“Great resort with friendly and knowledgeable staff”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vail, Colorado
“Great resort with friendly and knowledgeable staff”
Reviewed 14 July 2010

I have stayed at the Westin Riverfront on two different occasions. Once in November of 2008 after it opened and the other this past July 4th weekend. On both occasions I had a wonderful time. Everyone at valet, the front desk , Spa Anjali, and the fitness center were very friendly.

Both trips were girls weekends away. We all live in the area and have our pick from many top hotels, but we keep coming back to the Westin Riverfront because of the quality of service and the facility itself. The rooms are very comfortable, especially the heavenly bed. Avondale, the onsight restaurant, is amazing (even if service can be slow sometimes). Some of the best meals I've had. The fitness center is big for a hotel and has alot of new equipment. Plus it backs up to the river which has a running path along it. Spa Anjali is the best part of the hotel. All the staff can recommend the best treatments or massages for you. I had no problem booking an appointment and they were very patient with me while I was deciding on a treatment.

The location is great. No, it is not in Beaver Creek, but it is located at the base of Beaver Creek in Avon only 5 minutes away. And it is only 10 minutes from Vail. This was great for us because some of the days we wanted to shop and have lunch or dinner in Vail and Beaver Creek. We weren't stuck in either location. The town of Avon does have a great bakery and a wonderful restaurant / wine bar called Vin 48 both in walking distance.

If you are looking for a hotel that has a friendly staff, a great spa, delicious restaurant, and a conveniant location to both Beaver Creek and Vail, I would definitely stay at the Westin Riverfront.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank kross14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
HOUSTON
Reviewed 13 July 2010

I'd never been to Avon and now am in love with the area! At first I was a bit concerned about not staying in Vail or Beaver Creek. But after I stayed here I'd say it was well worth not being right at the beav!! The rooms were extremely nice and well kept, I liked that they were attempting to keep things (green) but when I asked for more towels and new sheets a few days in they were very prompt about it. The staff was very helpful in pointing me towards a few eclectic shops and the location on the river was beautiful. It is located along a river and you can literally walk right outside the back of the hotel to trails that line the river! I had everything I needed right there and actually only ventured into Vail once on my trip. Over all it was a cool different experience I was not expecting.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 8 July 2010

I arrived with my wife and kids to experience what I had been told were the best fireworks around. (They’re actually held on the 3rd). We made this a dual purpose vacation, a family reunion in Denver, and a getaway to this spectacular place called The Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa.

I have never written a review before but felt I had to after our fantastic experience at this hotel. The entire staff was friendly, helpful and attentive from the moment we arrived.

Because the Westin was sponsoring the local fireworks extravaganza, as you can imagine, the place was extremely busy. But even through it all, we felt taken care of from the time we drove up, until the moment they helped us pack our car to leave.

The lobby is simply breathtaking. As soon as you walk in, you are treated to a stunning view of the mountains. It’s like you’re looking at a painting. The room was beautiful and so comfortable. Two different housekeepers cleaned our room while we were there. They were both friendly, attended to whatever it was that we asked for (not easy when you’re talking about a family of 5!), and actually seemed like they were happy to be working there. We felt like we were their only guests!

When it was time to walk to the fireworks display, we noticed how many people had gathered in the lobby area and outside, and expected it to be difficult to navigate through the crowd, but it all flowed smoothly. There was staff everywhere holding doors open for the droves of people and offering free water bottles! My whole family was thirsty and it was such a nice surprise.

Overall, my family and I have nothing but praise for the Westin Riverfront Resort and Spa. The hotel itself is majestic, but what made it even more special was the staff. We are already talking about our next trip back. This place was simply: As good as it gets!

Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank SurfAndSkiFamily
JABurrell, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 July 2010
Dear SurfAndSkiFamily,

Thank you so much for providing your feedback and for letting us know how much you enjoyed what is truly our busiest single day of the year - July 3. Our team works very hard to deliver the experiences and memories to our guests that you described - and your feedback inspires us even more. I'm happy you enjoyed your stay - and the fireworks! We are delighted to be the title sponsor for the event that is truly THE Independance Day celebration in the Vail Valley. I hope you will be back for the next one - and any time after that! Again, thank you so much for the great feedback!

