“relaxation heaven, service could be improved”
Review of Kuriftu Resort

Kuriftu Resort
Ranked #2 of 14 Bishoftu B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 June 2014

went on a weekend gateaway with my husband just last week. The hotel has an old wing is on close proximity to all the amenities but the new wing has more gorgeous rooms (in my opinion). We stayed in the new wing because the new wing was fully booked. On our cooperate rate, we paid $99 at the old wing instead of $150 in the new wing. To be honest, if you want privacy, go to the old wing, its quitter, more private and the views are just as spectacular if note more. the new wing is about 200 metres from the hotel, and the hotel has found a really cool way of getting their horses from the old wing to the new one (which you can do with a very short 3 minute walk) via a horse drawn cart which is terribly romantic!! on our first night at the resort (we stayed in room 230, our bed broke (no its not because of what you think, LOL!) we called the reception (the new wing does not have local phone lines, you have to call a cellphone number that they provide on their paper work), and it took 1 hour before they sent someone over to look at the problem. It took another hour for them to fix the bed, we asked for a room change, but they said they were fully booked even in the new wing (don't know how true that is). The maids were very kind and lit a fire for us by the fireplace by the veranda ad gave us blankets to cover ourselves to avoid mosquito bites. When they finished fixing the bed, we went back on the bed and it felt soooo shakey like it was about to break, instead of calling the reception (which we knew would take like 2 hours before they would fix anything)), we just resorted to taking the mattress down and slept on the floor. Did I mention that we were woken up at night by really loud prayers from the nearby church or was it mosque? the rooms in the old wing have no ceiling and so it was as if the church or mosque was in our room!!! That morning we went to complain at reception about our bed situation, you would think they would be sympathetic and offer you some sort of complimentary massage or knock off the room price, or give you some sort of voucher, but NO! they just changed our room with mumblings. Anyway, we decided not to spend much a time in the hotel that day and went to spend time at Adulala and Babogaya resort for lunch and drinks. Both places were gorgeous. If you don't have a car, take the Bajaj which is about Birr50 one way and $100 at night return to Kuriftu from Adulala resort. When we got back to Kuriftu, our room was changed to room 225 which was downstairs and had a ceiling so we hardly even noticed the morning prayers and were actually late for breakfast cos we overslept, LOL! Did I mention that although I prefer the authentic African feel and look of the upstairs room, the downstairs rooms were more comfortable, they had less mosquitos because the thatched roof work upstairs is not done to a standard that the holes are fully covered, so the mosquitos kept getting into our room. The upstairs rooms would really do with a mosquito net!!!

In all, the hotel is gorgeous, the views are spectacular, the restaurant staff are extremely professional and helpful (the same cant be said for reception staff). the hotel website under sells the hotel, the place is more gorgeous in reality, they have facilities that they fail to say on their website, a mini fridge well equipped with gorgeous wines, beers, coffe making facilities, etc. The food from the restaurant on the a la carte menu was fabulous, but breakfast had too many local dishes and few international dishes, although it seems they are really trying hard to make the breakfast experience more tolerable. The room rate comes with two 30 minute massages, one for the body and one for the feet, they also have welcome cocktails (don't get excited, its just juice, some fancy tiny bread and tuna snacks and biscuits)

would I go back again to this place?? I don't know, maybe just for lunch, I certainly don't want to encounter another broken bed.... but let me not put you off, am sure ours was a once off thing, and if we dint have that bed experience or were changed to another room quickly or compensated in some way, we would go back to the hotel.

Room Tip: if you want spectacular view at a cheaper rate, go to the new wing. If you want to be near the hotel...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mrs_Sambo

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I went with my family for a Sunday day out. The service at the lunch buffet was non existant. The buffet lunch was not tasty either. Even the beef burgers my kids ordered were not tasty and under cooked . We were then astonished to see the dessert tables empty! I asked one of the waiters and his response to us was that it was finished. Despite the fact that we had paid full buffet charges. We went on to the pool thereafter and more disappointments followed-This time there was no place to change! A lady working in the spa room directed us to a small store next to the pool that was too cramped with cleaning equipment and too dark. Excellence location, poor food and service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LouAnn A
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a 5-star hotel by most standards not just Ethiopian standards. It has all the amenities that a modern hotel offers. This is a Spa resort and one massage is included with each room's rental. Extra massages are really inexpensive (about $10).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Michel G
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I came here with a friend. I brought a cake as it was her birthday...apparently their is a corkage fee for cake brought in from outside, but the management said there was no charge for bringing in the cake that said 'Happy Birthday'. It's good to see that there is a flicker of life in customer service in Ethiopia. I had a pizza here which was really good. Still waiting on the complementary massage...

