“An Outstanding Combination of Breakfast and Ambience”
Review of Cucina Labia

Cucina Labia
Ranked #3 of 32 Restaurants in Muizenberg
Price range: US$4 - US$12
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Built in 1929 to reflect the spirit of 18th century Venice, Casa Labia is the former Muizenberg residence of Count and Countess Natale Labia. Cucina Labia occupies the ground floor and outside areas of Casa Labia. Many parts of the restaurant have views of False Bay. In keeping with the heritage of the Labia family, our menu is influenced by Italian cuisine. The venue is also used for weddings and other events.
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Casa Labia, the building and its collectables, have over many years been at the forefront of opulence in Muizenberg. It had a slight setback as a dedicated museum a few years ago, but has been "taken back" and is now a popular venue for breakfasts, teas and lunches.

About three years ago, we came for tea and scones outside, which at the time was not outstanding, but on this visit we sat inside. Effectively we were in a museum with lovely works of art around us and if we cared to walk around after we had placed our order, there were lovely views out towards the sea.

The service was attentive, but not irritating and i went for "the top of the menu breakfast". I have just looked on their menu to see what to call it and the best I can come up with, is their description: "eggs Pavarotti with poached eggs, spinach, pancetta & a red pepper Hollandaise sauce on sweet potato toast" It currently costs R88, which is not the cheapest breakfast in town, but was great value considering the creative, well plated, generous breakfast, combined as it was with the unique interior of Casa Labia and the great service. The other guests ordered smaller items from the menu, but all declared they were more than happy with what they got, although I am sure when we all go back again we will all order the... "eggs Pavarotti with poached eggs, spinach, pancetta & a red pepper Hollandaise sauce on sweet potato toast"!

1  Thank RogerCapeTown
There are newer reviews for Cucina Labia

Reviewed 5 April 2014

This Italian villa, facing False Bay, is absolutely exquisite. The food is prepared and served with great care, and, if you sit on the terrace, the view is lovely.
Their events, such as champagne concerts, are very good too; this is a perfect location for small, live performances.

Reviewed 20 March 2014

I spent a long time wandering around the Italian style rooms and will post some images in a few days. The gallery upstairs is beautifully aspected, looking directly over the blue sea and sky. At the end of the upstairs gallery is the shop. The range was not enormous but the items were chosen with care.

The manager Ian Walters was available and glad to hear that I was a reviewer for Trip Advisor. He gave me a summary paper which described the very short building period - between 1 and 2 years commencing in 1929. The architect was given the brief to design a 20 roomed residence to reflect the style of the 18th century Palazzo. After a change in ownership the building was rennovated in 2010. The art gallery has been in use as such since late 2012.

The restaurant which I did not sample on this occasion is obviously a cool place to go for lunch. I watched both arriving customers and staff for some time and felt the quality of both was not lacking. I think you could put on your glad rags and have an excellent party or wedding anniversary and not be disappointed.

1  Thank Brian-Snellgrove
Reviewed 22 January 2014

What more could you want? Very tasty, moderately priced food in a magnificent building with fabulous views AND a gift shop AND an art exhibition space AND quality art books on sale?? I am surprised this restaurant has received some mediocre reviews. It is one of my favourite places in Cape Town and I recommend it warmly.

Reviewed 27 December 2013 via mobile

A must visit restaurant. Excellent food, extremely attentive service. Views to die for and a historically significant site.

1  Thank Greg M