“Why reinvent the wheel??”

Northside Coffee Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Northside Coffee Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 44 Restaurants in Avon
Cuisines: American, Cafe
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Avon, Colorado
“Why reinvent the wheel??”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Northside is trying to reinvent the wheel. Why not use table numbers? Why make your patron order at two different spots? Why do I have to go pick up my takeout and bag it myself?

The food is decent, but very inconsistent. The seared tuna sandwich is all over the map. One day it's thick and rare, the way it should be. The next it's overcooked and thin like a tuna fish sandwich. And, you can't order it rare without getting an attitude from the cashier.

That's not the worst part. This is, and now we don't go anymore. My wife wanted a burger and a bloody mary on a Sunday morning. I wanted a burger and a beer, but not one of the few on the burger side. So, their solution? Make us wait in TWO LINES. You can't order a bloody mary or all beers on the one side, so you have to go to the end of the other line just to order your drink. This is terrible for your GUESTS! Also, we were with another couple who decided to get sandwiches on the other side. So, they waited in that line. Then, we decided to sit on the side w/ sandwiches, not burgers. Being that there are no table numbers or workers to run the food and they make the guests do the work, we had to stand on the other side watching for our burgers, while our table is on the other side and our drink that we waited in two lines for sits on the table. So, the first fifteen minutes of your dining experience is waiting in two lines, watching for and running your own food, all while PAYING for food.

Lastly, we ordered take-out once and had to wait in line to pay (which is what we were trying to avoid), then we had to go get our own food from the counter next to the kitchen, then we had to ask the cook to unwrap so we knew which of the take out sandwiches are ours, and then bag our own take out.

On the waiting and ordering, why not make everything available on each side? Why not use table numbers so your guests can relax with their company and chat? Why not bag take out or have a take out register?

Keep it simple.

• Visited September 2013
2 Thank dannymur2002

Greeley, Colorado
“Eggs were horrible!”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We met my son at the Northside Coffee Kitchen for breakfast on Sunday. The place was very busy. I ordered the yokel with scrambled eggs. Im not sure what they added to the eggs but they were so salty and awful, I couldn't even eat them. I just ate the bacon. My husband and son had their breakfast burritos and said they were good, guess I should have gone with that or the pancakes. Not crazy about having to get up and stand in line for your order and also get more coffee. I most likely will not eat there again.

1 Thank Carolyn S
Vail, CO
“Thank you, but no, thank you, Northside”
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Going to brunch at Northside was very disappointing.
I haven't been since the renovation, being that I've always gone elsewhere for breakfast/brunch because of past experiences with long waits and crowds. Not much has changed as I had experienced today.
Over thirty dollars for two people to have brunch is a bit much when:
1) you wait to order with the cashier even when it's sit-down, not order out (mind you it is just as much as a wait as it was pre-renovation).
2) you have to go and get your food, silverware, water, etc and they encourage you to clean up after you eat - I'd rather stay at home to do that.
3) the food is cold when you pick it up as soon as they call your name - more specifically on the food besides being cold was not worth the price: I have never had eggs benedict with slices of wheat toast which were horribly soggy underneath too much ham and tiny overcooked eggs;
4) you try to enjoy your meal but they have so many people yelling names, running behind the bar and at least three televisions on it kills the atmosphere (one particular "barista", I use that title loosely, thought it best to put on American football than to properly serve drink orders - watching him having difficulties with the pour-over coffee filters, makes you wonder if the person receiving that drink likes that crunchy bottom layer of grinds - thank God another barista made mine). Why are there TV's playing the sports channel? Last time I checked I was having brunch at a "coffee kitchen" not a sports bar.. I can go to Bobs if I want that..

The service, picking your food up and cleaning up after yourself, I understand, but do not charge the same price for disappointing food and lack of service. I know places in Beaver Creek and another two restaurants in Edwards, where I pay the same price, even less, for better food and have waiter service. To give some credit.. I believe their pour-over coffee when done by the female baristas is the best coffee in the valley, but with all the prior disappointments, it's not worth it to spend the time and money just on a cup of coffee which takes a while to receive because the "barista dude" is slowing everyone down by watching American gridiron.

Thank you, but no, thank you, Northside Coffee and Kitchen.

1 Thank VailValleyReview
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Northside just okay, but don't miss Benderz Burgers”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stopped for a Sunday lunch at Northside and could hardly find a table. We sat on the side where Benderz Burgers has a counter. I ordered there and got a great burger with a ton of fries at a very low price. Loved it. My husband and son ordered at the Northside counter and we waited, and waited, and waited for their food. I was done eating by the time my husband gave up waiting to pick up the food and came to sit at the table. A manager came by with a few plates of food and asked if they were ours and we said no, but we let him know that we had waited over 20 minutes for a Belgian waffle and a roast beef sandwich so if he saw those items to let us know as we had given up standing around the pickup counter. About five minutes later he did bring the food out to us, then he also brought us four gooey donuts as a consolation gesture. Next time we all order at Benderz!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Libby_travels_alot
Lake Powell, AZ USA
“Super Good Burgers”
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

We had the Benderz Burgerz and they were delicious. Don't look for atmosphere, just good, down-home burgers.