“Perfect vacation”

Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Denver
“Perfect vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was my first time booking a vacation based solely on a star rating and reviews from TA. This was a smart choice. : )
We wanted a relaxing, quiet vacation on the beach and this place delivered.
From check-in to check-out the staff was excellent. I'd like to give a shout out to Oscar, a server in the restaurant. Super friendly and a genuine guy.
The restaurant was solid and the chefs were very friendly. My favorite dish was the roasted chicken. Breakfast was delicious as well. From fresh fruit to Mexican staples like chileaquiles.
Beach access was my favorite thing about the hotel. White, soft sand down to a pristine beach.
From the hotel you can walk up or down the beach and checkout different restaurants, hotels, etc...
The hotel offers bike rentals and will setup tours and touristy stuff for you as well. We booked a snorkel trip and a trip to the biosphere through the front desk.
Last but not least, be sure to say hi to "Luna", the local kitty. She is a sweetheart and will come into your room to hang out. WE gave her a saucer of milk and she loved it. She then crawled on our laps for a nap. Beach life is rough!
Thanks again to the wonderful staff and for the maids who take care of little "Luna". We will recommend this place to our friends and hopefully be back soon.

Room Tip: Each room has its own charm. We were up on the 2nd floor on Markech. The balcony view was great. L...
1 Thank litespeed74
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for your review and for trusting the voice of our past guests! We understand that booking a hotel right for you can be hard and that's why we appreciate it when our guests take the time to share there experience with us. We are happy to hear that you had such a wonderful time and that our staff met your expectations. We pride ourselves in giving our guests the best experience possible and I am thrilled to know that was the case. Ah yes, Luna, our hotel kitty. She fits right in perfectly, doesn't she! Thanks again for the review and we hope to see you at our hotel again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
Turku, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

We are a family of five people from Finland and spent one week at Cabanas La Luna in June 2013. We have been in some bungalows and nice beaches couple of times before e.g. in Thailand, Namibia and U.S. However, we founded these at Cabanas absolutely the best.

Also, we loved the quiet beach: white sand, turquoise water and no speed boats and too many activities. Food was delicious, service good and staff very friendly and helpful. Beef Fajitas was the favorite of my son. I liked most pasta with prawns.

If you want some activities there are also many of them nearby. We went to the center of Tulum by bicycles and made trips to Cenote Sac Ac Tun, Tulum ruins and Akumal Bay. We enjoyed all of these very much. You can get more information of these at the lobby.

Thanks a lot for a fantastic holiday in a very special place.

Room Tip: Captain Dale is really nice and beachfront. Highly recommended!
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Mika P
Thank you for your review and sharing some pictures. We are happy to hear you had such a wonderful time during your stay at La Luna. We hope to welcome you back here on our beach soon!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I stayed at Cabanas La Luna for 3 nights during our honeymoon, and of all the places we stayed (an all-inclusive north of Cancun, a hostel in downtown Cancun, and a boutique hotel in Playa) - it was our FAVORITE.

From the moment we pulled our rental car into the driveway and were greeted by the friendly, lovely, and helpful Edmonda in reception, our mouths were hanging open at the beauty and tranquility of the place. It's so peaceful there - just the sound of the palm fronds clacking gently, and farther off the sound of the soft Caribbean waves. The layout of the Cabanas is such that while they are close together, convenient to the restaurant and the beach, you aren't ever peering in at your neighbor, and really the only time we ran into people was at the restaurant or if we purposefully interacted with them on the beach. It's up to you how social you are here - it would have been very easy for us to feel like we were the only people on the property the entire time!

We stayed one night in Robinson Crusoe, and two nights in Marco Polo. Robinson Crusoe is a small cabana with a straight shot to the beach down a path. It's cozy - the perfect size for a couple. There is a hammock and a table on the patio as well as a little bath for your feet to keep the sand out of your room. The water was hot, and there was both a ceiling fan and an electric fan for the room. I only wish there was a screen door so that we could have kept the door open for the breeze all night - it was divine!

Marco Polo is a larger room over where the reception area is. It has a terrace/balcony area again with a hammock, chair, and couch with table. While you have to look around the roof of the restaurant to see the ocean, at night the terrace was a SUPER spot to hang out and watch the stars. Since there's so little light in Tulum, you can see SO many stars! It was my first time seeing the Milky Way, and Edmonda reminded us about a star-gazing app that we used to identify many constellations and even the Hubble Telescope moving through the sky! Marco Polo did have a screen door, and we loved that we were able to invite the breeze in all night. It was a real toss-up as to which was our favorite!

