“Wonderful Fall getaway”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Avon
Placitas, New Mexico
“Wonderful Fall getaway”
Reviewed 13 November 2013

We managed to stay on the mountain view side, on a high floor in a villa. (The 34 or so villas are in a separate building from the main resort. I believe only Starwood timeshare owners may access them.) The views are unobstructed, and wonderful. The first snowfall in the mountains occurred during our stay. Beautiful. Beaver Creek, with shopping, skiing, and fine restaurants is nearby up the mountain.The river and walking/running/bike paths are just out the door on the mountain side of the resort. It seems everyone in the area is fit, buff, and active. Bring your workout gear. The spa is large and well-equipped. All in all, a great resort.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the village (North) side; there is ongoing construction nearby, and will be for many...
Green Features: Very good, except for the ever-present water bottle plague.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We agree the views are fantastic, and everything looks better in white!! There is currently a building being constructed on Benchmark Road, about 300 or 400 yards away from the north side of our building, directly across the street from the Avon Station Transit Center. The schedule we were given by the Town of Avon shows the project being completed in the fall of 2014. The good news is the work hours and their ability to make noise is limited by town ordinance, and the initial excavation work which created the most noise is very near complete at this time. Definitely bring the workout gear. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 10 November 2013 via mobile

This villa is very inviting and luxurious at the same time. Beautiful decor, suuuuuper comfy beds, warm spa lighting. My only complaints were that the coffee cups we're very small. Little bitty coffee cups are annoying. I also found the bath robes to be very stiff and itchy. It didn't stop me from wearing it all week. Just little changes that can easily be fixed. We booked another week while we were there so hopefully those little problems get fixed real quick :)

Stayed November 2013
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
We love to love the title you gave the review, and greatly appreciate the positive comments about the beautiful décor and super comfy bed. We also appreciate the feedback we can use to improve. Little things matter. Honestly, there are not any current plans to replace the coffee cups that are stocked in the kitchen, but we will gladly find bigger ones for you, just ask us when you arrive. Itchy robes can be fixed, we will work on that. We look forward to seeing you again! Thank you.
Wentzville Mo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

The villas are a wonderful property. Living room, dining, kitchen, bedroom and bath, all wonderfully decorated and clean lines. A special thanks to Michael, who after going to our room, decided I didn't want the ground floor, moved us with no complaint. We had great views on the Avon side, which we enjoyed on our private balcony. Walked to the bakery about a half a mile away and enjoyed breakfast out there. Ate dinner at The Lift, and it was just O.K. Everyone there tried to make us feel special and catered to our every need. Will return next year.

Room Tip: Both sides are good but P2 is ground floor, I woul We were on 4th floor. Construction across from...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, 13 November 2013
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience. Our associates work hard to deliver a memorable experience and we love it when we hear we achieved the goal. The Avon Bakery down the road is awesome. We recommend trying it for lunch as well, and the bagels, they don’t last much more than a day or two are worth bringing back the villa. We look forward to having you back. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 18 September 2013

As a Starwood timeshare owner, I have 2 issues with this particular Westin: lack of a view and lack of courtesy. First and foremost is that the villas appear to be added as almost an after thought. They're situated on the back of the main building where it takes you forever to get to and your 2 options are either facing the main road and town (not especially scenic), or facing Beaver Creek but directly looking through the gondola lines running, lengthwise across your view. If they were running, you'd have a non-stop stream of people staring in your windows all day. We went in early Sept and they were not running yet. However, even though they were not, there was a massive energy unit blowing non-stop directly to the left of the gondolas. It was loud and never shut off. It was like the scene from Blues Brothers in Elwood's apartment next to the L tracks. In addition, we specifically asked for a room off of the ground floor at the time of the reservation but that's what we got anyways. When we asked to be moved, even though it was early Sept and we hardly saw any other guests there except a few, they gave us some speech about how they couldn't change anything because the rooms were pre-assigned by Starwood for the owners. We called SPG. We called Starwood. Both of them denied that they pre-assigned the room. When we brought that information back to the front desk, they were unwilling to even tell us what was available or give us another option. Luckily, we only stayed there for 4 days. The Steamboat Springs, CO property is MUCH more desirable; better view; and MUCH better staff! Won't be back to this property again. Are the beds comfortable? Yes. Is the interior nice? Yes. But, if you are expecting Westin quality overall, this falls way short.

