“Good vibe, creative food,local and trendy”

Boxcar Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Boxcar Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 46 Restaurants in Avon
Price range: US$25 - US$100
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Modern and Casual, very comfortable
Millburn, New Jersey
“Good vibe, creative food,local and trendy”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Had a fun time in this new open kitchen, friendly, energetic restaurant. The menu items are creative and our server had much personality as he welcomed us and described the must have items to share. This fun happening spot is best earlier in the evening as we felt a bit rushed as it got closer to 9:30...tasty menu items included cauliflower and olive and nut combo. Burgers looked good- though we saw a woman send her back. Enjoyed veggie options and healthy chicken/fish choices. Loved the desserts too- nutella brownie and the bread pudding were awesome. Would def return to the Boxcar. Specialty cocktails were quite good with fresh herbs.

• Visited August 2014

“Too trendy”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

Good food but the menu was a little hard to decipher. Every dish and ingredient had a creative name rather than just saying what it is on the menu. When we asked the waitress to elaborate on the meaning of some of the menu descriptions, she gave a half-hearted attempt at an explanation. In addition, the restaurant is noisy so it was hard to hear her. Several in our party had the burger and it was good. I had goat cheese and the carrots. They were really good.
We enjoy many new farm to table restaurants but this would not be one I recommend, mainly because of it's aire of uber trendiness and uber costline$$ and über noisiness.

1 Thank 326reneew
“Cute restaurant with great food.”
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

My husband and I ate at Boxcar for dinner and enjoyed our meal. I liked the decor and how open the kitchen was to the dining room. I ordered the pork belly dish (I can't remember the name) and it was very good. My husband got the larger duck dish and loved it. Service was great. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.

Vail, Colorado, United States
“Some of the best food in Avon in a hidden corner ”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

First i will say we will be back, but not as often as we would like due to the higher prices. The prices might be offset by the quality and portions but it is still hard to justify spending that much money often. The atmosphere was really enjoyable and the kind of place you want to hang out any time of year. They even have a nice patio but it doesn't look like it's ever used. The staff is most friendly and generally attentive although our waitress wasn't really paying attention to what we were saying. Wasn't an issue as everything turned out fine she was just not a good listener. Beer selection was excellent but pours were a bit small for the more expensive beers. We spent $100 for 5 drinks, one small plate and two snack plates and dessert. Plenty full. The bread pudding was to die for and I am drooling thinking about it. We will return but look forward to some off season specials.

NYC
“Best meal of our trip”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As a foodie and a culinary professional, I take dining pretty seriously!
The Boxcar was wonderful and I hope that it becomes a trailblazer for the area's restaurants.
If you want a meal that's delicious, along with a reasonable wine list and creative cocktails, I highly recommend The Boxcar.

The food is contemporary and chef-driven - meaning that the ingredients are conscientiously sourced, flavors are fresh, thoughtfully considered and paired, and the dishes are well-executed.

The kitchen was very accommodating of special diet requests and the chefs took an active interest in the diners, watching the room from their open kitchen and greeting tables when timing allowed.

I expect the menu will change with the seasons, but I recommend the gougeres, pasta with sweet corn, tomatoes & crispy pork, and the cauliflower.

The space is lovely and airy, but can get very loud when large parties are having an especially good time.

• Visited July 2014