The beach was gorgeous. White sand, wide, with plenty of chairs and umbrellas as well as hammocks a bit farther back. Every once in a while someone would come down from the restaurant and check to see if you needed anything (so friendly!) The swimming was fantastic - sandy areas interspersed with grassy areas that were perfect gathering places for all kinds of adorable fish! In my trips out with my goggles, I saw a baby squid, a baby puffer fish, several colorful fish that I couldn't identify, and two skates!

The restaurant deserves its own review, and I will write that separately, but know that the food was delicious - they made the best margarita that I had in Mexico, and the best meals we had as well. (And I work for a company that also has a five-diamond restaurant, so I do know what I'm talking about just a bit!) We are not the all-inclusive types, but we ate every single meal here it was THAT good. (Get the lobster, and the shrimp salad! And the creme brulee. And the chicken. Just...get everything.) The price is extremely reasonable for what you get, and when you stay they will just charge everything to your room, so no worrying about paying for each meal or having the right change or making 10 charges to your card.

Also, if you are celebrating an anniversary, honeymoon, or just vacationing with your significant other, take my word for it and splurge for the private romantic dinner on the beach! IT IS WORTH EVERY CENT.

Everyone is so friendly and will take the time to stop and talk to you if you want - or just let you relax in your own paradise. They will gladly help you find any of the local attractions like the ruins at Tulum or Coba, or one of the cenotes/underground rivers nearby.

Finally, I'd like to say that I am not a "rustic living/camping" type person. The last camping trip we went on, I learned how much my husband loves me after I had a meltdown that would make a two-year old proud because it was too hot and I was too sticky and I couldn't sleep. That being said, I was a little worried about there not being any A/C - but with the cool breeze most nights and the multiple fans I was able to sleep comfortably. (My favorite tip is to bring a small container of baby powder - not only will it make sure no sand sticks to your feet or body, but it will help keep you from getting sticky during the night.)

Bottom line - our favorite place in all of Mexico. Don't hesitate to book here - we are already making plans to return with our parents within the year!

Room Tip: The Cabanas have the best access to the beach and are quaint and cozy. Rooms like Marco Polo are a b...
2 Thank Wanderlust919
Thank you for taking a moment to write such a detailed review of your stay at Cabanas La Luna. We truly appreciate the time you spent here, sharing your experience with others. It sounds like you experienced many great places on your honeymoon and we are thrilled that we were your favorite choice. You have described our property well. Although intimate in size, it never really feels that way! We are happy that you had the chance to stay in two different types of our cabanas and are able to share your experience with both. Although Marco Polo's Journey isn't right on the beach, you did point out the bonus of the room. Each has something special to offer and I am glad you noticed that and shared this with others. Thanks for also sharing your special tip about the baby powder! I am sure that will help many future guests to come. Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. We hope to welcome you back here soon.
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

My wife and I stayed @ Cabanas La Luna after travelling through Guatemala and Belize on our Honeymoon. This was perfect for us after the travelling. We booked last minute and was actually surprised to have a room and the manager was efficient and excellent arranging this for us via email - as we had limited wifi and signal in Belize.

We we welcomed by a very friendly staff team and got to know them all well. I must point out that Oscar and Caesar were fantastic hosts and their customer service is first class! Caesar aka Margarita-Man makes the best cocktails. Oscar reserved a seat for us during the Barbecue Night which was a great night. Very attentive staff! One of the most important things for us is getting to know local people and to learn from them. We exchanged English and Spanish with Oscar during our stay and the staff taught us much about Mexico and the local area.

We stayed at Casa Blanca and Columbus cabanas which were absolutely beautiful, and exceeded our expectations. This place is quite unique for the area and we do not like big impersonal hotels. Cabanas La luna is very personal and focuses on the attention to detail to give you the best possible experience. The Cabanas are on the beach and you can hear the waves and nothing else.....

It's a very pretty setting, Very colourful ? Moroccan themed with lanterns etc. in the evening the security and marine biologists patrol the beach which is a protected area for Loggerhead and Green Turtles and they take this very seriously. Tulum is an Eco friendly area.