USA
Reviewed 5 July 2010

My family and I stayed at the Westin in January 2009 (MLK weekend) and November 2009 (Thanksgiving). We had a studio in January and a two bedroom in November. We absolutely loved the additional space (i.e., full kitchen, washer/dryer, etc.). The rates in November were cheaper, but there were only a couple of greens and one black were open during that time.

The hotel is walking distance to a shopping center (a Walmart is about 4 miles away) so we were able to stock up on breakfast and snack items. The hotel is pet friendly. The valet and door men were always friendly and helpful. The housekeeping staff were accommodating when called for extra toiletries. Most importanly, I would definitely commend the ski valet. They were a group of internationals who were very pleasant to talk to. We especially enjoyed having the hot chocolate in the ski valet.

One of the highlights was the heated pool and three hot tubs overlooking the mountains. We also enjoyed a 5K Turkey Trot that the hotel sponsors annually on Thanksgiving Day. Avondale, the hotel's restaurant offers the best food in town!

We didn't mind that the hotel is not ski in/ski out There is a gondola outside the hotel that takes you directly to a blue slope (the gondola wasn't open in November, but opens in mid-December). There is also a complimentary shuttle that takes you to the village.

We absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Westin Riverfront and can't wait to return.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank BestTravelUSA
Dear BestTravelUSA,

Thank you for the great review! I was happy to read your comments regarding our resort during ski season - that special time of year where we truly are buzzing with the excitement winter in the Rockies brings. Based on your comments - it's great to see you'll be back! Our team strives to create personal and instinctive experiences for every guest - assuring each and every one leaves feeling completely renewed. It's great to receive your recognition, which inspires our team to work even harder to deliver these experiences. See you soon!

Taos, New Mexico
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Facility is very nice, beautiful rooms, well appointed kitchen, nice furniture as a new hotel should have.

Terrible front desk staff, very lacking in training and knowledge of resort. Kids allowed to play lacrosse in hallways, dogs barking, very much family oriented, loud and crowded. No management available to speak with when requested.

Poor housekeeping, out of date creamer, no restocking of coffee and amenities. Very difficult to call for valet or bell stand as all calls route through the guest request, usually a long wait or no answer, faster to go to the lobby.

Resort fee and mandatory valet fee plus taxes on same adds $40.00 a night to the rate quoted, in addition to sales tax of 13% or so.

If you are seeking 5 stars look up the mountain to Beaver Creek, this is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 2y2r2onot2
JABurrell, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 July 2010
2y2r2onot2,

Thank you very much for your valuable feedback. I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as we certainly intend to deliver to every guest. We will certainly utilize your observations in our ongoing training to assure our team is consistently focused on improving the delivery of exemplary service.

I would invite you to contact me directly to further discuss the details of your experience.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed 1 July 2010

From day one, this was the worst experience my husband and I have ever had at a hotel. We have traveled all over the world and stayed at many different types of properties, but this one take the cake, and not in a good way. When we checked in, they had a huge group of lacrosse players and their families, which were loud, rude, running up and down the halls, playing .lacrosse in every public area inside of the hotel and in the parking garage. We complained, they did absolutely nothing, telling us that they were checking out in a few days. Housekeeping was astonishing. They never refilled our coffee caddy, never replaced toilet paper (we ran out and had to call down to ask for some), they never replaced the dirty glasses in the bathroom, they left us with no washcloths, and never changed the sheets on our bed. When I asked a housekeeper for something, her reply was, "me no speak english." Also, the couches had dried food crusted on the pillows and there were dishes with dried food bits stuck to them. When we called the front desk, it would take forever to talk to a human being, it would continuously roll over. When we finally did speak to someone, they offered no apology and acted as if we were the jerks for asking for anything. I called down to the concierge desk to make a reservation for a restaurant last night, and the woman who answered said that her shift was ending and transfered me to a different concierge. The service level here is the worst I have ever seen as a traveler, the housekeeping is a joke, and when I called the spa to make an appointment, they told me that the professional who handled that service had to leave and they could not garauntee a service for me for the remainder of my stay. I had to go outside of the hotel and spend my money elsewhere. While my husband and I love dogs, it was not fun to have to constantly listen to barking dogs while trying to relax. I would never come back here, nor would I EVER recommend this atrocious property to a friend or family member. Terrible.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Worldtravelette
Worldtravelette,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your recent stay. Please accept my sincere apology that you did not have the personal and instinctive renewal that we strive to deliver to every guest. Your specific feedback regarding service deficiencies have been addressed with the individual department managers and will continue to be referenced as we train and re-train our staff in the delivery of exemplary service.

