“Peaceful and Friendly”

Ranked #5 of 14 Muizenberg B&B and Inns
Dorchester, England, United Kingdom
“Peaceful and Friendly”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed here in January 2012 for two nights and had a brilliant time. The accommodation is beautiful and kept clean and in top condition. It kept cool despite the hot weather and was a peaceful haven for us, nice and quiet in the evenings and at night. The location is great, close to the beach and cafes etc and only a short drive or train journey from central Cape Town and other bays further down the coast. Simric and Carey provided excellent hospitality, with good local recommendations and an amazing breakfast each morning. Even beyond the call of duty they drove us to the train station when we were running late! We would highly recommend this place to stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Berlin
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We visited Samhitakasha Cob House in December and stayed there for 3 nights. We found the room really special, both in its outer form and in its interior. All very carefully crafted and designed to the highest standards of organic construction.
Our hosts were very friendly and hospitable and made our stay very enjoyable. Only the overall location could be slightly better - but if you come with a car, this is not a problem. There is also a metro train nearby.
The host family has a dog - he is ok but this should be known to the guests.
All in all a place that we would really recommend.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 2 January 2012

A very unique natural room with lots of space. The bed is ‘very’ comfortable and stylishly made of re-claimed wood. It was interesting to read and view the house construction - of which is decorated in its own distinctive way.

Staying here will reduce your carbon footprint as they re-use waste water and use organic materials across the board. Great selection of organic teas too!
Like a lot of neighbourhoods there are a few local vocal dogs – but we did only stay one night – earplugs might help you from being woken too early.

The host was more than happy to tell us about the local area and good places to eat. You can even relax in the room (on the sofa) and read lots of local literature to help you plan.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 11 December 2011

My girlfriend and I stayed three nights in late November at the Samhitakasha Cob House in Muizenberg , South Africa . It is a very unique place made of natural materials. If you stay here be sure to read about the house’s construction. At the Cob House, you are basically renting a room and a bath with an outside entrance. Bathroom products such as soap and shampoo are provided and they are organic. We had brought our own, but weren't aware that the house utilized this "grey water" for their garden so it was imperetive to utilize the products they provided in our case. This got me to thinking about what exactly is in the soaps and shampoos that I use on a daily basis.

The room is spacious and welcoming; all of the furnishings are organic fibers. The bed is extremely comfy. Simric and Carey could not be more hospitable hosts. They were paitient and gracious as we asked multiple questions on places to go and how to get there. We opted to get breakfast and it was great. In the mornings at a time of our liking, either Carey or Simric brought us breakfast through a connecting door. It is about the best organic and natural breakfast we ever had. Fruit, cereal, yogurt, bread, jams, honey and peanut butter. We were told that Samhitakasha means “place of unity” in Sanskrit. We couldn’t agree more.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Not only did they fully accomodate us with everything we needed. ie. daily breakfast, organic shampoo and conditioner, information about the area, airport transport, and a day trip to cape point. They made us feel like we were friends of the family. For 2 females in their twenties it was great! To be honest i think it would be great for anyone at any age!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
Fernie, Canada
Reviewed 1 December 2011

I didn't want to leave. Before I even met Simric and his wonderful family, he answered my emails and many questions thoughtfully and with much helpful detail. I was travelling solo. Simric came out late in the evening to collect me at the Cape Town airport. Yes, there is a cost for the service , but it was extremely reasonable! When I arrived, he was there waiting for me, as planned. I was not left to wait and wonder, like some of my previous and later transfers. My room was delightful. Spacious, bright and comfortable. All the materials in the room from the walls to the floors right down to the towels and handmade soap are chemical free and non-toxic. When I entered my room, there was a pretty glass pitcher of fresh water infused with mint leaves and a vase with fresh flowers from their garden. The ocean (you can hear it)/the beach, public transportation(daytime), hiking trails and great food, are nearby. There are also numerous books and brochures in the room which help provide info about the area. Simric & Carey are great with helping out with directions too. Breakfast was healthy, fresh and delicious! Everything was organic - yogurt, granola, (and other cereals) fruits, toast, jam, honey, peanut butter, teas... I don't normally enjoy breakfast, but I really enjoyed my breakfast's at the Samhitakasha! Breakfast time was not written in stone. Instead it was served according to my/their daily schedule. Simric was my personal guide for 4 of the 5 days I stayed with them. He is knowledgable, personable, a safe driver and he took me places regular tourists don't get to see and I wouldn't have seen otherwise; and he knows the great local places to eat! Simric is a terrific guide. His itineraries were based on what I wanted to see & do and the time available. I learned and saw a lot of the Cape, but there is still so much to see & do! I'll have to come back. I highly recommend Simric's guided tours! Although, I only got to spend 5 days with Simric, his family and of course, Biscuit their dog, I grew very fond of all of them. Their philosophy and practices around the environment and diet mirrored my own. I was always made to feel welcomed! Living half a world away in Canada, I will miss them but hope to return! If Simric and Carey are still at Samhitakasha - I KNOW WHERE I WILL STAY!!!
Terri
Fernie, BC
Canada

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Nice, France
Reviewed 29 November 2011

The Cob House is indeed a unique and special place. I was attracted to this guest house by the philosophy behind it and when I arrived I was not let down at all. The room is very spacious and with the afternoon sun shining through the windows, the space feels so calm and serene. I love the colours, the beautiful curtain seperating the bathroom, the water infused with peppermint, the herbal ginger tea and last but not least the amazing breakfast that everyone raves about. It's a lot of food and a wonderful start to the day.

Simric and Carey are super lovely hosts. I was travelling alone and they very kindly invited me out to the Friday night Community Market (which is a must for travellers!) with them. So much yummy food to try and local brews of beer and organic wine!

Also make sure you pop down to Kalk Bay to try the fish and chips at Kalky's and stroll along the streets with great knick knacks.

I had a fantastic time. Hope you will come and find out for yourself too.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muizenberg
Colona Castle
#1 of 10 in Muizenberg
Admiralty Bed & Breakfast
Admiralty Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 14 in Muizenberg

Been to Samhitakasha Cob House Organic B&B? Share your experiences!