All reviews new owners wonderful hosts master bedroom places to visit evening meal beautiful countryside relaxing stay warm hospitality rural france local area french countryside within easy reach wonderful place delicious food manor house the main house lovely room
Reviewed 27 June 2018

This exceeded what we expected from this location. Pete was very friendly and gave us tips and maps for possible locations to see. The Gite was very comfortable and the “Welcome” pack was most appreciated. Peter also showed us through the main house which was an awesome experience. Would recommended a stay of least a week to experience the sights around the district.

Room tip: Everything was beautifully presented and nothing was too hard for the host
Date of stay: June 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2018

Thank you for your kind response. I'm really glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Chez Jallot. It was a pity you were not able to stay longer but we hope that you have the opportunity to return again at some point in the future.

Pete

Reviewed 20 June 2018

I cannot fault my stay at Chez Jallot at all, my hosts were polite and attentive, the location was quiet and relaxing, the accommodation (a Gite) was clean and comfortable and Chez Jallot made a great base to explore the locallity with good walking and cycling close by.

Room tip: All rooms are very quiet due to the rural location.
Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Thank you for your kind words. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay here at Chez Jallot and hope that you have another opportunity in the future to revisit. Until next time.

Pete & Jenny

Reviewed 3 June 2018

I searched online for "remote French hotel" and found Chez Jallot; for me, it was ideal.

Chez Jallot is an exquisitely renovated manor house in the heavily-forested Creuse region. I stayed in the Forest Room - lots of space, huge double bed, powerful shower. I stayed full board for nine days but only took lunch on one of those days because I stayed out walking or exploring every day. Peter and Jenny offered me some of my money back, but I was so pleased with Chez Jallot I wouldn't hear of it. Eating and dining is in the enormous classic French dining room with log fire.

The house is registered as a chambre d'hote, which means no more than five guest rooms, so I could have happily spent my entire holiday in the grounds of this enormous house and hardly ever seen anyone else.

The nearest hamlet is Vidaillat (3 km) but the entire area is populated with idyllic market towns and villages - you can find a street market, somewhere, every day of the week except Sunday. There are more walking routes than you could possibly find time to do, and plenty of tiny churches to rest weary feet and cafes to replenish energy!

I had the very best of times. I didn't want to leave and won't hesitate to return when time permits.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2018

Thanks for your kind words and review. It was a pleasure having you stay and we hope that you have an opportunity to return again at some point in the future. Best wishes. Pete & Jenny

Reviewed 9 May 2018

Yes, like many we have seen the three 'Grand Design' programmes that saw the rebuild of this splendid building from the 'ashes' but nevertheless this is one of Frances best kept secrets. At the end of a long and winding road that takes you through some small typical villages of the region but in a very sparsely populated part of France one arrives at the lovely location. Now hosted by Pete and Jenny (though Jenny was in UK at the time we were there) it has the wonderful charm and splendour of a top establishment. We had stayed for two nights in a room so large, which with its equally large bathroom was probably bigger than our whole flat in London. The gardens are well kept and full of interest as is the interior. Pete cooked our evening meal ably (bit more seasoning and herbs in the sauce would have made it even better Pete) Breakfast was also good with typical continental breakfast foods and thankfully no English breakfast was offered. In between all his chores, Pete informed us of the history of Chez Jallot, the area, places to visit and was knowledgeable about the local markets. We couldn't have done better at the local tourist office. All in all this is a place to return to for a longer stay and not to be quiet about but to tell friends and
family all about it and recommend it as a base for seeing this are at a leisurely pace. The scenery and wildlife here is truly magnificent.

Room tip: All rooms have views of the surrounding country side.
Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2018

Thank you so much for your kind words, they are much appreciated. We're glad you had a good relaxing time and was able to discover what a hidden gem this part of France actually is. Your suggestion on herbs and seasoning has been duly noted :-). We look forward to welcoming you back here again at some point in the future. Many thanks. Pete & Jenny.

Reviewed 19 November 2017

Peter and Jenny were outstanding hosts who made our 10 day stay at Chez Jallot a true pleasure. The gîte was so clean, comfortable, and well equipped that never during our stay did we long for the comforts of our own home. Chez Jallot itself is a beautiful, historical manor home with spacious grounds that our two dogs loved to play in. But the best aspect was Peter and Jenny's warm hospitality. Throughout our stay they shared all sorts of useful tips and suggestions that helped us make the most of our time in the Limousin. We look forward to visiting again!

Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MandGtravellers
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2017

Thank you for your great review which is very much appreciated. We are glad that our gite came up to expectations and that you and your two dogs enjoyed yourselves. We know that you very much fell in love with this area of France while you were here and hope that you return soon to further experience what the part of the country has to offer.

Peter & Jenny