I would be welcome additional feedback and would invite you to contact me directly regarding your experience.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 June 2010

Things we liked about the Westin Riverfront:
1. Spacious room (2BRsuite).
2. Nice spa with good massages
3. Well appointed kitchen in suite
4. Good food in Avondale restaurant.
5. Nice hot tubs.

Things we didn't like:
1. We were billed twice for restaurant bill; check out clerks could not correct it
2. FEES! $15 daily for parking, $20 nightly "resort fee", 18% plus mystery service fees added to all spa services
3. BEDBUGS
4. Housekeeping propped our door open and left--we came back from a hike to find our room open.
5. Housekeeping did not restock towels, toileteries, or coffee. They did not clean the floors.
6. All calls for information, spa appointments, or service requests are routed through "Service connect" with long waits or no anwer 50% of the time.
7. Concierge service's primary goal is to get you to a timeshare presentation.
8. Front desk lines are long and slow. Problems couldn't be resolved
9. Resort is isolated in AVON, not Beaver Creek. Avon is a community of apartment complexes for resort workers, with few other services.
10. Still working to resolve double billing--accounting dept. only takes a message with a recorded message that they'll call you back. (I'm waiting, but contesting it through my credit card company)
11. Resort is struggling to define it's identity. Lobby was chaos with a wedding party intermingling with youth sports teams, tatooed locals in t-shirts yelling across everyone during their "FAC" drinking, and numerous dogs there with their owners.

Copper Mountain, Beaver Creek (the real Beaver Creek), Vail, Breckinridge, or Keystone have many better places to stay. As a Starwood "preferred" member, I can say this resort has a long way to go.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
5 Thank Alpinesta_Italiana
JABurrell, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 5 July 2010
Alpinesta_Italiana,

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback to our resort. I was disappointed to read of the service deficiencies you and your family experienced at our facility. What you described is far from what we strive to deliver to every guest and thankfully not the norm. I sincerely apologize that you did not experience the resort like the majority of our guests, who leave having had a great expereince. Your feedback has been addressed with the individual areas reasponsible and will continue to be referenced as we train and re-train our staff in the delivery of exemplary guest service.

Of particular concern to me is your mention of bedbugs. We take this issue very seriously and I can assure you that we take extreme measures to protect our guests, associates, and facility from exposure to these pests. While I do not wish to state you may have experienced insects in your room, I can feel extremely confident that bedbugs were not present. Our resort is sutuated on the banks of the Eagle River, and we are experiencing Trico Fly hatchings - these insects, which are very similar in appearance and behavior to the common gnat, are a vital part of the fragile ecosystem in which we reside. The flies do swarm at dusk and are attracted to light. We have experienced these insects finding their way into our guestrooms and public spaces. We make every effort to inform our guests to mitigate their intrusion, but unfortunately still have some that find their way in. Our aggressive pest management program, in conjunction with our inspection and training processes are intended to assure we remain a bedbug-free facility. While I certainly appreciate your feedback regarding your experience, I hope that your comments regarding your suspicion of the presence of bedbugs were simply referring to the insects I just described.

I would be happy to discuss your comments in detail and invite you to contact me directly. Thank you again for your gift of feedback. I can be reached directly via email at: jburrell@westinriverfrontavon.com.

Jeffery Burrell
Director of Operations, The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#3 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!