“Off-Season Gem, Just Stay Away From The Restaurants”

Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Off-Season Gem, Just Stay Away From The Restaurants”
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We stayed here for a few nights during the offseason in May, and overall I was blown away by the high level of service, the finely appointed rooms, and just about everything overall. Top notch.

I’m giving the place the top rating with two caveats. 1) We were here when the rates were something like $150 a night – a fantastic rate. If we had stayed during ski season when the prices are at least three times that much, I would be less enthusiastic about the hotel. 2) While the hotel was smart about pricing the rooms when Beaver Creek is a ghost town, the restaurants were still incredibly overpriced. I’m talking a simple two egg breakfast for over $20. Take a five minute walk down to the Beaver Creek Lodge and have breakfast at Rocks for a fraction of the price and three times the selection / deliciousness.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sinaasappelsap

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
Northern California
Reviewed 20 July 2009

I have stayed at this hotel several times, two of which were within the past few months. It had been several years since my last visit and I was pleased to find some nice changes. First of all, the bar in the lobby has been removed and replaced with large, comfy chairs for relaxing by the fire. Although the bar was nice, it did get crowded and often rowdy when kids were present. The redesign has allowed for more seating area to sit and enjoy the beauty of the lobby or the mountains through the large windows. The gym is large and filled with top of the line equipment. There are five jacuzzis, one of which is just for adults. The room we had was very large and nicely equipped. Each room comes with amenities from the spa and they are of a very high quality. The rooms have very large closets with double doors. Plenty of storage room in the closet and dresser drawers in the room. This is very handy, especially in the winter when packing light is a bit harder to do. The beds are very comfortable and the towels and linens are of a very high quality. The location of the hotel is right at the base of the mountain and smack dab in the middle of the village. Plenty of restaurants and shops so having to leave the area is not necessary. Self parking is not available. The valet is an additional charge, but they are very pleasant and quick to return with your vehicle. They are also a wealth of information about places to go and things to do, including great recommendations about restaurants.

After all the positives, I do have one chief complaint. The restaurant staff during breakfast is close to the worst that I have ever encountered. We stayed for five days and the service got progressively worse each day. By the last day, we were seated in a section that never had a waitress address us or bring us drinks. Mind you, we at the buffet so delivering food was not required, however, we never even got coffee or water. We finally had to grab a passing waitress to ask for drinks. The 8100 Restaurant has coffee pots and hot water as you enter, however, on all the days, the coffee was either cold or empty. Each day, the service was slow, not friendly, and it appeared as though we were an inconvenience. Keep in mind, if the restaurant was packed, I could maybe understand the slow service, however, this was not the case. There was an abundant number of wait staff, in addition to what appeared to be management. We had wanted to have a lunch or dinner at the 8100, however, the breakfast impression was too much to overcome. We were not inclined to spend a large sum of money on dinner based upon the level of service and food quality that was experienced at breakfast. This just supports my theory that hotel food, no matter how nice the hotel is, it is just not worth it. There are many other restaurants in the village or in the Beaver Creek/Vail area that will give you a much better value and level of food and service.

I would however, recommend this hotel. The location and amenities cannot be beat.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank hulahunny
Austin, TX
Reviewed 9 July 2009

Read this one I know what I am talking about :-) I stayed a week here around 4th of July. I loved this hotel. Rarely do you see hotels with this much comfortable common space. There are groupings of chairs, fireplaces, and separate lobby rooms, including a library and billiard room. A person can just lounge in many areas including outside. It is a perfect location for direct access to both Beaver Creek village and the wilderness ski area. Huge lobby windows with great views of the mountains. Oh, and one of the few places to stay in Beaver Creek area with A/C for the summer!

The room was very nice, first class. And the bed was one of the best I have ever tried. The place has a distinct mountain lodge feel (and smell) that is charming and comfortable. The spa is excellent, although I have seen better (check out Ritz in Bachelor Gulch).

My only complaint was the shortage of staff in the restaurant. They explained that it is hard to get staffing right during the summer, especially for just a few days around July 4th when it seems every person in Denver comes up. But I see another frequent reviewer has had this same experience. To their credit, when I pointed out a problem, management handled it promptly and courteously. Impressive

I have completed extended stays in Beaver Creek several summers, and there are many nice places to stay. But this is one of the best if you are looking for a comfortable high end hotel experience. Overall this picky traveler says - great hotel, and I will be back! Thanks Hyatt

• Stayed July 2009
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 July 2009

When you walk into the lobby it is a little deceiving. Take the elevator up to your room and you'll know what I mean. Nothing in the rooms match - the pictures, carpet, drapes, bedding, wallpaper, furniture - nothing! I was really disappointed because I had heard from friends that this was a great hotel. Yes, maybe at one time but not now. The location is great, but rooms are in serious need of remodeling. Also, be careful going in and out of the elevators. The bellman and hotel staff run in and out of the elevators and almost knocked me over a few times. I have stayed a 5 star hotels before, and I would give the Park Hyatt BC 3 stars.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Sarasota, FL
Reviewed 28 April 2009

We stayed 3 days during the "mud season" at the end of April. The rate was around $100 and upgrades are available. This is a great time to be in the area if you're not a skier, which we're not. Our room can go for a grand a night during ski season. The place was very quiet, staff friendly, and just generally relaxing. The fitness center is loaded with high quality equipment and the locker rooms have a steam room and a sauna. The room looked out over the ski slopes and was clean and well appointed. Note that a coffee pot in the room is by request. The restaurant was empty, but the service was good. The food was fair, but they had a discounted price. I'd eat at Vin 48 - but that's another review. All in all - a very nice, relaxing stay in a high quality resort for a great price - how can you beat it? One annoyance was the "resort fee" and valet parking fee. Although discounted, this trend in the industry needs to stop! However, that's the only complaint. I have no idea what it's like in other months, but I would stay here again offseason. Another perk - most restaurants are offering 30-50% off their menus including booze!

Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
New York
Reviewed 17 April 2009

We stayed at the park hyatt the first week of April for spring skiing. First of all we were very lucky with the wheather. The first two days we had snow and then five days of sun. But most of all the hotel is fantastic. The location is really unbeatable. It is right at the start of the gondola and more important it is right at the ski school. We have two children, both doing the ski and snow board school. We also did the adult ski school, so it was fantastic to have a hotel next to the school. The service is very good. Rooms are very quit. Did not hear a thing and we all slept very well. The restaurant is ok, but indeed pricy. There are many more other restaurants to go to in Beaver Creek, Vail and Edwards. Ask the concierge who is very helpfull and gave good advice. The only negative point here is that the concierge leaves at 6pm, just when you need them. Overall a very good hotel, the location is just perfect. If you are skiing with children, it is the best.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Sydney
Reviewed 31 March 2009

Ok, it's expensive, but it's mindblowingly good from top to bottom. If you can bring yourself to pay what it'll set you back, you won't be disappointed. From service to amenities, to say nothing of location, it's unbeatable for Beaver Creek.

I had a total, in 5 days, of one minor service hiccup. Beyond that, it was, essentially, perfect.

Worth forking out for, no doubt.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank FellowTraveller2009
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
The Sebastian - Vail
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek

Been to Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!