delicious food next to a gorgeous beach then La Luna is the place.

Room Tip: The beachfront cottages are excellent and just steps from the beach.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandBoy1
CabanasLaLuna, General Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Dear guests,

Thank you thank you thank you for your wonderful review! It really makes me feel humble when you write such excellent things about myself and our staff. We really liked you having with us. Especially when you went to town and your wife after a while just wanted 'to go home'! People like you are special and I have to say I really respect the fact that you booked with us just based on the Tripadvisor reviews but even more that you were able to not tell anything to your wife until the night before leaving!!

Muchas gracias and we hope to see you next year for your 21st anniversary!

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was out third trip to Tulum and the Yucatan and each time we try 3 or 4 hotels. This was the best hotel we have ever stayed in and we are travel photograhers. We stayed in the Marco Polo suite. Everything was so tastefully and thoughtfully done. A real work of art from the smallest details on up. The place is a dream. a very small hand made and carefully designed paradise.
the hand made doors to the hand carved railings and the home cooled cuisine. We have never seen a place so nicely done and in such a truly one of a kind way.... ..its a rare gem.
The rooms are little works of art and the food is devine - the beach is beautiful and the nearby ruins are gorgeous.. ...this place is perfect. We have stayed in 7 little hotels in tulum and this was our all time favorite and there are some really nice ones.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Monica S
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Thank you for writing such a sweet review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in Marco Polo's Journey. This cabana is one of our newer rooms located in the garden with a partial beach view. Great for couples or families of 3. We appreciate how much you enjoyed our attention to detail. Our owners have a vision and it joys us to hear that others appreciate all the thought they have put into it. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked our 10 day vacation in Tulum after seeing photos of the beach taken by a good friend who lives in the area. I was a bit nervous about how my family would cope with the eco side...no TV and no AC but it was not an issue at all! We arrived in the evening, beware of the speed bumps on the way into Tulum, they are like something form the Paris Dakar Rally, we were so happy our car was rented and we wouldn`t have to worry about damage to suspension when you didn`t see the signs in time! Checked into our cabana , the Marakesh, gorgeous groovy bohemian decoration, spacious and clean. We arrived on barbeque night which was exquisite ! I come from South Africa and we are BBQ gourmets, this is one of the best I have ever had! It was dark when we arrived and the following morning be woke up to the fact that we were on the best beach I have ever seen, I have been to beaches all over the world but I have never seen sand so white and such a perfectly turquoise sea in my life. I am a runner and I run early before the famiyl is awake and at 7am before the cleaners start you see the real beach, at Easter we were in Thailand, known for it`s beaches but at 7am I saw cans,nappies and car batteries etc before the cleaners arrived! In Tulum , the only thing the cleaners had to do was remove a bit of seaweed and put out the beach chairs ! I ran 5km one morning and the beach still stretched out forever in front of me. Magical! The other thing is that Tulum is known as a major turtle breeding ground and every morning I saw between 15 and 20 tracks of female turtles coming up to lay their eggs. At night the hotel security guards let us know when there was a hatching about to take place and gave us red filters for our torches and we watched a nest of dozens of baby turtles hatch and helped to carry them to the sea, another night we watched a huge female laying eggs just in front of the hotel! The lack of TV was wonderful and the lack of AC was not a problem at all. The windows all have mosquito mesh so you have the sea breeze as well as electric fans over the beds and standing ones in the room. The water pressure in the shower is pretty weak but the water is hot and small price to pay for being in paradise! Breakfast is fantastic and the wonderful manageress and her staff are amazing! I would classify Tulum as Bohemian Chic, every hotel on the beach has a restaurant with something different, vegan food, sushi, Barbecue , seafood grills etc. You can do Yoga on the beach in exchange for a donation etc The town of Tulum is 10 minutes drive and has lots of great unusual restaurants. Many people are hesitant about vacationing in Mexico because they are worried about security.. we felt completely safe, the main road road into Tulum has a security checkpoint with armed guards and we walked around at night etc in complete confidence , even in the town of Tulum we were completely relaxed, had great meals and made friends with loads of very friendly stray dogs that my kids wanted to adopt immediately! The area has a lot of attractions besides the beach, ruins, great caves, diving on the coral reefs, fishing , golf etc. If you are any doubt , google Tulum beaches and know that no photo does it justice!!! Add to that the wonderful service and atmosphere of Cabanas la Luna and you have a magical holiday that is out of the ordinary!!!