Room Tip: Obviously the old side is better as there are no amenities at the new site.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 May 2014

From the moment we took the right left (getting here is moderately challenging) to the time we took our last, the time spent here was pleasingly serene.

We arrived before noon, which at first seemed like a mistake because the room wasn't ready; however it was actually an advantage as it allowed us early access to the buffet, our choice of spa times, no wait for kayaking, a spot beside the pool, time in the sauna, a dip in the jacuzzi...all before dinner.

After dinner we took a stroll around the resort and gift shop before retiring to our veranda and a warm fire. The fire was a perfect nightcap. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, although we did get quite a few insect bites while dreaming. As expected, we were awaken by the ubiquitous Orthodox Church chanting. What Belarus is to vodka, Ethiopia is to churches.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice way to begin our day. In fact, the food was generally good and the service fast and friendly. What followed was a very relaxing massage in an ideal setting. Checkout time was now upon us and we were very happy to have planned ahead for credit card problems by bringing birr. After at least seven instances of communications failure we forked over a wad of birr and began our trek back to Addis both relaxed and rejuvenated. Of course, the drive back changed all that.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2014

This is a lovely place. For the december holidays my family and I decided to stay in Kuriftu Resort while we explored the city of Debre Zeyit and climbed the near by mountain called Ziqwalla (which I would highly recommend). The resort is a lovely place to relax and there are lots of fun things to do, like kayaking and bird watching. The spa is also great, my mum and I had a amazing releasing afternoon there after a difficult climb. The Ethiopian people are also truly lovely! I would highly recommend this.

Room Tip: The new rooms in the newly built area, are amazing. It is also more quite in the newly built rooms a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 April 2014

My week at the Kuriftu resort (the venue for a reflection workshop that I was facilitating) was one of the most delightful interludes in my calendar which is packed with work-related travel. It's not often that I actually feel relaxed while working - but Kuriftu had everything that it takes to allow me let go of my stress and just go with the flow.

The gorgeously laid-out gardens (how did they achiev that green in just seven years?); the luxurious rooms with flower-strewn beds, spectacular traditional bamboo ceilings and ethnic-looking leather furniture; the spa with world-class massages and treatments on the house; the serene lake with its amazing variety of bird life (pelicans, weaver birds, kingfishers, cormorants and many more that I could not identify); the courteous and welcoming staff - everything was designed to charm. It worked - I was charmed.

I've seen some comments from earlier reviewers about poor service - my experience doesn't bear this out. Every request was courteously and smoothly handled - I asked for and got a change of room (because of a plumbing problem), endless printouts and xeroxes, extra towels, fruit - even a basket of breadcrumbs to feed the birds. Most of the housekeeping staff don't speak English so this might be a problem - but the staff at the front desk are very responsive and helpful. And everyone goes out of their way to be helpful.

I do have a couple of complaints though.

First, the rather boring vegetarian options on the set menu, which has all of three options (two kinds of pasta and Ethiopian fasting food which is not exciting after the first three days). The buffet lunches and dinners were great though - lots of vegetables and salads, and the desserts are divine.

Second, the absence of a telephone and poor wireless connectivity in the new rooms.

Third, the electricals - the bedside lamp is to feeble to read by and there are no convenient power outlets - I had to crawl behind a heavy piece of furniture and wrestle with the TV plug to pull it out and charge my laptop and phone.

But these are minor problems that bothered me only because I was working - I wouldn't even notuice them if I was on a holiday at Kuriftu.

One more thing that is a cause for complaint is the absence of a walking path around the lake - although there is a little jetty with kayaks on offer, I kept dreaming of an early-morning walk around the tranquil waters.

All in all, a destination that I would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: The new rooms are bigger and nicer than the old ones, but are a short walk away (down an unpaved cou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishoftu
Capital Hotel and Spa
Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Liesak Resort Hotel
Liesak Resort Hotel
#1 of 4 in Bishoftu

Been to Kuriftu Resort? Share your experiences!