“A delightful and relaxed interlude”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Debre Zeyit
Kuriftu Resort & Spa Debre Zeyit
Ranked #2 of 10 Debre Zeyit B&B and Inns
New Delhi, India
“A delightful and relaxed interlude”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My week at the Kuriftu resort (the venue for a reflection workshop that I was facilitating) was one of the most delightful interludes in my calendar which is packed with work-related travel. It's not often that I actually feel relaxed while working - but Kuriftu had everything that it takes to allow me let go of my stress and just go with the flow.

The gorgeously laid-out gardens (how did they achiev that green in just seven years?); the luxurious rooms with flower-strewn beds, spectacular traditional bamboo ceilings and ethnic-looking leather furniture; the spa with world-class massages and treatments on the house; the serene lake with its amazing variety of bird life (pelicans, weaver birds, kingfishers, cormorants and many more that I could not identify); the courteous and welcoming staff - everything was designed to charm. It worked - I was charmed.

I've seen some comments from earlier reviewers about poor service - my experience doesn't bear this out. Every request was courteously and smoothly handled - I asked for and got a change of room (because of a plumbing problem), endless printouts and xeroxes, extra towels, fruit - even a basket of breadcrumbs to feed the birds. Most of the housekeeping staff don't speak English so this might be a problem - but the staff at the front desk are very responsive and helpful. And everyone goes out of their way to be helpful.

I do have a couple of complaints though.

First, the rather boring vegetarian options on the set menu, which has all of three options (two kinds of pasta and Ethiopian fasting food which is not exciting after the first three days). The buffet lunches and dinners were great though - lots of vegetables and salads, and the desserts are divine.

Second, the absence of a telephone and poor wireless connectivity in the new rooms.

Third, the electricals - the bedside lamp is to feeble to read by and there are no convenient power outlets - I had to crawl behind a heavy piece of furniture and wrestle with the TV plug to pull it out and charge my laptop and phone.

But these are minor problems that bothered me only because I was working - I wouldn't even notuice them if I was on a holiday at Kuriftu.

One more thing that is a cause for complaint is the absence of a walking path around the lake - although there is a little jetty with kayaks on offer, I kept dreaming of an early-morning walk around the tranquil waters.

All in all, a destination that I would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: The new rooms are bigger and nicer than the old ones, but are a short walk away (down an unpaved cou...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Arabic first
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 1 April 2014

Kuriftu is a nice resort, the view and scenery is good. The hotel is currently under expansion and the new rooms are 5 minutes rough road away. No Shuttle and it's dusty to walk on foot. The rooms are good, but the lighting is not adjustable and almost dark. I found the service very poor. To start from the room, we was promised a lake view room upon reservation, but I found out it actually is not!!! There is no telephone in the room and you have to call by your own mobile phone to access room service. The fare for 1 night is $100, a package deal with breakfast, movie theater, massage, spa services, kayaking and sporting services. But when you ask to use the services, all you find is either you have to wait long queue or that it's not working. We asked for the movie theater for example and were told that the overhead projector is occupied with a meeting, Shame!!! The package included breakfast and guess what, we were 5 minutes late for the breakfast since we need to travel on foot to the old resort to get the service and were told that breakfast time is up and we need to pay to get the service. This is a REAL SHAME for a resort of this standard. Very poor customer service all in all and compared to kuriftu, the new neighboring Liesak Resort (http://liesakresort.com/) on lake babogaya is much better with great customer care and value for money.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wonde b
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I stayed in Kuriftu for a corporate retreat which lasted about a week.

Gorgeous natural surrounding, great food and exceptional service.

Spa facilities were also very clean and easy to access. Relaxation at its best!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank M Y
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Spa Resort !!! Firstly, the swimming pool, is ICE cold, has green slime and is very unhygienic. The only swimming pool that I know of in the world that you cannot enjoy a drink next to (not allowed). There is also a LOUD extractor fan constantly going from the kitchen. Most guests avoid the pool. Actually, there are only 6 sunbeds to accommodate several hundred guests !!

The cinema does NOT work. The lake is full of algae and cannot be used for swimming or bathing. The "health Spa" is old fashioned and not very good. The steam room is always the wrong temperature and not really useable.

The Jacuzzi is not cleaned out and very dirty. For a resort that can accommodate several hundred guests, the one 5 man Jacuzzi is ridiculous !! The staff (when you can find them), do not know how to operate it, and you have to put up with the dreadful loud kitchen extractor AGAIN.

Customer service is very POOR and there is a severe LACK of places to relax in the sun.

Room Tip: The rooms nearer to the exit, will enable you to get a taxi home a bit quicker !
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Richydev
Atlanta
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I stayed here during a conference I conducted in Debre Zeyit. It was lovely, relaxing, somewhat exotic, in an otherwise desperately poor town. We had breakfast and dinner here each day, and it didn't disappoint. I love the fresh fish in the evening, which I was told came out of the lake on the property. No, I couldn't get internet. No my mobile phone didn't work. But I was able to do the work I needed to get done, which is really what my trip was all about.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Nice rooms and property is good for Ethiopian standards and the spa is OK. Poor service and average food, the only thing consistent about kuriftu is that the answer to every question is "sorry we don't have". The place also stinks of food, the pool is cloudy, beds are hard and the tennis court is not maintained. For the rates charged, Kuriftu does not make the grade.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Evaluis
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We've stayed at this hotel during an office retreat. The view is breathtaking, the accommodation is fairly good although rooms were extremely humid due to lack of proper ventilation and the food was excellent.

If you have a business trip, be aware that there is no internet connection in the hotel, although hotel staff will tell you the opposite and of course roaming is not working in Ethiopia.

Rule of thumb, check your bills before you leave, billing mistakes are recurrent, and if you discover it late - like in my case - you wont be able to get it back despite the numerous emails and phone calls.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Jupiter International Hotel - Bole
Pyramid Resort & Spa
Pyramid Resort & Spa
#1 of 10 in Debre Zeyit

Been to Kuriftu Resort & Spa Debre Zeyit? Share your experiences!