“Sun, Sand, and Serene beauty...”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
taos
“Sun, Sand, and Serene beauty...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

This place rawks!! Wind and Solar energy are harnessed here and are the sole source of electricity. The stretch of beach here might be the nicest for a good quarter mile in each direction. No restaurant on site, but good food is not hard to find here. Enjoy.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2009

Cabanas La Luna is a must go for anyone who wants a beach vacation at a rustic yet beautiful Mexican resort. Made up of 5 cabanas of varying sizes and styles, La Luna is a small resort with a perfect beach. The 2 kitchens add greatly to the value as making your own your drinks and meals is inexpensive and a fun part of the La Luna experience. The staff is friendly and helpful but also out of the way.

We were a group of 25 and stretched the limits of bed capacity. But having this many people helped create an atmosphere of celebration and gathering. La Luna is not the Hilton in the sense that you will not be over-served or get to watch satellite TV. In fact, electricity is generated mostly from the on-site wind turbine.

Having traveled all over Latin America, I give La Luna my highest recommendation for those who want to take it easy on a little stretch of paradise.

• Stayed March 2009
jdhughjr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2009

Absolutely Amazing! First and Foremost, La Luna's staff...Free, Jacob, Edna, (sorry, missing a few) were the upmost kindest people. They made our stay extremely comfortable. We went to La Luna for my brother's wedding. It was incrediable. We rented all of the Cabannas. They were extremely clean! Edna, the housekeeper, was adorable, if you needed anything, all you had to do is ask...ie, extra towels. Everyday, the cabannas were cleaned from top to bottom...even the windows. (She also babysits...she is very trustworthy, kind, and loving! My 4 year old had a great time with Edna and her son, the language barrier was not an issue....she is a true Saint!) Free, was amazing! He helped planned the wedding (which was perfect!), assisted everyone with activities...ie: deep sea fishing, spa services, shopping, etc. He is the go-to man. Honestly, he is better than most concierge's. He is very generous, and will steer you in the right direction, he is very familiar with the area. Jacob is an incrediable chef! The meal he prepared...awh.........We are definately returning not only for the atmosphere, but also for his cuisine! Some might complain that there is not a restaurant on site.....Having your own personal chief....it was honestly a slice of heaven. His style is simple yet complex flavors....extremely talented! Definately....have Jacob create something special for you! Much better than any restaurant.

We absolutely loved La Luna so much, that we would recommend it to everyone. This is what to expect:

Layed back relaxing atmosphere...where anything goes.
Excellent for two or large groups (26-28)
Simple, yet elegant, and extremely clean
Staff is amazing
Outdoor kitchen is fantastic, if you love to cook, or make yummy cocktails, or even simple snacks. (great for saving a few bucks) **** see note at bottom
Beach is clean...and secluded...absolutely beautiful
Very Romantic
Personal Chef....better than any restaurant
Great for families....with small children - teenagers....perfect
Grounds are well kept...beautiful
PERFECT! All the way around!!!!!!
Tulum's best kept secret...honestly

Notes: We went to the San Fransisco market spent about 100.00 us dollars, we feed a family of 8 for several days...lunch, breakfast, dinner, snacks...drinks...etc. We had two 3 year olds and a teenager...it was kinda tasking to go to rest. for all meals with them...the outdoor kitchen was a lifesaver! we were able to make food they were accustomed to with out any problems. Not to mention...it was so nice to not have to go anywhere...just relax as if we were at our own beach home. perfect. the kitchen is fully equipted...no microwaves, but a gas cook top with all the utensils needed.

The Zanzabar Cabbana is a great gathering place. It's a bit away from the ocean, about a football field's length...but is perfect in the evenings......it has a private kitchen, which is great for making yummy mixed drinks and cooking....the best part.....(here's the secret....it get's really windy at nights on the beach front cabannas...this is perfect for hanging and relaxing, without getting windblown) Don't let this cabbanna...slide....it's perfect!!!

All in all, every cabbanna is perfect! The hardest part is choosing which one to stay in. Enjoy your stay, you will be treated like family. Remember.....you can save a few bucks or go all out....that's what make's La luna perfect.

PS...they do have electricity past 11pm, and wi-fi available 24/7

Michelle

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank jdhughjr
Seattle, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2009

My husband and 2 boys, (5 & 3) stayed at La Luna for a week Feb 16th - 23rd. We were in Captain Dale's Cabana. What an amazing time we had! The beaches were beautiful and the accomadations amazing! When Jacob (one of the managers) showed us to our cabana we were overwhelmed with how beautiful the view was from the deck and the master bed! Free and Jacob were such great hosts. They were attentive yet not overbearing and were there whenever you needed them -offering great advice for restaurants and day outings. I was also quite impressed with the maid service. My boys are dirt birdies and it was so nice to come home to a sand free cabana every night. They don't have a restaurant yet but are making plans, that is exciting as that is the one thing we would have loved was a little more convenient access to food. Overall our vacation was amazing and La Luna was perfect for us. . . .

