“Not as good as the first time”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Not as good as the first time”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2014

My husband and I stayed for 5 nights during the Christmas holidays. This was our second stay at the hotel – we enjoyed our first stay in 2011 so much that we decided to return. Things were definitely not the same 3 years later. Overall, the hotel is still beautiful and nice but the Management of the hotel is not definitely as good as in 2011. We had received an email from the previous manager after our first review of the hotel, saying that if we ever came back to let them know as they would like to thank us for our positive review. I thought this was nice and so when I booked our stay, I reached out to the hotel to let them know I was coming and would also be celebrating my birthday during the stay. I ended up sending 3 different emails from people and I never heard anything back. This definitely did not create a great impression – especially as an SPG platinum member (with 100+ nights). The hotel could have at the very least sent a standard acknowledgement that we got your email and will do everything possible, etc. etc. without having to promise anything.

To the hotel’s credit we did get upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite for our stay during the holiday period which was nice – however it was one of the small 1 bedroom suites – not one that we had previously stayed in. Upon check in we did have to wait for the room to be ready.

We ate at the Maya restaurant one night – the food was terrible. I didn’t even eat my plate as I found it quite disgusting. We also tried having appetizers at happy hour in their lobby – it is a great atmosphere with the fire and beautiful views but the food was again terrible – we ordered a charcuterie plate – this was also disgusting as the meat was cheap like baloney meat and looked off colour. I would definetly not recommend eating at the hotel. We had free continental breakfast for being an SPG member – and this was good and plentiful. We often ate in our rooms – just brining the food up. But you could also eat in their restaurant or in a little café.

My husband and I also had massages at the Spa Anjali – they were very nice, as were the facilities. We thoroughly enjoyed it. Also, because we went down in our Westin Robes from the hotel room, we each got a $10 credit! This wasn’t advertised and so I thought it was a nice surprise. The hot tubs are also nice but you have to go early in the day as by 4pm they are full with kids and people. Granted we were there during the peak of the holiday season but we found going at 2 or 3pm – we could enjoy one of the outdoor hot tubs to ourselves.

Overall, it is a beautiful hotel, with easy access to the mountain (it is a little annoying to have to take 3 lifts to finally start skiing from the hotel but at least you can walk out of the hotel with your gear on and just go instead of talking a shuttle). The service I think is questionable – people make you feel like they are doing you a favor. I was also disappointed as the hotel didn’t acknowledge my birthday. I’ve stayed at other hotels celebrating a special occasion and always received a hand written card or food or wine. At this hotel – nothing. Even while skiing at my birthday, the ski pass scanners would sing me happy birthday every time I went on a lift. It was really quite cute of the Beaver Creek Ski hill to have this feature on their machines. The Westin Beaver Creek could go further in providing better service to elevate the hotel to what it can be.

I would recommend eating around Beaver Creek- we had some great meals around town (Vin 48, Grousse Mountain Grill (very good), & the Met (also pretty good) – and mostly took the shuttle that comes right in front of the hotel – it was great, easy and convenient.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 1 March 2014
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront! We apprecitate you coming back to stay with us and are glad to hear there are still many elements of the resort you enjoyed. We are sorry to hear this stay was not as good as the last for you however. I apologize that no one replied to your email. It is possible that the manager you heard from originally is no longer here at the resort. We do try to respond to all email inquiries as well as recognize special occassions such as birthdays and anniversaries. Again, I apologize this was not part of your experience. We are also sorry to hear you did not enjoy your dining experiences in Maya or the lobby. We appreciate your feedback on the matter as we are always looking to adjust and improve.

