“Classy, comfortable, with character”

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Read this one I know what I am talking about :-) I stayed a week here around 4th of July. I loved this hotel. Rarely do you see hotels with this much comfortable common space. There are groupings of chairs, fireplaces, and separate lobby rooms, including a library and billiard room. A person can just lounge in many areas including outside. It is a perfect location for direct access to both Beaver Creek village and the wilderness ski area. Huge lobby windows with great views of the mountains. Oh, and one of the few places to stay in Beaver Creek area with A/C for the summer!

The room was very nice, first class. And the bed was one of the best I have ever tried. The place has a distinct mountain lodge feel (and smell) that is charming and comfortable. The spa is excellent, although I have seen better (check out Ritz in Bachelor Gulch).

My only complaint was the shortage of staff in the restaurant. They explained that it is hard to get staffing right during the summer, especially for just a few days around July 4th when it seems every person in Denver comes up. But I see another frequent reviewer has had this same experience. To their credit, when I pointed out a problem, management handled it promptly and courteously. Impressive

I have completed extended stays in Beaver Creek several summers, and there are many nice places to stay. But this is one of the best if you are looking for a comfortable high end hotel experience. Overall this picky traveler says - great hotel, and I will be back! Thanks Hyatt

• Stayed: July 2009

Reviewed 7 July 2009

When you walk into the lobby it is a little deceiving. Take the elevator up to your room and you'll know what I mean. Nothing in the rooms match - the pictures, carpet, drapes, bedding, wallpaper, furniture - nothing! I was really disappointed because I had heard from friends that this was a great hotel. Yes, maybe at one time but not now. The location is great, but rooms are in serious need of remodeling. Also, be careful going in and out of the elevators. The bellman and hotel staff run in and out of the elevators and almost knocked me over a few times. I have stayed a 5 star hotels before, and I would give the Park Hyatt BC 3 stars.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2009

We stayed 3 days during the "mud season" at the end of April. The rate was around $100 and upgrades are available. This is a great time to be in the area if you're not a skier, which we're not. Our room can go for a grand a night during ski season. The place was very quiet, staff friendly, and just generally relaxing. The fitness center is loaded with high quality equipment and the locker rooms have a steam room and a sauna. The room looked out over the ski slopes and was clean and well appointed. Note that a coffee pot in the room is by request. The restaurant was empty, but the service was good. The food was fair, but they had a discounted price. I'd eat at Vin 48 - but that's another review. All in all - a very nice, relaxing stay in a high quality resort for a great price - how can you beat it? One annoyance was the "resort fee" and valet parking fee. Although discounted, this trend in the industry needs to stop! However, that's the only complaint. I have no idea what it's like in other months, but I would stay here again offseason. Another perk - most restaurants are offering 30-50% off their menus including booze!

Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We stayed at the park hyatt the first week of April for spring skiing. First of all we were very lucky with the wheather. The first two days we had snow and then five days of sun. But most of all the hotel is fantastic. The location is really unbeatable. It is right at the start of the gondola and more important it is right at the ski school. We have two children, both doing the ski and snow board school. We also did the adult ski school, so it was fantastic to have a hotel next to the school. The service is very good. Rooms are very quit. Did not hear a thing and we all slept very well. The restaurant is ok, but indeed pricy. There are many more other restaurants to go to in Beaver Creek, Vail and Edwards. Ask the concierge who is very helpfull and gave good advice. The only negative point here is that the concierge leaves at 6pm, just when you need them. Overall a very good hotel, the location is just perfect. If you are skiing with children, it is the best.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Ok, it's expensive, but it's mindblowingly good from top to bottom. If you can bring yourself to pay what it'll set you back, you won't be disappointed. From service to amenities, to say nothing of location, it's unbeatable for Beaver Creek.

I had a total, in 5 days, of one minor service hiccup. Beyond that, it was, essentially, perfect.