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank scrawdaddy
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2009

My mother (62) and I (34) stayed for 9 nights at La Luna and we had a wonderful time. It was for both of us our first time in Mexico and the Caraibean beaches were really like we've expected from pictures. The weather in January is great, not to hot, not to cold, the temperature of the water is fine and there is a cooling breece of wind. The cabanas are really cute and nice and you can just wake up and walk in one minute to the beach! Althought it was high season when we were there, it wasn't crowded at all fortunately. The breakfast was also great, especially the fresh fruit with yoghurt. We've once had diner at La Luna, you can order this one day in advance. This was very well too!
I could really recommend this place to people who love beautiful beaches, sun, water, and who like to read a book, because don't expect people to enjoy you with music or other entertainment.

• Stayed January 2009
1 Thank AnnieHolland
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2009

This is my second time to La Luna, and this time was to host my wedding. We choose Tulum and La Luna for our wedding because of it's beauty and simple elegance. We rented out the entire property and had a mix of friends and family stay with us. I don't think smiles left any of our guests faces for the 5 days we were there.

The beach is amazing and that is where we spent all of our time, playing bocce ball, reading, and socializing. We love that each cabana has its own cooler which we stocked with beer, limes, and ice. I also love the addition of Foxy and Polar - the dogs - because it makes you feel like home (Luna, the kitty is adorable too). Everyone loved their rooms (especially Captain Dales), and we stayed in Robinson Crusoe, which is the smallest of the cabanas, but worked out great because it was in the mix of everything. The only room complaints I heard were about Cuckoo's Nest, but they were minor (sticky locks which are probably caused by the humidity, and a smell in the bathroom which I covered with incense bought at Mixik).

We hosted our rehearsal dinner at La Luna and arranged our 43 guests under the seagrape trees in the garden area. We used the existing stone tables and rented 3 additional round tables and beautiful bamboo chairs from a vendor. The area looked beautiful set-up for dinner. There were lanterns strung in the trees to provide lighting and we bought colorful candles at San Francisco for the tabletops. Jacob and Free played bartender for our guests and mixed up margaritas, poured wine, and cracked open beers. They also made delicious appetizers of hummus, ceviche, guacamole, and a mayan delicacy with pumpkin seeds. It was exactly what we wanted - a casual BBQ in a beautiful setting.

The ceremony was also hosted at La Luna and set-up in the wedding area. Originally, I had wanted to get married on the beach but it was too windy, so we decided on the wedding area. It ended up being perfect and my friends decorated the arch with simple flowers found in the garden at La Luna. We also rented bamboo chairs for our guests which blended nicely with the surroundings. It was rustic, elegant. Jacob and Free made some fresh margaritas for the toast post ceremony and arranged for a mariachi band to play during that time.

I am so glad to have hosted my wedding here because it was the perfect expression of who my husband and I are as people. Jacob and Free were great helping plan my wedding, answering emails about bands, food, babysitting, etc. If you want a classy, understated, simple and beautiful wedding, then come here! We'll be back for some more relaxation in the future!

• Stayed February 2009
1 Thank katea07
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

I stayed 6 nights at La Luna with my 8 and 12 years old boys. We had the best time and La Luna totally met my expectations. Free and Jacob were courteous and devoted to their customers. The staff on site was very pleasant and respectful. My 8 years old befriended with the children living on site and he made new friends despite the language barrier. This is not a place for you if you want a "westernized hotel type of service": Rent your cabana and deal with your time, food, activities under the wise and good advices from Free or Jacob. Do not pass a massage with magical Edna, particularly a Mayan massage. She is wonderful.
La Luna is a great, genuine, rustic place to stay at the opposite side of the spectrum from Cancun and company! Enjoy the beach, the sand, play with Foxy and Polar, purr with Luna the kitty cat. Enjoy the best restaurant in town named "Buenos Aires"... but be careful with the surge of mangoes allergy among westerners! I was close to reach an anaphylactic shock during my last night at La Luna at 4AM... My guardians angels were the night guard and Rodrigo who kept an eye on my boys while I was rushing by taxi to the "popular hospital" in Tulum to get my hydro-cortisone shot... I totally trusted them leaving my sons behind to save my life... Take your EpiPen if you have allergies. I will next time, but no more mangoes for me!
That's how much you can trust the staff at La Luna!!
Enjoy your stay at La Luna, I strongly recommend it. Rent a car, or if you are saving, use the zillion of taxis shuttling between town and the beach strip for 60 pesos / $6 one way. So long Free, Jacob and all the kindest members of Rodrigo's family, particularly the 3 beautiful children. With love, La Senora Babette.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family