“Nice Hotel (but check your bill)”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Denver, CO
“Nice Hotel (but check your bill)”
Reviewed 6 September 2013

First time had stayed here the weekend of August 16th-18th and we enjoyed hiking in Vail and attend Ed Fest in Edwards. Booked the Maya package which seemed to be a good deal with two free margaritas and $50 gift card to on-site restaurant. Got a very nice basic room as part of the package with fully equipped mini kitchen and comfortable bed. I would consider possibly booking a nicer larger room in the future. Room faced pool and great view of mountains.

Some complaints about room was that a gap under the door that let a lot of light into the room(had to use a towel to block light to darken room) and noisy guests retuning to their rooms could be heard from the hallway. Another slight con was the valet only parking and since hotel was fully booked during our stay had to wait each time even when calling down to get car. Valet were friendly and professional though and we tipped well each time, which I think helped expedite service.

Pool and spa were very nice and workout facilities are top notch. With the $20 + tax resort fee you might as well enjoy these amenities.

Had dinner at Maya and menu is very similar to Tamayo in Denver (Richard Sandoval restaurants) which we liked a lot. Maya is relatively new to this Westin location and there are some issues that needed to be worked out regarding charging to room and ordering room service. We had asked our waiter if we could charge to our room and there was a little attitude and were told we'd have to somehow prove we were staying there, so we just paid separate.

The other issue I found out later after checking out was that the room service amenity my husband had ordered through Westin concierge was supplied through Maya and showed up on our bill at checkout but was also charged later by Maya. I had to contact the hotel to fix this, which they did credit it, but then tried to charge resort fees again which I had already paid, then had to request this to be credited. Just a little brain damage after the fact that makes me concerned with staying here again and having to sort though my bill after my stay.

Overall, nice hotel and great location close to I-70 and next to beautiful river with mountain views.

Room Tip: ask for mountain view when booking
1 Thank westendgirlco
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa. We're glad to hear you enjoyed our resort. Our appologies for the room charge and billing issues you experienced. We appreciate your feedback and will ensure these are addressed for future guests. We hope to see you again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2013

The rooms, service, cleanliness, ambiance and food were exceptional. Walking along the river was a powerful experience offering a chance to exercise, fly fish, relax on the rocks or just "be." Having the river along the hotel added something very special to this beautiful destination.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Thank you for staying with us a the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our natural surroundings and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We stayed at the westin riverfront in June 2013. What a magical experience! The room was beautifully decorated and impeccably clean. The service at the resort was 5-star. Enjoyed the market for breakfast items and coffee each morning and found the concierge very helpful with setting up plans for fly-fishing, stand-up paddle-boarding, and hiking. The only drawback was the dates we chose: the gondola and on-mountain biking don't open until June 15-- we will remember that for next time! Overall, a wonderful experience.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank melanie G
We're delighted you were able to enjoy such a fun filled vacation from our resort. Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and we look forward to seeing you again soon!
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband & I love to visit about once a month, we drive up from Denver & it's our mini escape from the city. We love to relax by the pool, rent bikes. We enjoy happy hour on the outdoor patio & we most definitely visit spa Anjali for a relaxing massage! Bonus we get to bring our dog with us every time because this hotel is super dog friendly- he just loves the Westin pet bed & walks along the river.

Room Tip: Ask for a mountain view suite!
Green Features: The hotel recycles & gives you extras if you opt out of linen change, if you are staying more than one night in effort to help conserve water.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront! We appreciate your continued loyalty and look forward to seeing you, and your pooch, again soon.
Breezy Point, New York
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Stayed in the owners section so can't vouch for the hotel rooms but the studio I stayed in was perfect. Had everything you could possibly need, clean modern and spacious. Staff is great. Restaurant on site, Moya, was really good and they have a great happy hour. I really can't say anything bad about this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our resort and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor!
Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed here with my family and parents visiting out of state, for an end of summer three day weekend. So impressed from the time we walked in the door to the time we left. All staff were friendly and accommodating to our needs. We stayed in a King suite with mini kitchen and it was very nice and extremely quiet even though the front of the hotel was our view. The breakfast restaurant was excellent but we truly loved having dessert and drinks at the Mexican restaurant on site. Pool was stunning with a beautiful view of the stream and mountains. Poolside drinks were strong and wonderful. The only negative was paying $25 a night per car to park.

