Sherkston Shores
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Seaway Motel(Port Colborne)
US$62
US$55
  • Room Service
Good Night Motel(Port Colborne)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$61
US$49
US$48
Priceline
Clarion Hotel & Conference Centre(Fort Erie)(Great Value!)
US$120
US$84
Priceline
Best Western Plus Rose City Suites(Welland)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$111
Comfort Inn Fort Erie(Fort Erie)(Great Value!)
US$81
Priceline
Haven Motel(Fort Erie)(Great Value!)
US$57
US$56
US$75
All reviewswater slidesboston pizzasplash padlast yearmini puttchocolate bar bingoa lot of funrent a golf cartahead of timeplace is greatall agesbad reviewsrv parkfamily vacationkeep in mindtennis courtsgrocery store
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 June 2014

My husband & I camped in our travel trailer for 3 nights over the Victoria Day weekend with 2 ten year old girls & we all had an absolute blast! There was so much to do if you like to keep busy & of course you can do nothing at all if that is your style. Girls had fun at archery, water slides, swam in pool, crafts, games, bingo, huge arcade, bungee jumping, nice size playground, biking etc etc. Some of the activities cost a small fee9archery/bungee) but we thought it was reasonable. Walks on the beach, around the quarry, pool bar & a band playing nightly where my husband and I could have a drink & watch entertainment was nice for us adults. The store is stocked very nicely. There is also a nice coffee shop with ice cream, pastries, sandwiches etc. We didn't try Boston Pizza but would be handy if we didn't bring so much food. Our site was by the quarry, a nice size with a big field behind. They offer premium sites as well as other cheaper sites. As you know, you get what you pay for so don't complain if you don't fork out the extra money for a nicer site. Yes we were one of the campers that rented a golf cart. We did bring our bikes but thought it would be fun to have a golf cart for a day. There are a lot of carts driving around but the negative comments about them are unjustified. Please note that Sherkston is a very large RV resort like you see in the United States.. If this is not your style for camping, don't camp there and then write a negative review. We thought the resort was really well run & staff were very friendly & accommodating. Even though we were there over the Victoria Day weekend, there were no crazy partying campers or no more than any other campground. As for the person who complained about the construction noise, it was a very long winter & the staff are just trying to make improvements while the weather cooperates. I've been to Provincial Parks where they are cutting the grass at 8 in the morning. Work needs to be done at some point! Most campgrounds we are woken up by screaming noisy kids but as I like to think "it is what it is & make the best of it". Also as for the comment about nothing being open, campgrounds don't open absolutely everything or offer extra activities until school is finished the end of June. Until then weekends always have a lot to offer. Once again please keep in mind this is a huge resort style RV park with lots of fun to be had. As long as you aren't a negative boring person who looks for things to complain about, I can't see why you wouldn't have a blast! We will definitely be returning next year!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank smaydinli
Reviewed 18 June 2014

So another season at Sherkston is upon us. At the end of last year Sherkston Shores was sold to a company called Care Free. This review is a follow up to my original post "Some important Sherkston Tips".

If you are considering heading to Sherkston for a week or a weekend and have read some reviews here you might be deterred by the negative reviews that speak to constant partying and wild teens on golf carts....

This year Sherkston has increased their security presence, hired a new security manager and is strictly enforcing park rules. Last weekend they actually had spot checks for open alcohol in golf carts!

Ok... on with the TIPS!

TIP 1:

At least one time you gotta visit the new onsite Boston Pizza restaurant! The food is amazing and the staff are great! There are many new staff in the restaurant this year but they have picked up their positions quickly and you can expect top quality food and service! I highly recommend the "panookie" (pretty sure that's how its spelled). Its a dessert thats a fresh baked cookie with ice-cream and sauces.... melts in your mouth and its great to share! Their wings are good too! Nice thing is you can have food delivered right to your site or even to one of the pick up points on the beach.

TIP 2:

Nightlife has changed a bit at Sherkston this year. The bar (that many people love) now closes at 12:00 instead of the normal 2:00 am. I was told this is in keeping with the "family resort" atmosphere that Sherkston is all about! I personally notice most people aren't happy that the bar closes earlier however there is a significant reduction in late night mayhem. The bar is still great and a lot of the bands from last year are back this year. Couple of weeks ago we really enjoyed "No Class" a local Niagara band made up mostly of teachers... clever name guys!

