“Nice 4-Diamont Dog Friendly Place to Vacation”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 30 November 2013

This is my first review on tripadvisor, which I feel compelled to write after reading some of the negative comments. During the past three years I have vacatoned at the Westin in mid-August. Initially, I picked the Westin because it was dog friendly. Indeed, it is one the very few resort hotels that does not charge extra for four legged family members. And from what I observed, the number of dogs seems increase every year.

My compliments go out to the staff of this well run hotel. In particular, the hotel should be especially thankful for Tony at the front door and Brenda at the front desk. A loss of either of these two key employess would be a loss to the hotel. Both deserve promotions and pay raises. During my last stay Brenda went out of her way to arrange for an early check-in, and for a hassle free change of rooms. My wife and I switched from a Studio Suite to the Two-Bedreem Suite to make room for our daughter and her fiancee who were joining us for their second stay at the resort. During out last stay we oped for the Two-Bedoom rather than two 450 square foot Studio Suites in order to take advantage of the full kitchen as well as the extra room. The Two-bedroom Suites, which range in size from 1,200-1,400 feet, are actually a One-Bedroom Suites with an adjoining Traditional Suite. As for the Studio Suites, it appears that those with the "mountain view" are 450 square feet, whereas those on the north side (highway view), are 500 square feet. I prefer the extra room. After all, if you must have a mountain view all you need to do is to go down to the lobby.

As for those who feel the need to exercise, the 8,000 fitness club is second to none. Personally, I prefer to work out in the pool, followed by a dip in the outdoor hot tubs. During out last two stays, my wife and daughter enjoyed the Spa Anjali, which by the way, offers discounts during off days.

As for the restaurant, Maya serves fine Mexican food, but unless you like loud music, I would not recommend dining when the band is playing outside during the summer months.

Unfortunately for the Westin, running a 4-Diamond resort does not guarantee 4-Diamond guests. There are those who are not happy unless they can find something to complain about, i.e., parking and resort fees. As for the so-called "hidden fees," there are none. The parking and resort fees are posted clearly on the internet.

My only recommendation for the General Manager, Jeff Burell, is to install a "dog wash" down by the Eagle River. While swimming in the river, dogs pick up silt which ultimately ends up in the hotel. Having a place to bath your dog would be helpful both for the dog owner and hotlel. Brenda thought it was a good idea, which is another reason to promote her.

In closing, have a nice day, enjoy your stay, wherever it is -- AND PLEASE -- STOP COMPLAINING.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side a larger, and for familes, pick the Two-Bedroom Suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank wearytraveler2
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 December 2013

Thank you for sharing your experiences at our resort on Trip Advisor. We appreciate you returning every august to enjoy everything we have to offer. We're delighted to hear our staff are able to help personalize your stays and make them memorable. We love Tony and Brenda as well! Jeff would like you to know he thinks your dog washing station suggestion is a great idea. We're replacing our entire pool deck this coming spring and we'll look at that as an option as we finalize those plans. We look forward to seeing you again next august!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

Service is what makes a hotel and I was very disappointed in the customer service. Upon check in, the lady who started to check me in walked away because she seemed very irritated that I asked for a view of the mountains. Not an upgrade from what I had (I'm platinum spg) but just a nice view for my wife and kids. She responded with its an additional charge, she was fed up when I asked why because a platinum spg should get a complement upgrade if one is available. She stormed off saying she couldn't deal with this. The front desk manager took over and was nice as could be and even offered a discount to a meal but I already didn't feel welcomed and felt weird when walking near the front desk on my 5 night stay. Btw didn't get a better view because none was available which contradicted what the lady said. I had a second room booked for family who was checking in next to me and they couldn't believe what happened. Also when you valet you car, be sure to wait in your car until they are ready for you. I parked two cars back and handed the keys to the attendant who was walking to my car (with a tip). He grab my keys thanked for my tip then walked around the car and rudely told my wife (not to me) to wait in the car until they get the others unloaded. It's not like it was unsafe to get out. The staff needs some serious customer service training. Maybe staying 6 days is over staying my welcome. I do not recommend this hotel to anyway that wants a nice experience. You maybe lucky to avoid the bad apples but I can't guarantee it. I will not return.