Thank you again and we hope to see you back again to provide you another experience just as good as the first!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Shelby Township, MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

Our family stayed at the hotel by renting from an owner. We still had access to all of the facilities. The kids (8 & 10 yrs old) loved the kids club, but were disappointed that Monday through Thursday it is only open till 7pm. It made it difficult to get there after a full day of skiing. We were able to hustle two of the days to get them checked in for the last 2 hours. For an additional charge of $10 per child, they could order dinner there which the kids enjoyed. The staff was great and welcomed the kids immediately. Maybe there should be an additional evening during the week that guests can sign up for in advance. If no one signs up by a certain time, then don't open. Hats off to the ski valet staff, boot room staff and the front door staff. They made the stay excellent. Very friendly and service oriented. We had no qualms giving them a tip every time we used their services. They really hustled. Lobby bar food was good, but the staff seemed a little overwhelmed at times. Very few of them for the number of customers. Lobby couches need to be cleaned up a little more as they definitely take a beating every evening with people hanging out enjoying food, drinks and music. Kids loved the daily cookies. Market food was good. Needed a little more variety in their soups. The pullout sofa bed in the rooms is definitely uncomfortable, but the room was a nice size.

Room Tip: Hall noise is quite loud at night and can be easily heard in the rooms. Try to get a room away from...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're delighted to hear our Kids Club team made your children's visit so special. We appreciate your kudos to our Ski Valet and Valet teams. They do work hard and they do a great job for us. We also appreciate your feedback and suggestions on the lobby bar experience as we are always looking to improve our resort experience. We hope to see you back again soon!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2014

We stayed here February 2014 and it snowed every day. WE LOVED IT! My kids (1.5 and 3.5 year old) loved playing in the jacuzzi while it was snowing. There are 3 infiniti jacuzzis so there definitely is enough room for different crowds :)

The gondola ride was fun for the kids itself. At one point, we sat in the gondola and went back and forth 4 times at the request of the kids!

The downside is that it takes a little while to get to BC village. After we got off the gondola, we usu waited about 10-15 minutes for the bus to take us to the village. However, 10-15 min while snowing and with 2 toddlers is quite a long time. Once on the bus, we shared the bus with a bus full of skiers and snowboarders (plus their equipment). Boy! It was packed! So I wasn't a big fan of this.

The junior suite we stayed in was wonderful. With little kids, I was able to pick up some groceries and cook in the room. There were 2 cooktops, a sink, pots/pans/kettle, microwave, sink, toaster, utensils/dinnerware.. etc. It has everything you expect to be in a kitchen (expect big oven). Again, this was wonderful bc we didn't want to drag 2 kids that were tired from all the sledding/snowplay/ice skating to a sit down restaurant. There's a city market as well as a walmart superstore nearby :)

Valet parking was nice. Our car was always ready by the time we got downstairs. (We always call ahead to let them know we were on the way).

We flew into Eagle County Airport which is only 30 minutes away from Beavercreek. It is such a easy airport to go in/out!!

We would definitely return :)

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We are thrilled to hear you and your entire family enjoyed our resort so much. New snow every day certainly helps make a trip to Beaver Creek memorable! We look forward to seeing you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We are very lucky. When ever my Brother-in-Law comes out to ski with us, he always books his reservations with The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa. He is a member, so he just uses his points to stay there. We always enjoy the wonderful service. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. The rooms are great! We always get a room with a full kitchen so we can just relax after and long day of skiing. My wife prepares food ahead of time and we just freeze it and then thaw and warm in the great kitchen.
The best part is once you arrive there you do not need your car the rest of the stay. You get up in the morning go down & pickup your skis and put on your boots and walk out to the Gondola that takes you right to the slopes. We enjoy staying there!

Room Tip: If you can get a room on the South side facing the ski area, it is always nice to watch the lights a...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rgoben
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 19 February 2014
Sounds like the perfect ski vacation! We appreciate your brother-in-law's loyalty to Starwood and are thrilled you get to take advantage of his points and stay with us. We appreciate you continuing to enjoy our resort and thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We hope to see you again soon and you'll have to join SPG as well!
Denver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2014

