All reviews new owners wonderful hosts master bedroom places to visit evening meal beautiful countryside relaxing stay warm hospitality rural france local area french countryside within easy reach wonderful place delicious food manor house the main house lovely room
Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

My girlfriend and I first saw Chez Jallot, as have a great many, on Grand Designs. We loved the story and the look of the place and the area, so we decided to spend a week there in July 2018. We would recommend it to anyone. Here’s why:

So I say we went because of Grand designs and I imagine that is a bit of a pain for Pete and Jenny as the new owners, but I have to say we will be going back because of its own merits and because of the excellent hosting from Pete when we were there (sadly Jenny was away).

First, Pete as a host was exemplary. We stayed in l’atelier Gite as we wanted a place to ourselves for the week. From the moment we arrived Pete went out of his way to make us feel comfortable and to help us with things to do and to answer any questions we had. The little food basked they give all Gite guests was perfect. Some great jam, wine, cheese and other bits and pieces. Absolutely lovely. From then on anything we needed help with was not a problem for Pete. Maps, cycle routes, eating suggestions, day trips. A true example of great hosting.

Next, the place itself. It’s a beautiful building and grounds. The gite was clean and tidy and exactly what we wanted. I’ll never forget breakfast and dinner on our little balcony. The kitchen has all your basic needs and the layout and table etc is ideal. No noise or sound pollution and the beds were comfy and warm.

However, if you want a busy town and nightlife you won’t get that here. This is for those people that want a nice and quiet, secluded getaway from it all. Though there is plenty to do and lots of days out to be had, so a family would have a great base to work from if you needed it. The lake is close and there are some fantastic beaches to relax at or enjoy some water sports.

For those of you Grand Designs fans that want a look around the building, Pete even accommodated our request for a bit of a nose around. Considering how much of a drag that probably is for them now, he was more than happy to answer questions, show us around and talk about all things Chez Jallot. Thanks so much, Pete, it meant a lot.

So, will we be back? Definitely. We fell in love as soon as we arrived and really did not want to leave. We can’t wait to try one of the guest rooms and to sit and drink some red wine with Pete and Jenny at the garden table.

Chez Jallot has secured a space in our hearts and we can’t wait for our next trip down there. If you’re thinking of a quiet trip away out in the middle of nowhere to escapee the hum drum of normal life, go. Enjoy and fall in love with the place and the people.

You won’t regret it.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you so much for your review. I am glad that your stay here was both memorable and enjoyable. You were great guests and it would be lovely to have you both back to stay again in the future.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

Travelling around the area viewing properties, we stayed here for one night in the master bedroom. The bedroom and bathroom were absolutely beautiful and spacious. Our host, Pete (Jenny was away) was brilliant. We requested a vegetarian supper which was not a problem at all and we experienced three generous portions. Pete tried out a new recipe on us and it was fabulous! The area surrounding Chez Jallot is so pretty and peaceful. If you are reading this review - just book it!

Room tip: Spotless, comfortable, spacious.
Date of stay: October 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am so glad that I was able to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable, even if it was only for one night. Hopefully, once you have found somewhere in France to live, you will have the opportunity to return here and explore and experience more of what the Creuse and the area around Chez Jallot has to offer. I look forward to seeing you again at some point.

Reviewed 7 October 2018

Chez Jallot holds a special place in our lives as this is where we got engaged! Peter and Jenny helped my fiancé planned the whole thing! and made everything so special! Peter even captured this special moment for us and now we have lovely pictures of this special day. Peter and Jenny were so nice to us and extremely helpful. The jallot is very beautiful and peaceful. There are various walks and hikes that you can take around the area. We loved our stay with Peter and Jenny and hope to come back one day.

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great review. Your engagement here at Chez Jallot was our first, so you will always be guests we remember. We are so glad that we were able to make it such a memorable and enjoyable stay for you both. We look forward to see you back here at some stage, but this time as Mr & Mrs.

Reviewed 3 September 2018

My husband and I stayed in the rather grand house for two nights. The room was wonderful and we enjoyed a superb meal cooked by Peter. The breakfast was delicious too! He is an excellent host, talking about the local area, history and places to visit etc. We then moved to the gite and stayed for a further six nights. Very comfortable with a welcome pack on arrival too. We barbecued, sat on the veranda and enjoyed the tranquility of our surroundings. The lake is an easy 25 minutes drive away and you can stop off on route to collect your bread etc. We shall certainly be back! Ray and Danuta

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Andrea D
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2018

Thank you for your kind review. I am so glad that you had a great time here and that you were both able to enjoy what the house, gardens and surrounding countryside has to offer. The Creuse is a secret gem waiting to be discovered!. I very much look forward to hosting you both again at some point in the very near future.

Pete.

Reviewed 22 August 2018

I booked late as we travelled through France for myself and my wife for a couple of nights. I'm really so glad I did... the Creuse as an area with lots to do and Peter was always on hand to direct and offer ideas. From the first evening meal to the last breakfast we had a brilliant time... my only regret is we didn't stay longer, it was a real highlight of our holiday. The room was very comfortable, the meals delicious and the conversation/history of "the" Grand Design house very interesting. If you love Grand Designs this is a must visit, but if you didn't watch it, visit anyway it is real piece of paradise, with a excellent host.

Date of stay: August 2018
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Peter L, Owner at Chez Jallot, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2018

Thank you for your kind review. It is really great to hear that people have enjoyed themselves both at Chez Jallot and visiting the Creuse as a whole. This is a largely unknown and unspoilt part of France which nearly always surprises visitors to this area. It was great to have you here and it would be lovely to have you back here again at some point in the future.