“I Won't Be Back Again”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

Weeks before my trip, I tried to use 5 of my earned suite nights at the Westin Riverfront Resort in Avon, Colorado. After several weeks, I was notified that no suites were available. Remarkably, however, when I contacted the hotel, suite 408A became available for a $50/night additional fee. It offered mostly a view of the Westin time share building next door and the patio between it and the hotel. So, for $50 a suite is suddenly available, but not as my Platinum amenity or using a suite night upgrade. Room 408A also has no wifi. I can promise you, under the Platinum membership proposition, I did not have the best room available at check in -- even after offering to use my suite nights. Beware also of the $20 per night resort fee -- which I take to mean the spa and gym that I never visited. Add to that a ridiculous $25/night parking fee -- and I felt like I was getting nickel-and-dimed just like the airlines.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2014

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and are sorry to hear you will not be back to stay with us. We apologize your suite night award request did not go through. Certain types of suites are available for that program while others would be available for a paid or Platinum upgrade upon arrival. While we do have a resort fee and parking fee just as all other resorts in the area, we do our best to communicate this up front so there are no surprises and our guests know exactly what to expect.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,114)

Reviewed 1 September 2014

Spent 5 days here end of july. The location is by Beaver Creek and there's a great walking/biking path. Hotel is beautiful and we could imagine how warm and inviting it would be in winter sitting by the enormous fireplace. The lounge areas are large and stocked with lots of books, board games. Tons of comfortable couches and chairs to spend some time reading.

We got a 1 bedroom suite which was spacious, very well furnished and designed. We asked for an extra bed for our daughter and they had a space for it which did not in any way disturb the flow in the living room/kitchen. Bathroom was spacious with double sinks, a separate bathtub and large shower. Kitchen was fully stocked.
Service was excellent. Loved the huge pool and they had 3 hot tubs! overlooking the mountains. We had a such a nice time relaxing in them after a long day of hiking/rafting.
Gym looked great although we did not get any time to use it.
Parking was valet only and expensive - that was the one thing we did not like about our stay.
Dinner at the contemporary Mexican restaurant Maya - again great decor and food and it's presentation. Live music one day which we enjoyed form the hot tub and then from our room.
We would stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

We are thrilled our resort provided the setting for such a fantastic rocky mountain vacation and that you and your family enjoyed all our resort had to offer. You should definitely come back in the winter to see us then as well!

Reviewed 29 August 2014

The room was very nice with tiny, well equipped kitchen area and large bathroom with lots of towels. Beautiful lobby and friendly staff - especially the valet guys. I am just not sure what makes this a resort - especially in the summer. I found the parking charges and the "resort fee" to be too much at a total of $45 per night extra - especially for three nights. The property had no outside areas to give it a "resort" feeling - no where to sit and enjoy the mountains except the small terrace outside the lobby. Since we were not on the preferred view side of the hotel we had a view of Burger King which did not give us a resort feeling. One day our room was not serviced so I asked the maids for towels and they brought them to us and we straightened the bedding.

The Beaver Creek village is about a mile and half up the mountain which made us feel a little isolated since you have to get your car out. We drove over to Vail and enjoyed lunch in the village there and the free bus service to Lionshead Village and the Betty Ford Alpine Garden. A great drive is up through historic Leadville, over Independence Pass and around to Aspen for lunch - gorgeous mountain scenery - then circle on to Glenwood Springs and back to Beaver Creek.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank nowpacking

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We are delighted you enjoyed your room and that our staff made such a friendly impression. We do have a resort fee and parking fee, if you have a vehicle, but find that our fees are some of the lowest in the Vail Valley. Our location actually provides some of the best views in the valley as opposed to be in the village without any view of the horizon. We apologize for missing your day of cleaning, we'll make sure to share your feedback with the team. The drive through Leadville, Independence Pass, and Glenwood is a must do in the area and we're glad you got to experience it. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

Quick Version: $45 in mandatory per night fees. No self-parking. Staff dismissive, condescending, disinterested, un-empathetic service. Tattered carpet, marked walls, broken ice machine. Room noise from pool area. Oil slicked pool. Forced to listen to loud soft rock cover band playing in pool area until late in evening.

I’m very unhappy to report that our stay at this resort was a huge disappointment. Our choice to stay here was largely influenced by Conde Naste Traveler’s Gold List for 2014, on which the hotel was featured. I would strongly encourage Conde Naste Traveler to re-evaluate, as I have had experiences at many other hotels that are by far and away better in service and atmosphere. If you are contemplating a stay at any of the resort towns along I-70, I absolutely recommend you stay somewhere other than this Westin.