Worth forking out for, no doubt.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank FellowTraveller2009
Reviewed 28 March 2009

This is our second time staying here in the past 5 years. The location is ideal for skiing and walking around town. The renovations of the lobby and main restaurant look good, but they hadn't renovated our room, which was a disappointment, although it was fine, just not worthy of the $500+ per night price. The new restaurant 8100 ... was good, but not great - I wouldn't go back (pricey for mediocre food). Loved the outdoor hottubs, apres ski music, and smores. Lots of kids everywhere, since it was a kids festival weekend in Beaver Creek.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 January 2009

My husband and I just returned from a great trip to Beaver Creek, and the Park Hyatt exceeded my expectations in every way. We are in our early 30's, don't have kids and were looking for somewhat of a romantic ski getaway. We stayed at the Park Hyatt from Jan. 16-20 (which was MLK weekend). We received a discounted AAA rate by booking directly through the hotel, which also included complimentary breakfast each morning. I thought the rate was a great value for the high season, and equivalent to (or actually less than) many other Beaver Creek properties that were not as conveniently located.

Reading some of the other reviews, I had some concerns about picking this hotel. I expected the rooms to be blah, service to be bad, and the hotel to be overrun by kids. Not that I mind kids...I would actually expect to see them at any ski resort...but the prior reviews conjured up images of unsupervised kids running up and down the halls screaming at all hours of the night, doing cannon-balls in the hot tubs, etc. None of my prior concerns turned out to be an issue...in fact, we found the hotel to be the complete opposite. Our room was great, the people working at the hotel couldn't have been friendlier, and the kids at the hotel were remarkably well-behaved. And if you're worried about finding a private hot tub, there are six of them so the odds are pretty good. One is even marked "adults only". We used the hot tubs every night and always had one to ourselves.

When we arrived at the front desk, we were informed that we were being upgraded to a suite on the first floor. This came a quite a surprise, especially given the fact that we were only paying the discounted AAA rate and I expected the hotel to be fairly booked up as a result of the holiday weekend. The suite was fantastic (room 1059). It had obviously been part of the recent remodel and everything in the room looked brand new. The suite was huge, with a large-living area, two flat screen TVs, large bathroom with double sinks, large shower stall and separate jacuzzi tub and kitchenette with microwave, mini-fridge, sink and dishes. The only thing the room didn't have was a fireplace, but we couldn't complain. It was so great in every other way. It also had floor-to-ceiling windows that looked out on the skating rink below. And it's location within the hotel was great - just steps to the lobby, but down a private hallway behind two double-doors so very quiet. The only problem some folks might have is that the skating rink outside has disco skate nights a couple nights a week and you can definitely hear the music in the room. But I didn't mind because I like disco music and it only goes from 6-8 p.m. anyway.

We found the service at the hotel to be great. Everyone there was very friendly and helpful - from the front desk, to the restaurant, to the ski valet. The folks at the front desk spent a lot of time talking to us the first night and helping us navigate the village. The waitstaff in the restaurant was not only very attentive, but also came by to ask if we had questions about the mountain, etc. And, as others have said, the ski valet guys are really great. We rented our equipment from Gorsuch rentals, which is right downstairs from the hotel, and they coordinate directly with the ski valet so that you don't need to carry your skis to and from the rental place.

We did the breakfast buffet each morning because it was included with our rate. The buffet had a good variety of things, but it is a bit overpriced in my opinion ($30 per person) so we probably would not have eaten there if it wasn't included in the rate. Then again, we're not big breakfast eaters - perhaps if I ate more than a bowl of cereal and some fruit from the buffet, I'd feel like I was getting my money's worth. As an alternative to the buffet, the hotel also has a cafe that sells cereal, muffins, fruit, etc. - it's also expensive, but at least you're paying a la carte.

I mention location last only because everyone else has covered it. The location truly cannot be beat - just walk out the door and the lift is right there. Also, the hotel is sort of the hub of the ski scene in Beaver Creek - everyone hangs out there in between and after skiing. There is a lot of seating outdoors - we had some unseasonably warm weather while we were there so lots of people took advantage of the outdoor seating. The lobby is also a great place to hang out and keep warm by the fire while watching skiers come down the slopes through the floor-to-ceiling windows.

I also used the spa at the hotel and found it to be very nice. I had a great massage there...one of the best ever (and I'm a bit of a spa junkie). They also have a series of pools there that you can use (each is infused with a different flower/mineral) - it sounded cool, but I didn't do it because I hadn't brought my bathing suit with me. I did use the steam room though, which was very nice (it's infused with juniper, which is supposed to relieve sore muscles).

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#9 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!