“Even better than all the reviews!”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #9 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Lawrence, Kansas
“Even better than all the reviews!”
Reviewed 8 November 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Casa Blanca cabana for 3 days in October and had a truly relaxing and memorable time. Here's what I know: You must book way in advance. Although there is no AC, we did not miss it. Fans made the difference. There are only 10 cabanas so it never gets really "busy". The food in the restaurant Las Estrellas was with out exception, fabulous. (Breakfast comes with a fruit and toast (complimentary continental) and we added Huevos Rancheros one morning... heaven! Each cabana is singularly appointed... ours in beautiful hues of blues. The king bed was comfortable and with the door open, you can see the ocean from where you sleep, a few steps away. We will plan to return here when we can. My husband began searching flights when we got home!

1 Thank Bill-Annette
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Thank you for your review! How exciting that your husband is already looking to plan your next visit. We find that once our guests experience La Luna, many are ready to come back as quickly as they left. You described Casa Blanca, and the rest of La Luna quite well. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 5 November 2013

We loved Cabanas La Luna! We just got home yesterday from our family vacation and we had a great time. The location is fantastic. It feels like your own private island. We are a family of four (2 kids, ages 11 and 7) and we stayed in the Marrakech cabana. It would be an easy drive from the airport if you rented a car (straight shot) but we used the shuttle service, Tucan Kin. Worked out perfectly. We watched the weather reports in advance and were nervous because it showed pouring rain each day but it actually only rained once in the evening and every day was gorgeous. Even when it rained, it was not cold at all. White sand beach, turquoise waters, cabanas right on the beach, great restaurant. We LOVED the restaurant there. We ate there every single day we were there. Only left once. The staff are all fantastic. I am vegetarian (my kids and husband are not) and was pleasantly surprised that they had quite a few vegetarian options! The margaritas are delicious. The kids loved the chocolate smoothies. Prices are very reasonable. You have to try the habenero chocolate ice cream too, so unique. Oscar was so friendly, he even remembered our names (and mine is not very easy.) All of the staff are great!

Free wifi (a big hit with the 11 year old technology obsessed child) is awesome for checking in once in a while or posting pics for fam/friends to see while on vacation. Perfect place for relaxation. The kids loved the hammocks. Right on the porch of your cabana you can lay in a hammock and watch the waves. Marrakech was great for a family. The beds are separated by the bathroom for a bit of privacy too. I was worried about my kids being too loud (they argue and bicker over everything, LOL!) but they way the cabanas are set up it seems very private. The cabana also has multiple fans (one in the canopy of each bed) plus two additional which is perfect for the humid evenings.

Taxis run all along that beach road behind La Luna so if you want to go somewhere you can just start walking on that road and a taxi will pass. We did that to go to the mayan ruins down the way (100 pesos each way.) Another day we went walking to get more sunblock at the little market and it was about a 30 minute walk. La Luna has bikes you can rent but I was a bit nervous about my kids on bikes on that road with taxis. For adults or older kids it would be perfect.

We will definitely be back (but probably just grown ups next time.) I would recommend mosquito repellent (I am pretty sure they even sell it there) but we didn't even notice mosquitoes or see them and still somehow two out of four of us are covered in bites. Ha! Okay, I will stop rambling and let the pictures speak for themselves! Definitely stay here if you are in Tulum!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Desiree1234
Thank you for your sweet detailed reviewed! So happy to hear that your family had such a wonderful time. A lot of potential guests ask if La Luna is an adults hotel or family friendly, as you have shown here, we are both! You describe Marrakech perfectly and have painted such a wonderful picture of all we have tried to embrace and encompass here at La Luna. We hope to welcome you back for a parents getaway soon!
TX
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I was nervous getting to Cabanas La Luna, because I soley based my choice on Trip Advisor, and we invited friends to join us for the week, and I was nervous that they would be comfortable, as well. We stayed in Christopher Columbus, which I chose for my husband and I due to the reviews that it had a lovely breeze and good view of the beach. It was just as we had hoped! It was romantic and cheery, and so close to the ocean.