Our first (poor) impression of this resort was driving up to the hotel and being confused that there is no self-parking lot or garage. This really seems odd for a place in the open Colorado wilderness. So I proceeded to pull up to the front entrance of the hotel, where I was met by a valet who was impatient and rude to me. I asked about self-parking, and he shortly said there was none and that valet was the only option – at $25 per night. I inquired a little further for another option, and stated my dissatisfaction, and was met with a dismissive, almost forceful short utterance again about valet being the only parking option. I also noticed on the wall as I walked in that the $25 daily valet parking is the same for both resort guests, and walk-ins that are there to ski. So this Westin gives no discount on parking to their paying guests vs. public?

I entered the hotel flustered at my treatment from the valet attendant, and during check-in brought it up with the check-in agent. The agent, like the valet, shrugged off my concern and went on the say to me that the staff themselves deals with the parking shortage of the resort daily, and many walk 2 miles to come into work. It’s evident this resort has a real design flaw with their parking situation, but frankly how unprofessional to talk with a guest checking-in about the staff’s burdens and working conditions – using it as an example of why the guest should be burdened too. He also asked where we were from, and when I stated Columbus, OH, he said “so you both are students?” in a belittling tone. It’s as if he were suggesting that I and my new husband were college students on some sort of joy ride on our parent’s credit card. Ridiculous, obnoxious, and unprofessional.

We then proceeded to find that they’d placed us in a room closest to the lobby, on the lowest floor, right at eye level of guests in the pool area. So we mention on the reservation that we are there to celebrate our honeymoon, and you place us in a room with a gigantic wall to wall, nearly two story window for all the pool area to peer straight into our room? We could hear every voice on the pool deck, and loud music from a live band playing rock classics from the other side of the pool area. Not the peaceful mountain retreat in photos that I’d swooned over while planning our trip. It was rather like witnessing a carnival of humanity right outside our room. Immediately, I dialed the front desk and asked to speak with the manager. I told her of our dissatisfaction with the room, noise, and view, and again reminded them that we were staying on our honeymoon. She offered very little in the way of apology or sympathy, and said the best she could do was move us 4 floors up, but keeping the exact same horizontal position in the hotel. Seeing as she left us with no other options, we took her offer. I also brought up the parking with her again, and after pushing hard, she took the valet fee off. But not without a warning that it would be charged should we stay again in the future.

After about 10 minutes, the person I spoke to on the phone delivered our new keycards. Again she offered no sincere apology or concern. There was never an olive branch extended here, which is really disappointing from a hotel of this supposed caliber. Also, no acknowledgement or anything special offered for our honeymoon – unlike the W Boston where they delivered a plate of fresh chocolate covered strawberries to our room, or the Park Hyatt Chicago where the delivered a delicious cheese plate and a bottle of prosecco – all complementary. Nope, nothing from the service to make a guest feel special here. Just belittling comments, unprofessional attitudes and explanations, and zero empathy for concerns from every person we encountered.

The room itself, a Studio Suite (not an upgrade, what we reserved), was very nice and extremely roomy. Ceilings were super high, and the décor was a mix of furniture with clean-lines and a color palate that goes with the mountain setting. A wood floored entry area and tons of cabinet space greet you at the door. The bathroom was nice, but not the most luxurious or rich feeling that I’ve been in. The “soaking” tub was disappointingly on the small side, plain, and showed staining. Studio Suites also have a large kitchenette area, with deep bar sink, mini fridge, microwave, dual burner flat top range, and is fully stocked with everything you would need to prepare full meals. As an owner of a Disney timeshare, I was impressed with the kitchenette this room. The window, as mentioned before, was beautiful and huge but let in lots of noise from the rock band playing until late in the evening.

Unfortunately, we also found some signs of ill-upkeep around the hotel. Tattered carpet seams, scuffs in the wall treatments all along the hallways, a window that didn’t fully close in our room (warped frame), a stained rolling window shade, and a broken ice machine on our floor. Also having one ice machine per floor is a pain – the floors are enormous. I had to travel what seemed like a mile back and forth to the ice machine several times to retrieve ice, and at one point to another floor once our ice machine ceased to function. The pool, although beautiful, seemed to be covered in a slick of oil residue which was quite noticeable in the sunlight.

There’s also the matter of the mandatory $20 resort fee, which you can add onto the $25 mandatory valet fee. So you’re faced with $45 in mandatory fees atop your regular rate, right off the bat. I tried to notice things, tried to read up in the room’s hotel guide, just what this hotel is offering up different from others so that it can command a $20 resort fee. I really couldn’t come up with any answer, other than wifi access. Which I can tell you (as will other reviewers I’ve since read), the wifi doesn’t work unless you are sitting near the hallway, which you’ll be either on the bench by the entry door, or on the toilet in the bathroom.