This was our second stay at the Westin; both were during the Winter. We haven't stayed anywhere else in Avon/Beaver Creek so I can't compare but this place is really top notch. The facilities are great (pool, hot tubs, large gym, spa, yoga, etc), the lobby is awesome for hanging out and the rooms are very comfortable. The standard rooms are best for two people and a little snug for four with a pullout couch. Storage is limited - if more than two people you'll live out of your suitcase. There is a kitchenette and with stove, microwave, sink and pots/pans/dishes/silverware - stop for munchies, sodas, s'more ingredients (there's a fire pit) and alcohol before you check-in. Parking is valet-only so be ready for that charge but they are really good. Best part may be the ski valet service and gondola. When you pull in your luggage goes to the room and your ski gear goes to the ski valet. You pick up your boots in the morning at the boot check inside, then grab your skis right next to the gondola that sits a few steps outside back of the hotel. Hop on the gondola that take you across a few roads and parking and drops you at the chair lift that goes up the mountain. It is so nice not humping ski gear to shuttles, across parking lots, etc. - if you're with kids you'll appreciate it even more - you really get spoiled by this service. Only complaint - the wonderful lobby is a bit small for the hotel - when the hotel is almost full good luck getting a spot - people grab seats/couches early and camp out for hours.

Room Tip: There are essentially two views - mountain and highway. However, the hotel is pretty far off of I-7...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for coming back to stay with us at the Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa. We're delighted to hear your second stay was just as good as the first and that our staff and facilities continue to provide a memorable experience for you and your family. We hope to see you again soon.
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2014

Unfortunately I can not rate the property because I was out of luck: my flight out of Newark, NJ was cancelled due to the ice storm on Feb. 5th. I was supposed to attend a professional seminar at the hotel from 02/05 through 02/08 and return on Feb.9th. My tuition for this seminar was $1,500 ( non-refundable). I tried to cancel my reservation for four nights and was told that they will not refund anything because of their" 30 days prior" cancellation policy. The best they could do is to re- book my reservation through April 6th. That only added insult to the injury:because not only there was no seminar that I was planning to attend and paid for during this time, but the so called offer was so riddled with limitations and exclusions that I was disgusted just reading it. I expected maybe a one night penalty and possibly a choice of re-booking for the next year.. But to be charged the whole amount for four nights stay is a highway robbery in my opinion. The snooty customer service kept repeating to me that this is their policy and I should have had a travel insurance for this type of occasions. I am 57 years old and I had been to Beaver Creek and multiple other ski resorts before. I had never encountered such callousness and insensitivity from the customer service at a hotel. Needless to say I will stay away from Starwood properties in the future and will warn all my friends and business associates to do the same. At this point I am out of vacation and out of money with a very bad after taste from dealing with Westin.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
7 Thank Victoria__NYNY
We're sorry for the complications you experienced in your travel plans due to the inclement weather in your area. We understand how that can be frustrating. We do everything we can to be up front and forward about our cancellation policies so in the case where we have to uphold them, they don't come as a surprise. We don't normally make exceptions to our cancellation policy such as re- booking at a later date in the ski season, and we're sorry this option wasn't satisfactory for you. At the time of reservation, we also always recommend that our guests purchase travel insurance to protect themselves from unforeseen situations such as the one you encountered.
Louisville, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

This is my fourth trip to Beaver Creek in as many years and I continue to love this hotel. Service is impeccable the accommodations continue to be among the best I've ever experienced. People probably do not talk much about the gyms at their hotels, but this one is incredible, especially for a hotel. The new restaurant, Maya, has fantastic food and atmosphere and as always, we thoroughly enjoy the après ski entertainment and bar in the lobby. Took the luxury of trying the spa this trip after a rough day on the mountain and I was again impressed. Obviously, this is one of my favorite hotels I've ever stayed in and I will continue to return every chance I get. Hopefully, you will enjoy it as much as I have.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the pool also have an excellent view of Beaver Creek. Fun to watch the snow cat...
Green Features: I like their Go Green program to earn extra SPG points.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront. We appreciate you returning to our resort and are delighted to hear our staff a facilities keep bringing you back. See you again next year!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Sonnenalp
Sonnenalp
#1 of 30 in Vail

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!