Room Tip: Marakesh is 20 metres from the beach and sleeps 4, really good for families!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Wow! We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review! A lot of guests who stay with us have the same initial concerns about no A/C and no TV, but we are thrilled to hear it did not end up being a problem for your family. Sounds like you kept yourself busy without hesitation and even were lucky enough to experience the sea turtles! Everything you have mentioned in this review is very accurate. Thanks again for taking the time to write it. We hope it settles questions others might have about visiting Tulum and choosing Cabanas La Luna. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We were so surprised at how much we loved this place!We did not want to leave!
My wife and I stayed at Cabanas La Luna for 5 days in early September 2013 . Tulum beach is a magical place and La Luna Cabanas is one of its part. It was an incredible experience. Cement jungles which are Secrets Resorts,Iberostar Resorts,Dreams Resorts this is not, which is exactly why we chose La Luna for us beach getaway. I repeat once more- La Luna Cabanas is the antithesis of a typical, sterile, mass hotel complex. This is the place to slow down, chill out and get back in touch with yourself and with Mother Nature. The outside of the cabanas each have their own brilliant tropical color, like jewels among the palm trees We had a fabulous 5 days in Marrakech room enjoying the adventure and peacefulness of La Luna
right on the beach, big beautiful and private clean room with a 2 beds and a cute little bathroom
in the middle of the room. Marrakech room has a huge shaded balcony with seats and hammock and a great view of the turquoise Caribbean Sea through the palm trees.
The beach was beautiful and we were always alone at the time we were there. EVEN ONE DAY a tropical stormy weather with heavy rain will not interfere with us a wonderful stay. The managers are wonderful!!!. All of the other staff were great too! Always helpful.They consistently make our stay comfortable and check with us often to see if there is anything we might need.The food was fantastic - fresh produce and cooked with a lot of love and care. We cannot wait to go back and stay longer next time. Thanks guys!!!!

Room Tip: right on the beach
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jerzy O
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Thank you for such a wonderful review! You have described well what we try to achieve here... a slow paced, relaxing getaway much softer than the larger resorts. I am glad to hear our staff was accommodating and helped your stay to be extra special. We are also happy that you enjoyed Marrakech, one of our larger beachfront cabanas and we thank you for sharing pictures for others to see. I noticed that you have already booked your next stay with us and so we are quite excited to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 26 September 2013

I needed a long weekend for some rest and relaxation, so I arranged through Cabanas La Luna to be picked up / dropped off at the airport and to stay Wednesday - Sunday. I didn't rent a car, which eliminated one hassle. I stayed in Marrakech, which was very nice and had a great view. I walked down to Yoga Shala everyday for yoga, ate either at Restaurant Las Estrellas or at a place on the beach within a short walk, and had a really nice time. Very very relaxing, which is just what I was looking for.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Peter M

Thank you for your nice review. We are happy to hear we were able to help you have a long relaxing weekend with us. Using our preferred transfer service does take a lot of the stress out of getting to us, and I am happy that it worked so well for you, and that you enjoyed all our hotel and restaurant had to offer. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at Cabanas La Luna for 7 days in early August. First, we were very surprised by the area. It was filled with dread-locked Yoga type people who didn't always feel clothes were needed. (just not what we were expecting) Second, we went in August, like I mentioned before, and our room had no A/C and just a fan. It was in the 90s during the day and only dropped into the 80s at night so we were uncomfortably hot the whole week and didn't get a lot of sleep. Dont get me wrong, I like hot weather, and I realize we were in Mexico, but humidity on top of it and being unable to escape it, made it almost unbearable. We had to take cold showers to be somewhat comfortable for a short period of time during the week. Other rooms had A/C and I would suggest one of those instead!! (we stayed in Marco Polo's journey room). The area is also more expensive than other areas in riviera maya. If you are interested in being in an area that caters to a vegan menu and yoga, then this is the place for you! The service and staff at La Luna was spectacular. And the continental breakfast was one of the highlights of our day. The restaurant was amazing also! This hotel is also an Eco-hotel meaning no flushing TP down the toilet. Not a big deal, just a surprise. I think all the hotels in the area were the same. This hotel area was about 7km from the town of Tulum and we preferred to go to town for dinner every night. A cab cost 100 pesos or more each way, so thankfully we had our own car. The grounds at La Luna were beautiful and the beach was a beautiful Caribean escape. The rooms were very nice, clean and unique. The lack of A/C made it a sour experience. And for $175-180/night I was expecting a lot more. Next time we plan on staying in Playa Del Carmen instead of Tulum. It is more of what we were expecting.

Room Tip: Make sure the room has A/C
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Maggie K
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Thank you for your honest review. We are sorry to hear that your stay at La Luna was not what you were hoping for. August is one of the warmer months to visit, and I am sorry the fan did not work for you. We now have a few additional fans that can be added to any of our rooms when guests are having troubles with the heat. We do have air conditioning in Jungle Penthouse and Garden Suite, as well as the 2 ground floor rooms in Villa Zanzibar. In the summer months, the beachfront cabanas are a little better as they receive a direct breeze from the ocean. As for the eco-friendly part about the flushing of toilet paper, you are correct. Because of the septic system, nowhere in this region allows tissue to be flushed. There are closed bins provided and our housekeeping cleans out the bins daily. Even though you didn't receive what you expected, we are happy to hear that despite this, you enjoyed our staff, as well as our restaurant. We hope that if you come to Tulum again, that you will stop by for a drink or a nice dinner.