TIP 3: well less of a tip and more of a comment in response to "off season hell" that was posted on Trip Advisor....

What are you talking about??? The only construction that is going on at Sherkston is right at the front gate where they are replacing the old mini putt with a new 18 hole super mini putt. Granted this construction is taking longer than expected but seriously.... winter was only a few weeks ago and then it rained for a month. The course is looking great and it appears they are coming to the finishing touches. I'd be very interested to know where sherkston could have possibly placed someone next to construction. For those of you not familiar with the park the mini putt is at the main activity centre near the main gate. There are no homes that are adjacent this construction. Some homeowners are doing minor construction on their sites... landscaping, new decks, new windows etc. You will typically find this type of thing happens at the beginning of the season. Obviously homeowners want this work finished for prime season when they are using their place most frequently. Seems to me if I was given a place that wasn't "satisfactory" i would simply asked to be moved. Since it is off peak, and according to that review they were moved. So what's the problem?

I can't help but wonder if some people just couldn't ever be satisfied with anything. I find that this review is misleading as I'm in the park daily and have never witnessed this "construction". The hot tub is closed for cleaning when it is necessary. Guess what... Sherkston doesn't control the weather and they can't control the occasions the hot tub NEEDS to be cleaned. Would you seriously rather go in the hot tub that is dirty? Is cleaning something that should be complained about?

"off season hell" goes on to write that since the park isn't "full" Sherkston is doing something wrong... Where are you getting your facts? In fact on the weekends the park is nearly full or full. On the long weekend they were booked 6 months to a year in advance. I know this as I had friends trying to come last minute and they couldn't be accommodated. If provincial parks are booked solid through the week I need to ask a simple question.... WHO IS THERE? My child is still in school (as I'm sure most peoples are) so who is filling our provincial parks? By the way... "off season hell" didn't mention either that they paid "off season rates". So again as with my last review I can't help but say.... YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. You're absolutely right... because there are fewer people in the park the store closes at five not at 8, the water park is closed earlier etc etc etc.... Well duh... why wouldn't it be? Don't forget this is a business they are running. My last comment about that review is what I am most shocked and defensive about... Saying the staff and people are unfriendly is a bold faced lie. Every day when I leave the park and go to work staff drive past waving hello. When you go to the welcome centre they are genuinely happy to see you. The staff at the restaurant and activity centre are genuine and friendly. The atmosphere at the park is great. Other guests will wave and say hello as they walk past. I've been the recipient of assistance launching my boat at the beach. A few weeks ago I saw a guest that had accidentally left their lights on... while they were trying to find jumper cables security drove past. They immediately stopped and assisted the guest boost their car.... sounds super unfriendly to me (Insert Sarcasm Here)

So to sum it all up....

Please don't believe the negative reviews that seem to make no sense whatsoever. If you want a fun, family environment that is WAY beyond camping you're looking at the right place. Sherkston offers something for everyone. I maintain that you should be careful to book the right type of vacation here as there are major differences throughout the park. If you wanna camp in a tent and party like a rockstar then perhaps the camping section is right for you. If you want a "cottage on the beach" experience then maybe wyldwood is right for you.... Sherkston has amazing beaches and awesome watersides. Some people want to sit pool side and others want to be around the fire. Before booking make sure you know what you and your party is looking for and book appropriately.

I regularly receive messages with questions from people looking for information on different areas in the park and I'm quite happy to respond. I have also been asked if I work for the park and the answer is NO. I'm a homeowner at the park. I do not personally rent my home at Sherkston (I get asked a lot for that too). If you have a question and want an honest answer I'd encourage you to send me a message and if I don't know the answer... I'm their daily I'll be happy to find out for you. I think the best advise I could give anyone thinking of coming to Sherkston is simply educate yourself. This is a big park with lots to offer. If you are renting privately make sure you get up to date pictures inside and out. Find out where the home is located in the park. You may find a lengthy wait at the front gate as they are more strict with security this year but its worth the wait. All in all I love sherkston! Leave your cares at the front gate and come on in and relax.