What a treat it was to escape reality for a few days and enjoy some true mountain bliss!

Room Tip: If you are a Starwood member using points, you can redeem them for King studio suites if you call St...
Green Features: We decided to waive the daily housekeeping for extra Starpoints. Well worth it if you are staying for a short period of time. You can request extra coffee supplies and water in room anytime. We also received two free cocktail drinks per room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront! We're delighted to hear our resort provided the perfect location for your family rendezvous. We hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I'm a recent SPG Platinum and booked a 5 night award stay on points (5th night free). I called a few days before asking about possible upgrades and they said I could confirm an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite for $100/night. Given we knew we'd be paying $25/night for valet parking and $20/night for resort fees, we didn't want to pay more for our "free" award stay.

So we took our chances and the morning of check in, my SPG app showed a 1 bedroom suite with a mountain view. Aside from the extra space, we had a full kitchen (stocked with every cooking pot and utensil you can imagine) as well as a washer/dryer in the room.

Note: there was a connecting door to a second room, so I think my 1 bedroom suite would be same livingroom/kitchen as the 2 Bedroom suite.

You can read from the other reviews about the hotel rooms and resort amenities. Some suggestions for families:

- Summer rates are very attractive ($159/night for traditional rooms using the AAA rate), but I hear that November (before Thxgvg) is the low season so probably better rates then too.

- The Safeway on I-70 between Vail and Avon is a bit cheaper than the City Market in the Avon Village area. Sign up for the Safeway membership card and save some $ on groceries.

- Self parking is $15 if you're a Villas (timeshare) member. They say that it's "like $50/night" if you self park w/o being a member, but I didn't test that out.

- The on site market has most things you'd want (think 7-11) but they're priced at a premium as you'd expect.

- Westin Green Choice is 1000 SPG points / night if you reserve this at check in, but only 500 if you decide the night before.

- Housekeeping does a decent job, but they have so many rooms to clean that I'm sure most homemakers will find a lot of room for improvement. My homemaker did!

- There's a ton of families with kids so it's very accommodating for families, including a Westin Kids Club (but your child needs to be 5 years old to attend).

Hours
- Saturday-Thursday: 9AM-5PM
- Friday-Saturday: 9AM-5PM and 6PM-9PM
- 24 Hour Reservations Required

Prices (per child)
- $95 for All Day (4-8 hours)
- $55 for 3 Hour Sessions
- $24 per Hour
- $10 for Picnic Style Lunch

Also, I'll tell you about the SPG Villas Sales Presentation. For 90 minutes of my time, they offered 11,000 SPG points or $175 Amex Gift Card. Since I know how to optimize the SPG points, I took the points. However, I needed to attend the presentation with my wife for the points.

The sales pitch was very low pressure and actually very interesting. In terms of programs, the Starwood Villas is much more interesting than the others I've attended. Instead of getting "a room for 1 week somewhere," you instead get StarOption (points) that you can use as currency for any of their 19 properties with costs varying based on time of year (high/low season) and room size (studio, 1 BR, 2 BR). That being said, the Starwood Villas program not as broad in terms of # of properties around the world. If you wanted, you could convert your StarOptions to regular SPG points, but after doing the math, I didn't want to prepay $15-50k for a perpetual stream of SPG points. I can earn them for free by staying at Starwood or spending on my SPG Amex.

My 11k points haven't posted yet (it's been about a week), but I'm sure they will.

Room Tip: I was told I had a mountain/river view room but it really faced the front/side of the hotel (corner...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Songer5
Congratulations on your recent Platinum SPG status and thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're glad you were able to get your upgrade and are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
The Sebastian - Vail

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!