I am a big star gazer, and the view of the moon at night is truly amazing from the beach. During the daytime, the ocean is so beautiful, no camera can capture the aqua and turquoise shades of the water, I know because I tried! The ocean is so gorgeous in Tulum. My husband snorkeled off of the beach in front of our cabana, and saw stingrays and some tropical fish. The night guards were so helpful to make sure we got to help release some baby sea turtles that hatched during our stay, which was so amazing to experience.

There was never a shortage of beach beds. Never did it feel crowded or over run with people. There was some men at the next place down the beach - I think Zulu was the name of it - and they swam in the nude. We were grown ups and had no issues with it but it was interesting...

We really enjoyed having our own little porch area with the hammock and bench and chair. The light continental breakfast was delicious - I am still wishing for some more of the papaya jelly - and we preferred most mornings to eat it on our front porch, which was so enjoyable.

We have stayed in Playa del Carmen at a big all inclusive before, and wanted something quieter, more relaxed, and this was truly the perfect choice.

Waking up to the sounds of the ocean and the sun rising with palm fronds blowing in the breeze was wonderful.

I got a massage one afternoon, and I chose the hot stone massage - it was wonderful. Really, the best massage I have had. Highly recommend the masseuse that the hotel recommended. I cannot recall her name... it was $70 for an hour - but she spent more than an hour on me... great value!

The housekeeper came in twice a day, usually around lunch to clean the room, make the bed and pull back the netting for day use, and then again usually while we were gone for dinner to again clean up and batton down the hatches for night time. Every time she came she emptied the garbage - since you do not flush tissue paper that was very, very nice.
Also, the housekeeper changed our bedding including the coverlet out every other day. Which was so nice - staying in a beach cabana - it's nice to have clean bedding every evening to crawl into... There are shelves for your belongings and also an area for a few hanging garments... the roomy shower was a very nice size for 2, loved it, the water pressure was low for the cold water, but I just waited a bit and it got better. I loved the low faucet in the shower just for your feet just in case you didn't get all the sand off your feet in the basin on the porch, u can rinse them in the shower. I didn't mind showering in brackish water (I loved what it did to my hair), but washing my face, I chose to use the filtered water in the room.
The housekeeper also put out bath products every other day as well. See the pics - they were cute!

We never wore our shoes unless we were leaving for the day. Barefoot to dinner, barefoot to breakfast, barefoot to the beach. As soon as you leave the path for the hotel, taxi's are driving by to see if you need a ride. It was very easy to catch a taxi into Tulum for shopping or to a restaurant for dinner.

The wifi worked great and was convenient to have for checking in if you have to, but we mainly just read books and snoozed the whole time. It was nice to have a break from tv and phones for a week or so.

One thing I can mention is that the bathroom in Christopher Columbus is kind of dark - the pictures on the hotel's website show it a lighter color of paint, but it's now a dark orange that kind of swallows light up - another light or a window, or some white paint that reflects light would be helpful.

Also, the mattress wasn't the most comfortable, but it wasn't horrible. My husband was completely comfortable, I took a little something at night to sleep well, otherwise it might have been an issue.

Privacy - the place was full up while we were there, and everyone walks right by the Christopher Columbus to get to their cabanas. It didn't bother us too much, but if you want more privacy, maybe go for the Captain Dale or the upstairs cabana since they are at the end of the paths.

No negatives that would deter us from coming again AT ALL. I am picky and hard to please, and this place was just as we hoped it would be. I was so pleased with the entire visit, I just wished it was longer. My husband wants to come again in February, so he was very pleased also.

At night the place is all romance with lanterns lighting your pathway and woven porch lights twinkling in the night, perfect for a walk on the beach or a moonlight swim. In the daytime it's sunlight and palm fronds and hammocks swaying in the breeze, whilst sipping chaya pinon juice... bliss...