If you can't tell by my reviews, I'm a very proud home owner at Sherkston and my family and I love every minute we spend there.... planned correctly and with the right expectations you and your family will love it too!

Hope to see you at the beach! Feel free to send me a message with any questions you have and I will try to respond promptly!

Sean.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
18  Thank Sean C
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I honestly have to say that I am shocked at the number of negative reviews on here about Sherkston.

First and foremost, I am a parent and have never been concerned with my daughter's safety during our stays. It seems really unfair that people have been complaining about teenagers and adults swearing as that is not the fault of the park, rather the individuals and quite frankly that's a concern no matter where you go. The ammentities for children are fantastic and there is always lots to do. The security team is always present and handle situations if need be.

As for the beach... Really there's algae?? How can someone complain about that? Every morning the beach is cleaned by maintenance and they work hard to keep it clean. Yes, there are cars parked on the beach and boats in the lake (seems silly to say that...) but it adds to the great experience of what Sherkston is. The main beach at Wyldewood has an area for cars (middle) but on either end of the beach there are barriers where cars can't get through...if you are concerned about them ruining your view. I don't know why cars on a beach is an issue as it adds to the experience and great atmosphere. Cars do not speed down the beach nor do they block the view or inconvenience people. I have never met anyone there that isn't willing to turn music down or change a song when asked. Besides, the music and people are what makes Sherkston beach different than other places. It's people enjoying the view, the sun, and friends and family. There are also two other beaches, one being at the Quarry, where you will not find cars.

The restaurant there is now a Boston Pizza which is fantastic. The new food and beverage manager constantly goes out of his way to ensure that guests are met and satisfied. This past weekend we had my daughter's birthday party dinner there where they arranged to have the kids dress up in chef uniforms and go into the kitchen with the Chef to make their own pizzas. The kids loved this experience and the staff really went out of their way to make her day special (including a sign outside wishing her a happy birthday, balloons, sundae bar, etc). I couldn't be happier with the customer service I always find when I go there :)

The pools and activity area is always bustling with people and things to do. There are three water slides, 3 pools, a splash pad, and a hot tub for those looking to be in the water. The life guards are great and always very friendly and helpful to the kids. The mini putt area is being remodelled and looks amazing! They have increased not only it's size but also the quality. The other options and activities here are the daiquiri deck, high ropes challenge and rock wall, archery, trampolines, etc. if that is not enough, there is also a calendar explaining weekly events and activities for the kids... Chocolate bar bingo is always a hit!

People that have always come to Sherkston still share stories of great family memories, and I'm happy I get to make my own family memories there with friends and loved ones. It is a great place to relax and have fun and offers everything you could possibly be looking for and more. It's definitely something you need to experience for yourself whether it's partying for a long weekend on the beach or listening to the live bands, or relaxing and having quality family time swimming and watching fireworks. Vacations are what you make of them, not what others write about them so go in with an open mind as there is something for everyone.

As for those who didn't enjoy their experience, that is really too bad as I don't know anyone who doesn't have a great time when they go. I would hate to see a great place loose it's character for some of the other reviewers recommendations as I don't think that most of their issues need addressing.

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Corcork
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Sherkston shores is a beautiful resort. It seems they cater only to peak season though. The only thing this week open was the pool and splash pad. Hot tub was closed for cleaning on nice days instead of rainy ones. Zero activity for guests. When we arrived they immediately started to do heavy construction right beside the site we had rented for four days. Our campground was completely empty but the front desk parked us right beside a heavy construction zone. I've been woken every morning around 7-730 am and it continues well after five. What really gets me is there are tons of sites available here they could have placed us well away from this zone. We did move further away when we requested it same day, but even wearing ear plugs I've been woken every morning. I get the impression they don't want your business unless it's peak season. Most of the people in the park are unfriendly. It is a shame. They should be busy and ready for business in June. Not exactly a relaxing time away. It doesn't make any sense to me that you have to book Mon-Fri or Fri-Mon no single days if they cannot fill the park. We spent some time prior in two provincial parks which were solidly booked. Sorry Sherkston your doing it wrong.

