“Luxurious accommodations in surprising place”
Review of Kuriftu Resort

Kuriftu Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Bishoftu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here during a conference I conducted in Debre Zeyit. It was lovely, relaxing, somewhat exotic, in an otherwise desperately poor town. We had breakfast and dinner here each day, and it didn't disappoint. I love the fresh fish in the evening, which I was told came out of the lake on the property. No, I couldn't get internet. No my mobile phone didn't work. But I was able to do the work I needed to get done, which is really what my trip was all about.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Nice rooms and property is good for Ethiopian standards and the spa is OK. Poor service and average food, the only thing consistent about kuriftu is that the answer to every question is "sorry we don't have". The place also stinks of food, the pool is cloudy, beds are hard and the tennis court is not maintained. For the rates charged, Kuriftu does not make the grade.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Evaluis
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We've stayed at this hotel during an office retreat. The view is breathtaking, the accommodation is fairly good although rooms were extremely humid due to lack of proper ventilation and the food was excellent.

If you have a business trip, be aware that there is no internet connection in the hotel, although hotel staff will tell you the opposite and of course roaming is not working in Ethiopia.

Rule of thumb, check your bills before you leave, billing mistakes are recurrent, and if you discover it late - like in my case - you wont be able to get it back despite the numerous emails and phone calls.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank HopeMHappy
Reviewed 12 October 2013

We spent 2 days here and they were absolutely wonderful. The food, views and massage service were great but overall the service was not consistent. We had to ask for extra bathrobe twice (we got one for two people) it came a day later and when we asked for someone to light the fire place twice....the person never came. People here are friendly and they either are extra attentive or just ignore you. I would go again but with reduced expectations. For UN staff they give membership discount which is great and the kayaking option was the highlight of our trip - so serene!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 September 2013

I went to Kuriftu for a 4 day stay originally, but I loved it so much I stayed for 17 days. I have been in Ethiopia for 6 weeks this summer for my son's adoption. This resort is not only in a gorgeous natural surrounding with amazing rooms, spectacular views, and wonderful amenities (love the spa & restaurant), but it has the most gracious and hospitable staff in Ethiopia. The staff went above and beyond to make my staff wonderful. The chef took me shopping to find the right food for my baby, the staff held my toddler son so I could eat my delicious meals and Salem, one staff member, even took care of my son so I could enjoy the massages. I am a jaded world traveler having been to nearly 50 countries and I take about 15 to 20 trips per year- I can say that this resort experience will remain as the best hospitality I have ever received. Thank you Kuriftu for making my trip to Ethiopia wonderful.

Room Tip: I love the new buildings- the upstairs terrace rooms have amazing views.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 August 2013

together with my mom, my aunt and her two daughters we went to kuriftu for a day. we had lunch and then went to the sauna/steam. we enjoyed both the sauna and steam. but the problem was with one shower (out of three) which gave us electric shocks as we tried to turn the knob. we reported the situation to a lady who was working there and she told us that she has already reported the situation to someone. we some how managed to finish and went back home the same day. the same night and the next day we were sick. we figured that the food was really really bad.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank eDDSSo
Reviewed 28 July 2013

Ethiopia is beautiful and so are the people. They work so hard and have so little that we felt guilty for staying here. While very few Ethiopians can afford staying here, Kuriftu sets the bar high for what's possible. The huts are clean and spacious, the food is fresh and delicious, and the service is exceptional. For the cost of a 2 star motel in the US you can have a 5 star experience here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Laura W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishoftu
La Residence Hotel & Spa
Babogaya Lake Viewpoint Lodge
Asham Africa Hotel
Asham Africa Hotel
#3 of 11 in Bishoftu

Been to Kuriftu Resort? Share your experiences!