If you are looking for a quiet, relaxing atmosphere that makes you unplug and randomly nap under a palm tree - Cabanas La Luna is it. You cannot go wrong, the reviews are true! I would go back in a second if I could, but back to normal life, and saving for another trip to Tulum!!!

Room Tip: I would recommend all the beach front cabanas because of the breeze and they are all so close to the...
6 Thank Jenny M
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review for others to read. Choosing a hotel is tough and a lot of our guests turn to tripadvisor to help with their decision. It's reviews like these that help ease any hesitation. We are happy that we met your expectations and gave you exactly want you wanted and needed! Most all of our guests come here for exactly that, a nice, quiet and relaxing vacation. We are thrilled that is exactly what you got! The massages are great and it is so nice of you to recognize that. They really focus on the massage and not a ticking clock. It's a way of life out here. Thank you for your tips on the room. We do change the paint yearly and we will take that into considering in Christopher Columbus to make it a little brighter in there. Again, that you for taking the time to right such a nice review, sharing your experience with others. We hope to welcome you back again soon!
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed 1 November 2013

There are a lot of places to stay in Tulum.
We chose La Cabañas La Luna on a recommendation. I'm glad we did!
Nothing compares to a excellent staff at a beautiful boutique hotel. La Luna is among the best.
We need to give extra thanks to Oscar at La Luna's excellent restaurant,(Restaurant de Las Esrellas). He made us feel very welcome and pampered with his warm demeanor and professionalism.
Thank you Cabañas La Luna for your great hospitality and near perfect location!

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Mark B
Thank you for your kind review. We will be sure Oscar gets the message. He's become quite a popular member of our staff as a result of his hard work and dedication to La Luna and Las Estrellas. We are lucky to have him on our team! Thank you for ranking us among the best! We hope to welcome you back for many years to come.
lugano
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We have just left La Luna and I am already missing it... Beautiful place, beach, seaside, nice cosy cabanas hotel and great staff! Everything you read in the reviews below is just true. Best place in Tulum to relax, enjoy clear ocean water and a gorgeous natural spot and have genuine tasty creative food. Bravi!

Room Tip: Marrakech! (avoid Jungle Penthouse, a bit sad)
2 Thank sbng
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at Cabanas La Luna and that you're already missing it. We miss you too!
Dresden, Germany
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Fantastic stay with very nice staff. And the great location right on the beach of Tulum promises pure relaxation. The restaurant is quite expensive during dinner time. So try to get the day menu for the evening and you will get very good food for acceptable prices. ;-)

Room Tip: Marco Polo is not only a Room it´s like a Suite.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind and honest review. Also, thanks for taking a minute to further describe our Marco Polo room. Although not directly on the beach, this little cabana is surprising gem that shouldn't be overlooked. Thanks again for the review and we hope to welcome you back soon!
puerto aventuras
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I live twenty miles up the road and usually beach nearby on Sundays where I can take my dog. But I have followed the start ;-) of La Luna and decided that when my sister Phoebe visited me we should spend a few nights there. Phoebe is no stranger to Tulum either. It took a few hours in the sun and a delicious lunch for us to decide we were not going to budge our entire time. Breakfast, lunch and dinner..nary a misstep. The beach is great, the beds are great because they prop up in the back for reading...so a chair, a palapa and a bed...or better than a palapa a palm tree. The cabanas have chairs and hammocks and the larger ones have tables and sofas....there are stands of hammocks and stone picnic tables.....the drinks are great, the mattress are perfect and the staff is exceptional. The only thing that made it easier to leave was the downpour at checkout time:-)

I think I will make this my local getaway.....maybe even quarterly.......the manager, Edmunda is a treasure and the owners Victor and Hanne J have given us the Moon Thanks to all of you Sally

Room Tip: Casablanca is a great budget room and Captain Dale´s is a great family retreat but I think you canno...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for such a kind review. We are so overjoyed to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, as a local! It's not too often that we get locals at La Luna, but when they do, we find that they always turn in to returning guests and a part of our family. We look forward to welcoming you back for many, many times to come!