“Fantastic find in Finchingfield”

The Finchingfield Lion
Price range: US$7 - US$26
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Buffet, Reservations
Description: We are a cozy country pub. We serve good home cooked food. We have a cosy, warm bar with real ale and an open fire, a lovely dining room and a large beer garden. We also have B&B rooms available.
Long Melford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic find in Finchingfield”
Reviewed 4 December 2012

Visited for Sunday lunch. Very nice welcome. Chose 2 courses for 9.95 GBP. Beautifully served Chicken, with good roast potatoes and Yorkshire. Large dish of fresh vegetables, all very nicely cooked and presented. Our friends had Beef, again excellent, and they enjoyed a homemade apple crumble, while I had a trio of ROSSI icecream. Wish I could have managed the three courses for 11.95 GBP. Could have chosen Chilli Con Carne or various other options, so not just Sunday roast on offer. The new owners are doing a great job, and we look forward to returning in the near future.

• Visited December 2012

Hockley, United Kingdom
“Excellent Pub Restaurant”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife and I had a lunch here midweek on a visit to Finchingfield and were not disappointed.This is a charming olde worlde pub with much history situated just up the hill from the village. There is good car parking.
I had decided to book for lunch and it was just as well I did as the small restaurant was full up with what seemed to be regulars by one o'clock. The dining room is quite homely and the lady who served us was so friendly and welcoming which made for a pleasant start. You can eat in the bar area as well if you prefer.
The choice of food (and wine) is extensive, something for everyone including vegetarians and the prices modest.
I have to say we enjoyed everything we chose and had a good meal here in cheerful company.
Only slight downside, rather a long wait, but given the number of customers and that everything is cooked fresh, I feel that could be forgiven. Anyway, who wants to rush a nice outing?

• Visited November 2012
“A must visit!!!!!”
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Fancied somewhere different for Sunday lunch so thought we'd take a drive out from Braintree and come across the Red Lion from an Internet search. I'm not going to bark on about every little detail as I'm no restaurant critic, I'm simply going to say this place serves superb food and is great value. 3 course Sunday lunch for £11.95, each course delicious, great portion sizes and lovely service. We'll be regulars from now on and very much looking forward to trying their curry nights on a Wednesday.

Sudbury, Suffolk
“Gone down a bit...”
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We were regulars in the Red Lion under the previous management and loved it. Of course, new people will make some changes - some you may like, some you may not. But overall, the Red Lion is not as good as it was.

The new folk have brightened up the restaurant area, although very few people ever ate in there in the past. May be this will change or is changing. However, although there are new offers on food (eg curry night and "beer included" a la Wetherspoons) I was disappointed that the lunchtime menu seemed more pricey - especially sandwiches. We were lunchtime regulars so the sandwich menu was what we used mostly. The previous owners served brilliant chips with a sandwich - the chips I had one lunchtime were fine, but had leaped in price to, from memory, £3.20 a bowl. way too much!

And a pretty average and not very big coffee had gone from the old £1.50 to, I think, £1.80 or £1.85. Not great value.

The Red Lion has mainly catered for tourists during the day, expecially in the warmer months and for locals at night. I can't believe that coach trip people really want to watch the TV and don't think any locals leave their lounges to watch the box in the pub. What on earth was a TV installed for?

It's also a shame that the old staff were not encouraged to stay on when the management changed. They were a great bunch. But the new people are reasonably friendly, so no huge gripe there.

I will go back from time to time when I'm in Finchingfield, but would not be ordering coffee again - at Red Lion prices I might as well have a beer!

• Visited July 2012
Dunmo
“Great meal for £8!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

After driving through Finchingfield with my wife we noticed a notice board saying "£8 curry night". We went in there and was greeted by lovely staff who promptly took our order. We both ordered steak which was cooked to exactly how we asked. The £8 meal came with a free pint of beer or house wine meaning the steak came to £4.80!! Amazing value and we will be coming again soon.

• Visited September 2012