Room Tip: If you have to stay at the Westin, don't pick the Villas. Perhaps the hotel rooms are better. Th...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
WRFManagement, Manager at The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas, responded to this review, 24 September 2013
We try hard to deliver great service and so it is most disappointing to know we failed for you. We are very sorry. The Villas building is on the west side of the main Resort, just across and connected to the Gondola Plaza. Both buildings have very similar views, front facing north, and back facing south. The Riverfront Express Gondola usually begins service in mid-December and runs through season closing either late March or early April. We have never had a complaint that riders could see inside a Villa, it might be possible in a few of the units, frankly we are not sure. The information you were given about villa location assignment is correct. These are assigned by the Owner Services Team in Orlando based on the time stamp of the reservation, first reserved is first assigned, and owner stays get priority over rental or point stays. Home Resort Owners can book 365 days in advance, and from our experience, usually do so they can better the chances of the preferred view. We assume all our guests want the Eagle River view as high up as possible. Because view is in such demand and because we want to ensure the integrity of the process, we do not allow the associates at the front desk to make changes to villa location/view. As I am sure you can understand if we did allow them to make changes we might as well not have a process. While it may have seemed the building was not busy, we were near full almost every day throughout the month of September. Of course, if you choose to change your mind, we would welcome you back. Thank you.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This was my first visit to these villas, and I used my Starwood ownership at another resort to reserve a studio here over Labor Day week. I requested a unit facing the river and was given exactly that on a low floor, P1 (Parking1). While I could catch a tiny peek of the river from my villa, the amount of greenery, mountains, blue skies and puffy white clouds was beautiful and exactly what I needed. Being on P1 actually worked out well with easy access to my car and the chance to cut across the parking garage to the fitness center and pool at the Westin hotel next door. My room was very well-appointed and maintained, and they really thought of the little details that would make guests comfortable including humidifer units in the room...dry mountain air, you know!

The location can't be beat, right at the base of Beaver Creek mountain, not far from I-70 and right on the bike path that runs through all the neighboring communities. It was a great jumping off point for bike rides and hikes on paths and mountains nearby. Yes, I heard that giant fan from near the gondolas every time I went out on my balcony (definitely annoying) and it did stop me from sitting outside a lot....that and the fact that the people below me were outside smoking on their patio despite Westin's smoking ban. Thankfully, the Westin did a great job with sound insulation of the glass and I couldn't really hear the fan while in my villa.

Overall, I found the villa and the property to be luxurious and relaxing, and I will definitely be back next year for a villa stay!

However, personally I would not want to stay in the Westin hotel next door due to the high number of dogs present within it. Three of them had a loud, vicious, bloody dogfight right in front of me at the check-in desk in the lobby, and while I love dogs, I don't want to see them fighting or hear them barking in the room next door while I'm on vacation relaxing...I get enough of that at home!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank KozyKritter
Mercer Island, Washington
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This hotel is gorgeous, with a great staff and lovely fitness center. They give you a smores kit for use in the evenings around the fire. This is a great place for kids! I had some problems with the altitude and didn't sleep well, but it was not the fault of the hotel. The rooms were elegant and the village area was really nice. We went hiking and the altitude was a bit much for me even though I am an experienced hiker.Most people take the lift up and hike down. Don't miss the Green Pork Chilli (Colorado style) at the cafe in the village. Really great!

Room Tip: One thing is that food is quite expensive. We ate at the hotel and an Egg Muffin type thing was more...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Kathryn T
Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed 9 August 2013

As owners of the Westin Riverfront Mountain Villa timeshare property, we have never been disappointed while staying here in the Beaver Creek area! Plenty of Cool weather, a relief from the Texas heat, friendly staff, beautiful mountains to enjoy and tons of fun activities to join in while in the area! We always look forward to getting to our property and 'cry' when we have to return home! The Villas are beautiful and we love sitting on our balcony relaxing and listening to the bubbling streams below!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Sebastian - Vail
Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa

Been to The Westin Riverfront Mountain Villas? Share your experiences!