“Refurbishment needed”
Review of Sala Don Khone

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Don Khone
Sala Don Khone
Ranked #7 of 10 Don Khone B&B and Inns
Singapore, null, Singapore
“Refurbishment needed”
Reviewed 18 June 2012

We stayed there for 2 or 3 nights.

There were coconuts or some kind of animal hitting my side window that woke me in the morning that would not go away. The paint was chipping off and there were many bugs. They should have provided insect repellent to drive away the bugs. The room felt generally pretty old and dirty.

The shower was difficult to use as scalding hot water would suddenly come out followed by ice cold water and you end up spending more time twisting the knobs in the shower than actually cleaning yourself.

The food was good, staff was friendly. Perhaps if we stayed in one of the houses on the river it would have been better.

We stayed at the corner room facing the restaurant and monkey cage.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Vicky C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
New Jersey
Reviewed 7 April 2012

This property is the best in the town of Don Khone. The room categories include, cottages, french suites, french studio and floating rooms all NOW with air conditioning. The "street" level rooms offer cottages that are the lowest priced category of room, there are also 4 floating rooms that are all attached and you can hear through the walls I found out after talking too loud early in the morning. I didn't like the floating rooms but loved the suites and studios.

The property is in the middle of town and is just above the river with a bar/restaurant.

One of the best things about the property for me was meeting the 6 year old female gibbon that was rescued from a family that intended to eat her after her mother was killed by a poacher. She is a lovely sweet animal and is well cared for. I generally dislike seeing captive wild animals but this one was a pleasure to meet and quite entertaining. I loved her!

The suites

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank wjcNewJersey
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I have to confess I was a bit unsure about staying here as the reviews were so variable. However we found the newly refurbished bungalows to be great (I checked out the unrenovated floating bungalow and would suggest you definitely request reno bungalow!). We stayed for 5 nights.

The inside of the bungalows were comfy - lovely wooden floor boards, small but good bathroom, and lovely expanse of glass looking out to deck and the Mekong. Loved waking up to the morning activity on the river. We used the balcony a lot. We also went for a swim right from the deck - actually very pleasant although the current was very strong.

The one disappointment was to have two single beds pushed together rather than large queen mattress.

Breakfast was limited but perfectly ok. (we found the food on the island to be a very high standard - every place we ate at provided delicious fresh food)

Forgot to mention we stayed the first night in the French suite rooms - I have read dodgy reviews about these rooms but ours was quite charming - a little bit shabby but definitely chic of sorts. Nice four poster bed, high ceilings, white washed walls, tiled floors. Little balcony looking out to garden.

We hired bikes for $1 a day and had a great time exploring the island and neighbouring Don Det

Room Tip: Suggest only staying in refurbed floating bungalows
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 January 2012

My mother (aged 66) and I had a pleasant stay at Sala Don Khone. We didn't make a booking, and when we first arrived, they only had bungalows available. We stayed just one night in a bungalow and found it very comfortable. We had a ceiling fan and mosquito nets on windows, but as we came during the dry season, there were no insects.

The bed was much softer than other beds in Laos and everything in the room was functional. It even had a kettle (with tea and coffee) and a fridge.

For the next three nights we stayed in Sala Phae, their floating raft rooms. Access is a little tricky (well, it was for my mother), with a poorly lit gangplank going from the riverbank to the deck.

The rooms themselves are very comfortable and spacious and really are triples rather than twins. The third bed is a daybed with the best views of all. Not ideal for a siesta sadly as it's in the blaring sun. The rooms are air-conditioned, but we didn't use the a/c. The ceiling fan was more than enough to keep us cool.

These rooms have the most amazing view of sunset over the Cambodian hills which you can see from the deck. There are two very comfortable lounges / canvas seats on the deck. If the water quality is OK while you're visiting, it's perfectly fine to swim from the room. Ask the staff if the water is OK for swimming.

The staff were very helpful with arranging a few things on the island (we had a driver take us to the dolphin viewing drop off point as it was too far for mum to walk in the dark afterwards). Everything else (including that point if you can handle the dimness) is within walking distance.