Stayed: November 2013
2  Thank MileMoore
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Valued Platinum Guest,

We are very sorry to hear of your disapointing experience and apologize for the issues and confusion you encountered during your arrival. Please be assured, we strive to provide a warm and welcoming arrival experience as we understand the importance of first impressions and want your stay with us to be great from start to finish. I would value the opportunity to discuss your experience in further detail. At your convenience, please reach out to me directly at 970.790.2066

Reviewed 19 November 2013

I stayed using the Fine Hotels and Resort rate which is available to American Express Platinum cardholders. Two breakfasts, room upgrade, and $100 spa credit. The staff was very friendly. Michael, the front desk supervisor, gave me a quick tour of the property and was very friendly. He definitely made my stay memorable.

The only negative would be my experience with the spa. The woman working the front desk at the spa wasn't very friendly. The $100 spa credit for some reason did not work with their "specials". Typically spas at hotels have over priced massages, but for a Westin property the prices were a bit steep (including a mandatory 18% gratuity). Though, the massage was excellent.

If you are able to get a 1 bedroom suite they are great!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

We're delighted to hear you enjoyed your Fine Hotels and Reesorts stay at the Westin Riverfront and that Michael was able to make your stay memorable. We appreciate you feedback regarding your spa experience and apologize for not receiving a friendly welcome for your treatment. We're glad your treatment was enjoyable and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 19 November 2013

Enjoyed an amazing stay at the new resort at the gates of Beaver Creek (ski in ski out). The spa and fitness center are the best I've ever experienced at any hotel (out of hundreds). The views from every window are breath taking making reading my book difficult as I rather stare out the windows. Our room which was an upgrade was a luxury one bedroom on the 9th (top floor) the bellman explained it was a penthouse one bedroom and had the nicest views in his opinion. Stunning views from three sides looking toward the back bowls of Vail, up to the slops of Beaver Creek, and across Avon from the bedroom. Service was 5 stars all the way. The suite upgrade was priceless... You must check this place out!

Room Tip: Push for a unit on the top floor 9th. amazing views and high ceilings. Luxury 1 bedroom is amazing!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're very pleased you had such wonderful stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 November 2013

Beautiful hotel with wonderful service. The one bedroom studio was effeciently and elegantly furnished. Just about as perfect as it can get. Will be back during ski season and this property will be on our list of incredible options in Vail/Beaver Creek!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back during ski season. It's looking like its going to be a great snow year!

Reviewed 4 November 2013

Be careful when you buy the hotel room, they have hidden fees, like: resort fee:$50 per night, also they charge for parking another $50 for self parking or $25 vallet parking but maybe not everybody feels comfortable with vallet parking...the vallet keeps the keys of your car overnight!! So you decided to do self parking...it was $50 per night!!
They had a promotional rate: $119 per night but we ended up paying $217 with all the fees and taxes!! I think thats false advertising, at least the parking...there is nowhere on their website saying they'll charge for parking!! and $50 / night??!!!

Overall it was a good stay, the rooms unexpected clean, updated furniture, it was a kitchenette room and they even have dishes, cooking pans, a stove, microwave...and all these in your room!! The hotel view it was amazing!!
They don't charge for pets, we had 2 big dogs and they gave them dog pillows and bowls. You'll have to sign a waiver at front saying you are responsible for any dog damages, so if you are lucky and your pet won't pee on the carpet you won't get charged any other fees!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank punch1232013
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted you enjoyed your room and that your 4 legged friend was able to join you for your getaway! We appologize if you were not aware of our resort fee or valet parking charges prior to your stay. Our resort fee is $20 per day and valet parking is $25 per day which are both in line with, or more affordable than, other resorts in the area. We do our best to have this information available to you from multiple sources including during the reservation process and on your confirmation email. We appreciate your feedback and will look to find any opportunity we may have to better commnicate this information. Thank you again and we hope to see you back at the Westin Riverfront.

Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

Modern yet cozy, service attentive yet not smothering, great views, and really no reason to leave all weekend. Room was perfect; linens high quality, bathroom w/lots of options, closet organized w/shelving, kitchenette fully stocked w/tool & dishes. Small fridge & microwave, perfect. Loved the property.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank db80230
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2013

We're delighted you enjoyed our resort so much! We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and hope to see you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#10 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!