We had one of our most memorable experiences in the evening and saw in total about 4 female turtles nesting and also hatchlings. My wife helped one into the sea as he was lost (which is why they discourage flash lights as this can distract the baby turtles who are guided by light of the moon reflecting on the sea.

The beach is beautiful and easily the best in the whole of Yucutan. It's so peaceful and pretty.

We have mentioned the food as this will be a separate review of the restaurant Las Estrella's and team. The food here is worthy of a Michelin Star honestly, we were very impressed!

Tulum centre is a taxi trip away and there are many Cenotes in the area. We visited LabnaHa Cenotes which was a great day, but I understand that there are many to choose from. Tulum ruins is a taxi ride away or a brave walk along the beach. We were lucky to experience tropical storm Erin which added to our great trip. There are other restaurants in other hotels, but we ate at Las Estrelas every day and night as the food was consistently to a very high standard. There is a huge supermarket a short taxi trip away also where you can buy most things, it's huge! If travelling up the coast after we recommend Akumal another beautiful beach with clear shallow water and swim with the turtles. We saw lots of huge fish including a massive baracuda and sting rays and most importantly many turtles. They are such peaceful creatures.....From Tulum bus station it is very easy to travel anywhere and the ADO buses are very good.

In a nutshell, stay here and have a great time like we did. We will be back....

Room Tip: Choose a cabana on the sea, we recommend Casa Blanca or Columbus
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gaudila
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lengthy review for others. We are thrilled to hear that you and your wife had such an amazing time during your stay with us and had the chance to experience two of our beachfront cabanas. You have described our hotel well, exactly as our owners envisioned it. Our staff works hard to give our guests the best service in our little slice of paradise and I am glad you felt the same! We hope to welcome you back to La Luna for many years to come.
South
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

Just returned from our first stay here at La Luna. We stayed here for three nights from Oct. 10-13. I booked this place as a 20th Anniversary surprise for my wife and booked it exclusively based on TripAdvisor ratings and the bevy of great comments. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived we felt at home here. The grounds are beautiful and well kept (even seaweed is removed every morning from the beach.) We stayed in Christopher Columbus and the unit was smaller than I thought it would be but very clean and attractive. We were almost never in our room though as the beach is the main attraction here. It is very nice and beckons you to come spend time on it. The resort has large lounges and umbrellas for your use and bar service is offered from your beach spot.

Everything is very well maintained and we had no problems with electricity or water. Purified drinking water is provided in every room as the shower and tap water is brackish and not good for drinking. The beach was ideal for walking and seeing the numerous other resorts that line the beach. We stopped at several and saw almost all of them as we walked up and down the beach both ways. I did not see one that made me wish I was staying there instead. Even though La Luna was full while we were there it never felt at all crowded, in fact just the opposite. It was rare to have more than a few other people on the beach with you and the same at the restaurant. And wow, at Las Estrellas restaurant.

The food was consistently excellent. Each meal seemed to get better. Lots of options, moderate pricing and just outstanding flavors and taste. We considered trying some of the other restaurants nearby but decided to return to Las Estrellas since we knew it would be great. The fresh fish (that we saw them bring in from the beach that day) was outstanding as was the ceviche. Pretty much everything we had was great. We tried the Xichilpax (Mayan dip made from pumpkin seeds) that my wife loved but I thought was just OK.

The staff here was very helpful, friendly and accommodating. Especially the manager Edmonda, a Dutch woman who greeted us as we arrived and spent loads of time with us making sure everything was excellent and telling us about the local area. She really cares about her guests and staff and was one of the highlights of our time here. Thank you Edmonda for the wonderful hospitality. You have an excellent team here.

This hotel and area is not the place to go for wild nightlife or parties (try Cancun or Playa) but it is great for reconnecting and recharging. If you are looking for a great spot to relax, unwind and enjoy delicious food next to a gorgeous beach then La Luna is the place.

Room Tip: The beachfront cottages are excellent and just steps from the beach.
1 Thank IslandBoy1
CabanasLaLuna, General Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you thank you thank you for your wonderful review! It really makes me feel humble when you write such excellent things about myself and our staff. We really liked you having with us. Especially when you went to town and your wife after a while just wanted 'to go home'! People like you are special and I have to say I really respect the fact that you booked with us just based on the Tripadvisor reviews but even more that you were able to not tell anything to your wife until the night before leaving!!