If you want to go see the 'big' waterfalls (back on the mainland), I'd suggest going to someone other than the hotel for your booking. We used the little outfit that puts a table out onto the street to sell bus tickets, etc.

We paid $50 USD per night for the raft room for two people. Breakfast was included.

The buffet breakfast was good. Two eggs cooked any style, with baguettes, fresh fruit, tea, coffee and juice.

Other meals in the restaurant were good, but expensive compared to other restaurants on the island. All of the food we ate on the island was good. You can really take your pick of riverside, sunset viewing spots.

One weird thing happened after we checked out though. We were en route to Cambodia (by bus) and when we got to the border, the bus leader was hesitant to give me my passport back because he said I didn't pay my hotel bill. By chance, I had the receipts in my bag. When I showed him, he gave me my passport and the bus continued. Then I had two calls (on the leader's phone) from the hotel manager telling me I hadn't paid one of the bills and that I owed him money. There was much confusion. Firstly, he told me that I owed him $6 USD and asked me to send it with the driver (which I did). Some time later, he rang again and asked me to scan all of my receipts and email the files to him so he could check what I had paid and what I hadn't. There was apparently still $20 outstanding.

I couldn't be bothered discussing it any more, and I certainly wasn't going to waste holiday time at a Cambodian internet cafe for the sake of $20, so I arranged for a friend visiting the following week to drop off the money for me.

That whole situation was a bit weird. Given the meal prices were quite expensive and the room rates were about double anywhere else on the island, I would have thought they'd have worn their mistake instead of hassling an otherwise satisfied visitor.

All in all, I would stay at Sala Don Khone again, particularly in a raft room. The days were very blissful, and I read a book a day as well as explored the whole island on foot.

Room Tip: ask for a new raft room
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 10 January 2012

Stayed in French Bungalow. Was very disappointed when stepping in. Walls were in need of painting, and I hate tiled floors. No windows to my room, which really kills the atmosphere when taking an afternoon break at the hotel. No hot water for showering at night. They could also have provided some insect spray or at least some coils to burn on the porch to keep the bugs away.

It was the best we could find on all the three islands though, on the Internet, although it seems you can find better if you head to Don Khong and just shop around. We didn't have time though.

However the things that really matter, I.e. toilet and beds were really decent. Toilet and shower was squeaky clean, with brand new fittings, and beds were relatively comfy, although I could feel some springs, but they didn't really bug me. Sheets and pillows were great.

Restaurants serves surprisingly good food. The roasted fish and herbal chicken were my favourites. They also have that Italian Campari with soda thing with is lovely in the afternoon.

If this place was about $25-40 instead of $50 -$65, I'd say it was good value. However most people that stay in non backpacker accomodation don't spend lots of time on the islands because it's pretty undeveloped and there's not much to do, so I guess if it's a little bit pricey for the value, it's only a couple of days, so it's fine...

Room Tip: The French rooms to the side of the main yellow building are pretty good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Izabellachen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2012

Having explored the area, we concluded that his hotel was definitely the best on Don Khone - we stayed in one of the bungalows, which was spacious and clean, with a fab sunset restaurant. Recommended!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Sala Don Khone located on the Khone Island is about an hour boat ride from Khong Island.
The hotel itself doesnt have much to offer with facilities but its cosy and the staff are friendly. Its located in the village on Khone Island with locals and tourists walking side by side.
The reception is located exactly where your boat taxi will drive up to and up a flight of stairs. Floating rooms on the river (not available while I was there), and comfy as are all the rooms really. There are no roads in or around but bikes or scooters can be rented to drive around.
The room itself is comfortable though basic (no television either) with a little patio style veranda to relax on.
Breakfast is buffet style at the coffee shop facing the reception and on the Mekong River. At night it has a beautiful view of the sunset with the sky all different shades and colors.
Located around the hotel is an exchange and internet as well as a little grocery store.
Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
#9 of 10 in Don Khone
Pan's Residence
Pan's Residence
#4 of 10 in Don Khone

Been to Sala Don Khone? Share your experiences!