“Brilliant Carl Games”

The Waterfront Bar & Bistro
Ranked #2 of 20 Restaurants in Pewsey
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a welcoming dog friendly pub. Come and join us and try our varied well kept range of real ales, continental lagers and great wine list in front of a roaring fire, looking out on great views. Fantastic Bistro, serving exceptional deliciousness freshly prepared and cooked to perfection by our head chef and partner Carl Games. Specializing in fresh fish and sumptuous puds
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Popped in today as heard so many god things about what Carl and Nigel were doing .... Out in the wilds of Wiltshire .....
Totally brilliant atmosphere in bar Nigel is probably best landlord ever and certainly best in Wiltshire ( having suffered ego maniac dick heads like Viv from the Lamb in marlborough and Barry from royal oak in pewsey) so refreshing to meet a genuine bloke and someone who can have a proper conversation.... So bar .... So good ! Now food..........
Today had the burger ... £9.50 of perfection
Burger home made comes with fries salad and a smile great staff great cook bloody perfect all round ! ...... Other people having fresh whitebait and cooing over how good it is and the fish and chips look amazingly fresh and yummy Carl is certainly doing everything right here and prices are very reasonable
5 stars

22  Thank Greg C

Reviewed 5 May 2014

Hubby and I couldn't get into our 'regular' canal-side pub on Saturday evening as it was fully booked so we thought we'd try The Waterfront. When I called to book I was told the bistro was full so we'd be in the pub which was fine. When we arrived we were a little put off by the pay and display signs but nobody else had tickets so we didn't bother either, when hubby checked with the staff we were told the council people turned a blind-eye in the evenings. The entrance to the pub was round the back of the building and the signs weren't very clear and the whole outside looked like it needed a little tlc! The pub area only has seating for 20 and does feel a bit like an after thought although it's very pleasant. The menu was not huge but we both found things we fancied although there is an emphasis on fish dishes. My husband said his calamari starter was a bit bland whereas I found my cheese soufflé a bit too rich as it was swimming in a thick cheese sauce made of a very tasty cheddar, it could have done with something to give it a bit of contract as the chives didn't offer any flavour. Hubby said his lamb shank was ok although he's had better and my burger was the same, could have had some onion rings and maybe mozzarella with the same very tasty cheddar. The French fries were nice as was the salad, although some in the burger may have been better. The chutney that came in the burger was very vinegary and a bit overpowering. Desert was fine but nothing special. The overall impression was one of good effort but could do better, it didn't feel very slick, the lady who appeared to be in charge had no idea what ciders were available and had to go upstairs to check and to collect my order which took a while. The same happened with my ice-cream desert. There was a large family table at the end of the room which got progressively louder as the evening went on which was off-putting in such a small space. The recycled food jars of flowers on the tables were a slightly odd idea, especially with the labels partly torn off!

1  Thank Wiltshirewanderer77
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and daughter and I had Sunday lunch here today and it was very enjoyable. The roast beef and roast chicken were tasty, the roast potatoes crisp, and the accompanying vegetables were green beans, leeks in cheese sauce, and red cabbage-so trouble had been taken to make it an interesting meal. The pub is small, friendly and although the restaurant has a touch of gastro pub chic in its decoration the place is actually very relaxed and the staff very friendly. It is right alongside the canal and on a sunny spring day like we had today you can have a very pleasant pre or post lunch walk in the Wiltshire countryside.

1  Thank Phil P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We've been meaning to go here for a while and for some reason just not got there.
Managed to get a table on a Wed eve and we are so glad we did!
Nice varied menu (took a while to decide, but we went with the fish dishes on the specials board), we had starters, main course and then a sweet, and each one blew us away! So tasty and fresh without feeling bloated. Nice, friendly relaxed atmosphere. Well kept, delicious beer ...definitely coming back! Cheers!

2  Thank Gary A
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We had a terrific Sunday lunch at the Wharf. We started by sharing a big bowl of lovely spicy whitebait with some of the local ale. The boys then tucked in to roast beef with all the trimmings and lashings of gravy. We girls enjoyed a hearty plate of fresh sea trout on a bed of crushed new potatoes with a delicious lemon sauce. The pudds were great and my other half even squeezed in some cheese. The boys enjoyed rather too much red wine from Australia which meant I had to navigate home! So I'm looking forward to going back in the summer to enjoy those beautiful view with a crisp glass of wine in my hand (and no car keys!). Great spot and the place is set to improve significantly with some exciting plans for developing the outside areas.

4  Thank Jenny E