Muchas gracias and we hope to see you next year for your 21st anniversary!
Kihei, Hawaii, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was out third trip to Tulum and the Yucatan and each time we try 3 or 4 hotels. This was the best hotel we have ever stayed in and we are travel photograhers. We stayed in the Marco Polo suite. Everything was so tastefully and thoughtfully done. A real work of art from the smallest details on up. The place is a dream. a very small hand made and carefully designed paradise.
the hand made doors to the hand carved railings and the home cooled cuisine. We have never seen a place so nicely done and in such a truly one of a kind way.... ..its a rare gem.
The rooms are little works of art and the food is devine - the beach is beautiful and the nearby ruins are gorgeous.. ...this place is perfect. We have stayed in 7 little hotels in tulum and this was our all time favorite and there are some really nice ones.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Monica S
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for writing such a sweet review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay in Marco Polo's Journey. This cabana is one of our newer rooms located in the garden with a partial beach view. Great for couples or families of 3. We appreciate how much you enjoyed our attention to detail. Our owners have a vision and it joys us to hear that others appreciate all the thought they have put into it. We hope to welcome you back soon!
Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

We booked our 10 day vacation in Tulum after seeing photos of the beach taken by a good friend who lives in the area. I was a bit nervous about how my family would cope with the eco side...no TV and no AC but it was not an issue at all! We arrived in the evening, beware of the speed bumps on the way into Tulum, they are like something form the Paris Dakar Rally, we were so happy our car was rented and we wouldn`t have to worry about damage to suspension when you didn`t see the signs in time! Checked into our cabana , the Marakesh, gorgeous groovy bohemian decoration, spacious and clean. We arrived on barbeque night which was exquisite ! I come from South Africa and we are BBQ gourmets, this is one of the best I have ever had! It was dark when we arrived and the following morning be woke up to the fact that we were on the best beach I have ever seen, I have been to beaches all over the world but I have never seen sand so white and such a perfectly turquoise sea in my life. I am a runner and I run early before the famiyl is awake and at 7am before the cleaners start you see the real beach, at Easter we were in Thailand, known for it`s beaches but at 7am I saw cans,nappies and car batteries etc before the cleaners arrived! In Tulum , the only thing the cleaners had to do was remove a bit of seaweed and put out the beach chairs ! I ran 5km one morning and the beach still stretched out forever in front of me. Magical! The other thing is that Tulum is known as a major turtle breeding ground and every morning I saw between 15 and 20 tracks of female turtles coming up to lay their eggs. At night the hotel security guards let us know when there was a hatching about to take place and gave us red filters for our torches and we watched a nest of dozens of baby turtles hatch and helped to carry them to the sea, another night we watched a huge female laying eggs just in front of the hotel! The lack of TV was wonderful and the lack of AC was not a problem at all. The windows all have mosquito mesh so you have the sea breeze as well as electric fans over the beds and standing ones in the room. The water pressure in the shower is pretty weak but the water is hot and small price to pay for being in paradise! Breakfast is fantastic and the wonderful manageress and her staff are amazing! I would classify Tulum as Bohemian Chic, every hotel on the beach has a restaurant with something different, vegan food, sushi, Barbecue , seafood grills etc. You can do Yoga on the beach in exchange for a donation etc The town of Tulum is 10 minutes drive and has lots of great unusual restaurants. Many people are hesitant about vacationing in Mexico because they are worried about security.. we felt completely safe, the main road road into Tulum has a security checkpoint with armed guards and we walked around at night etc in complete confidence , even in the town of Tulum we were completely relaxed, had great meals and made friends with loads of very friendly stray dogs that my kids wanted to adopt immediately! The area has a lot of attractions besides the beach, ruins, great caves, diving on the coral reefs, fishing , golf etc. If you are any doubt , google Tulum beaches and know that no photo does it justice!!! Add to that the wonderful service and atmosphere of Cabanas la Luna and you have a magical holiday that is out of the ordinary!!!

Room Tip: Marakesh is 20 metres from the beach and sleeps 4, really good for families!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Wow! We truly appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review! A lot of guests who stay with us have the same initial concerns about no A/C and no TV, but we are thrilled to hear it did not end up being a problem for your family. Sounds like you kept yourself busy without hesitation and even were lucky enough to experience the sea turtles! Everything you have mentioned in this review is very accurate. Thanks again for taking the time to write it. We hope it settles questions others might have about visiting Tulum and choosing Cabanas La Luna. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!