“Great location, great staff, decent value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow

Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stellarton
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Great location, great staff, decent value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Spent one night here with my 9-year-old on a trip back from Cape Breton and was happy with the choice, particularly over a couple of similarly priced options in the area.

The staff, as you'd expect in this area, was very friendly, and efficient with check-in. They were also helpful with suggestions or dinner.

The room was clean, and well appointed for this level of hotel. Plenty of space for the two of us, and a microwave and fridge which we didn't expect (or need to use).

We did use the pool and my child enjoyed the slide. We had the pool pretty much to ourselves for the better part of an hour and it was great. It's a smaller pool, so it did get crowded when a birthday party and some returning hockey players all showed up...but no worries, we were done at that point and returned to our room for a quiet and restful night.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JonD34
Mark H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear JonD34,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton hotel. It is from all of our guests comments that we are able to ensure our best service is given to everyone.
We were glad to hear you enjoyed our indoor heated pool, with 80 foot waterslide.

Mark H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Staff were wonderful but... highway 104 is noisy, the door to the washroom needed oiling, the heater/air conditioning unit made clicking noised at random intervals, so I wouldn't recommend this place for light sleepers like us.
Breakfast buffet disappointing - no fresh fruit except for old looking apples and bananas.
Kids would love the pool and slide but people can watch the pool from the dining room which I find creepy

Room Tip: Ask for rooms not facing the highway
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear MaryBethC786,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton hotel.
It is from all of our guests comments that we can better our service to everyone. We will look into your comments to ensure better service in the future.

Kentville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed for a hockey tournament. Great location close to highway 104. Close to the wellness centre. Room not ready at 2:30. Staff was not allowed to tell us our room number And could not guarantee that room would be ready at 3 pm checkin time. Ended up calling us back within 10 mins that room was ready. During our stay the town of stellerton was under a boil order for water which is not the fault of hotel. Unfortunately the hotel only sent an email one day prior to stay and provided only 1 liter of bottled water on checkin. In our family of 5 this was not enough supply. Cooler in breakfast area for refills. Refilled numerous time since they refused to give another bottle. Would not make any adjustment in room rates due to inconvenience. Also my kids used the pool which I believe they had dumped huge amount of chlorine because of having so many kids staying at hotel. My kids eyes were terribly red and sore. Bring goggles! Breakfast had lots to choose from

Stayed October 2013
Mark H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Samhamscooter,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. We appreciate your understanding during the "Boil Water Advisory" from the town of Stellarton. This was an issue completely out of our control and the town originally stated that it would be over that Friday. We do apologize for the inconvenience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Needed a clean and quiet hotel for a one night stay in this charming little town. The Holiday Inn Express did not let me down. The rooms were very large and clean. Nothing over the top, but the beds were comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast in the morning was a nice touch.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Bowlth
Dear Bowlth,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. It is with our guest comments that we can better serve our guests. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast.

Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night on business. Good hotel with nice clean rooms. There was a drinking water advisory, so the clerks provided bottled water for brushing teeth and there were water coolers in the dining area for drinking water. The complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning was good, and the only thing bad I can say about the hotel was that it is close to the highway, so some of the rooms can hear the traffic. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Sam W,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. We appreciate hearing all of our guests comments. We appreciate your understanding with the "water boil advisory" in our area. It was nice to hear you enjoyed our hot breakfast.

Stellarton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Got there 30 minutes before check in and they could not get me in, but could get the five different people in ahead of me. Which sucks but it's not check in time yet. But then they couldn't even tell me if someone was doing my room or not. No one would check. I told them to call when it was ready. Got a call at 5:00. Two hours after check in. They weren't even friendly or helpful. That wasn't good but maybe acceptable if it wasn't for everything else. Then my door keys didn't work almost every time I went to use them. On top of that, my wifi wouldn't work on any of my devices, suddenly, and they made me call a number which put me on hold for 20 minutes just for them to tell me that the hotel doesn't have servers to handle all the people. All of this would have been okay if the front desk was trying to do something helpful or at the very least, pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sam W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. I want to assure you that I will be looking into all your comments and striving to ensure these types of issues never happen again. I invite you to call me directly so that Holiday Inn Express Stellarton so we can discuss your past stay here. This is not our normal service to our guests and we strive to make all guests happy.
We hope we can serve you again in the future.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 October 2013

Have stayed here numerous times when travelling to and from Cape Breton, to the best of my knowledge it is the newest Hotel/Motel north of the Halifax Airport when enroute to CB.
As others have said this is a pretty typical newer HIE however I have had more issues with recent stays than in the previous 2 years, not sure if management has changed?
Negatives - Even the CAA rate seems pretty steep to me for rural NS e.g. as much as the HIE or Hilton Garden by the airport but after trying the Country Inn once (room and halls reeked of cigarette smoke) I keep coming back to HIE, not sure about the Comfort Inn across the highway but it looks older as well.
My most recent stay was in room 327 and if there's someone above you in 427 you will definitely hear them if you are a light sleeper. There are a fair number of contract workers that stay at this hotel and most of them are up quite early so unless you want to get up at 5:00AM with them, even on a Saturday morning, you might want to bring earplugs just in case your room is beside or below one of theirs. I'm not complaining about these guests or the hours they have to work, just the hotels sound-proofing.
This trip I also had to stuff a towel under the door when a group were in the hall around midnight, they were just talking normally and saying goodnight but the gap under the door (pic attached) is enough that you can certainly hear anyone in the hall - they need to install some kind of trim on the bottom of the door. I don't recall having this issue with other rooms in the past.
The staff seem nice enough however when I mentioned the noise issues when checking out there was no offer to compensate me in any way. Not that I asked for anything but as an example the manager at a Hilton Garden Inn in NYC put enough points in my account to cover a 1 night stay just because their internet was down for 2 hours, I had not asked for anything, she just did it.
2 items made me question how well my room might have been cleaned 1) there was a half empty bottle of water in the fridge so obviously it wasn't checked, and 2) the plastic cutlery package by the coffee machine had been opened and partly used.
Lastly I would say that the breakfast buffet can be hit and miss and this time the scrambled eggs (tasted like powdered) and sausage were a huge miss - ugh, I've had better quality food from a hospital vending machine.
Positives - good location, comfortable beds, various rooms types for single travelers or families, the building has never been smoked in, decent little gym and a good size pool with slide for the kids if travelling with family. Again I don't think there are any other hotels in the north-east part of the province that offer all of these things combined, closest comparable I think would be Truro.

Room Tip: ask for top floor away from the elevator if you want the best shot at a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Bluenoser321,

We were so sorry to read you comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. I as the General Manager appreciated speaking with you to discuss your notes and want to assure you that this is not our typical quality of service to any of our guests. We have taken all of your comments and we have acted on all of them to better serve all of our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent stay, and hope we can serve you again in the future to show that we are a property of choice for everyone coming to our area.

Mark H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stellarton
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
#2 of 3 in Pictou
Customs House Inn
Customs House Inn
#7 of 12 in Pictou

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow? Share your experiences!