We also had a bad start to the next morning: at 6:15am the honeymooners (us) were awoken by someone insisting to collect our laundry. We never requested laundry service! We mentioned this along with ALL of our other issues upon check-in and were offered an disinterested apology, followed up by “but the rest of your stay was good?”. That pretty much was all of our stay: problems and disappointment. As an SPG Member and SPG Amex holder, I expect much more. Are you listening at all, Westin Riverfront?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We are sorry to hear your experience did not meet your expectations. Please contact me directly at 970-790-2066 to discuss the details of your stay and any opportunities we may have to improve our experience.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Two bedroom suite overlooking the pool and the river beyond that, which was well equipped and extremely comfortable.This is a very large hotel complex by the river. Good pool and hot tub. The usual facilities associated with a large hotel. There is a gate to access the riverside walkway, which is very pleasant.

Rated 'Very good", because this grade and cost of hotel needs something to make it stand out. You pay quite a cost, with all the extras for valet parking and leisure clubs etc.

On arrival, we did have a problem with luggage delivery, but in the end the staff dealt with this complaint in a way that shows effective training and customer care for dealing with complaints, although the problem should not have happened.

Would we go here again? Possibly, because the suite itself was large, well equipped and excellent in every way and perfect for us, two couples.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are pleasant enough, but it is a long way away and probably not worth it...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We are delighted you enjoyed your suite and our resort amenities. We apologize for any issues experienced with the delivery of your luggage but we're glad to hear our staff handled the situation promptly and professionally. We look forward to having you back.

Reviewed 28 August 2014

We've stayed at many types of accommodation in this area,but always for the winter sports.But when our first grandchild was born last week,we had already made plans to welcome her into the world while staying here in the tail end if the summer season.This is an excellent 4 star Colorado resort with all the amenities and very well run.Highly recommended ,and Colorado in the summer is all we've ever heard that it was.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Julian H

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and congratulations on the new addition to your family. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you back in the winter.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed at the Westin in Avon for 5 nights in early August 2014 - we had our two kids with us (6 and 3) and had a great time- this is a truly family friendly hotel. We used points through SPG and had a standard room- being a bit concerned about the lack of space- the Westin allowed us to upgrade to one of their 1 bedroom suites for 4 of the 5 nights and it was an amazing room. With 4 of us- we found that the standard room for the first night was VERY tight- we were very lucky to be able to move to the 1 bedroom. If you are traveling with kids- I highly suggest the larger room which has a full kitchen, laundry, and we had an incredible (huge) patio on the 2nd floor overlooking the mountains. The hotel is located at the base of Beaver Creek mountain- you enter Beaver Creek about 1 block from the hotel- and then it is about a 1.5 mile drive to the main village. The hotel is also located right on a paved trail and there is a bike shop in the hotel to make that very easy. You can easily walk to various restaurants- but having a car is very handy to get around and get up to Beaver Creek village- although I do think there is a shuttle service as well. The hotel has an great pool, hot tubs, spa and an incredible gym- probably the best gym I have seen in a hotel. The pool was great for the kids and although there are lap lanes - we found that the staff moved them around based upon volume of the crowd- it worked out great. There is also drink and food service at the pool which made it quite easy. The restaurant in the hotel, Maya, was delicious. They have a party every Friday afternoon with drink specials and live music which is very popular in the area- and lots of fun. The food there was great- really good Mexican- good margaritas- good guac- and kids were welcome. They also have a great happy hour as well that we took part of. Since we were there in August- they were renovating so the Starbucks/market was closed for renovation- but it should open soon- and it looks like it should be pretty nice. If you are coming here in the Winter for skiing you can't get a better location where the gondola leaves directly from the hotel and heads up to Beaver Creek mountain. We really loved the Avon area, lots of great local restaurants and lots of activities. Thanks to the valet guys- they are the best- very helpful and made our entry/exits easy. We will be back!

Room Tip: Get one of the suites- we loved our one bedroom on the 2nd floor- great mountain views.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Angela S

Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. Between renting bikes and cruising the eagle river bike path, enjoying our beautiful outdoor pool deck and world class athletic culb, and margaritas at FAC (Friday Afternoon Club) on the Maya patio, it sounds like you had the perfect summer getaway at our resort. Our central location provides easy access to all the valley has to offer summer or winter and are staff are here to help make the best of your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#10 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!