“Gem of place”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Been going to the Barge for years and its the most amazing place ever to people watch! We've seen it change over the years but not too much thankfully and the food has improved loads and beer not bad either. One of Wiltshires best kept secrets Love it

4  Thank Jane E

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Ah, where to start - amazing location with lovely views of the white horse of Alton Barnes and the hills. The canal side spot is just lovely for a sunny afternoon. They have a good range of drinks on offer, and the food menu is diverse enough to have something for everyone without being bewildering and complicated - I get the impression that everything is cooked fresh without there being the constant ping of a microwave. I always judge a place by its chips, and these were spot on! I'm not sure why it's had some negative reviews - it's like we went to a different place! It's got a laid back atmosphere, but that's what I like. Anyway. If you're looking for a country pub, you can't do any better.

2  Thank Ben P
Reviewed 19 May 2014

Went for lunch here having not been for a long time. The pub has changed a lot but it looks great inside and out.
We were disappointed by the service, we were ignored for a while on entering, then the bar lady disappeared with no explanation halfway through our order and when the food came she dumped it on the table without a word and walked off! That was the last we saw of her. I can only assume she was new to bar work, but a bit of communication would have been nice.
The food was OK, my partners fish was rather soggy and greasy though.
I would like to return again as its such a great setting for a sunny canal side lunch, I just hope the service is better next time.
On the plus side though, it wasnt expensive and its very dog friendly.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

The Barge inn was a great pub until a few months ago. It was a place to experience something different, meet interesting people, chill out, enjoy the views and dance away to the latest band. The new landlords have no personality, unfriendly, look down their noses at customers and have created an atmosphere of unpleasantness. The locals no longer want to go in there. The landlord has no people skills. The food takes ages to arrive and appears to have gone down hill also. Why bother taking on a famous crop circle lovely lively pub if you don't make people feel welcome especially the customers who visit there regularly in the winter when nobody else does.Instead of making customers feel welcome they are pushing them away to other surrounding pubs. My friends visited it months ago and loved the charm of it and the local barge owners, they came back two weeks ago and could not believe the difference. It is now full of stuffy miserable staff and nothing more.Hope they realise the crop circle fanatics from around the world will expect a smile whilst they spend loads of money there. Sad is all I can say.

5  Thank nikki m
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We visit lots of places throughout the uk and never normally submit any reviews but after reading some of the remarks about THE BARGE, I feel that I must air my own views. My husband and I visited the Barge in April as we were visiting relatives a few miles away and had heard so many fantastic reports that we just had to see for ourselves. We arrived to find that there was a classic car meeting on which made our visit all the more interesting as we both absolutely love the old cars. The pub itself is in such a beautiful location that we sat outside and took in the picturesque views with the White Horse of Wiltshire clearly visible In the distance. Inside, the pub was heaving with customers ordering both weird and wonderful ales of a bright vivid green and delicious looking plates of food and although it was very hectic we were met with an extremely warm welcome ! Once things had quietened down slightly I was surprised to find out that the owners had actually only taken over the previous week but I can honestly say that although extremely busy, each and every customer was served with a cheery smile off the landlady and landlord. I could easily go on and about about our "Barge" experience but I honestly think that if you take the time to take
a trip down to Honey Street you will find a little treasure at the
end of the rainbow !!!