Room Tip: Don't go in the off season.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank kathrynincanada
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Let me start by saying I'm an owner at Sherkston. That being said I have no intention to write a biased review. I've been reading through the reviews on here and I can't help but notice that people staying in "economical homes" seem to be the ones complaining. If you have ever been camping at one of Ontario's fine Provincial parks you will likely find a similar experience. The fact is at Sherkston there is simply more to do. I read a post that said the mini putt needs updating... Well guess what they are doing this winter? Thats right... Rebuilding the mini putt.

Be prepared to be "camping" or "vacationing" depending where you choose in the park to be with a LOT of people. This isn't a private cottage rental on some remote lake up north. This is Niagara's finest summer community. There will be a lot of people as this is a VERY popular spot. I read about one persons complaint that the beaches are dirty. Perhaps you didn't go to Wyldewood beach. It is groomed daily (my place is directly beach front there and I can personally guarantee that this is the case). I read a complaint the water is dirty... Are you kidding? Sherkson has no control over the water conditions of LAKE ERIE. Its a fact however that Sunset beach isn't as "clean" as Wyldewood beach however clean isn't the right word. They are literally on the same lake its more of an algae issue. Aside from these two beaches there is another beautiful beach at the Quarry.

Here the tips:

If you want more calm, more peaceful vacation spend the extra money and stay in the private gated Wyldewood community. (please don't misunderstand) if you head there on a long weekend expect to see some serious partying!

Get a spot on Wyldewood beach early in the day... it fills up fast. It is the nicest beach there and it is super clean and super fun. If you're brining small children keep your eyes on them as driving cars on the beach is permitted. I've personally never found this to be an issue as there is quite substantial traffic the speeds of beach drivers is only about 5 mph.

Enjoy the nightlife at the main restaurant/bar its awesome with great bands and even teen dance parties etc.

Read the signs. There are boards everywhere with the different daily activities posted. People complaining they didn't know must be blind because they are giant boards everywhere.

Having a problem with noise? Contact security. They are constantly driving around in marked vehicles with red lights on them. They drive past about every five to ten minutes and patrol the beach as well. (from my vast experience) people complaining this was going on 24 hours a day are nuts because quite frankly security doesn't allow it. Owners spend a lot of money on these places and security is there to enforce the rules. You will find the private areas (where people pay a lot more money) to be quieter.

The water slides are a blast and the kids love them!

If you find the restaurant over priced... you may be on more of a budget than you should be for a vacation. It's priced similar to any other tourist area. Try eating in Niagara Falls LOL. There are other options. Feel free to cook your own food and failing that there are some great restaurants just outside of the resort that will be happy to feed you and have excellent food at great prices. Personally I recommend getting a Pizza in Port Colborne (neighbouring city) at Super Mario's its amazing their wings are good too.

Check out the online maps of the resorts and ask to book a specific site. Pick somewhere that specifically meets your needs for your vacation. If you're booking strictly on price you'll be in a tent furthest from the beach. As you get closer to the beaches you will find the prices rise however so does the quality of your stay and the quality of your neighbours.

Don't bring your own firewood. There is a service there that will deliver to your site wood. The prices are very reasonable. You can also purchase at the store however its far better to just have it delivered and the price is very good. I actually had a problem with the wood from them one time and they literally came and got my fire going. They are great guys!

If you need something call the office and let them know. Last year I had a wasp nest and called the office they had a maintenance guy there in less than 10 minutes. (no charge).

Parking: this is an important note. When parking on the road in front of a site (such as the case in Wyldewood) your area starts at the back edge of the home. The property lines are such that the side you walk out on is yours. As such park from the back edge of the home to the back edge of the next home. Those are your spots.

As for the park being clean or not... it is clean and a wonderful spot for families. Very safe, fun activities, great units and excellent value. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. If you are used to a hotel and have never been camping spend the extra money or lower your expectations. I love to travel and outside of our getaway at Sherkston my family and I travel extensively and enjoy many different types of vacation.

Enjoy all Sherkston has to offer. I'll look forward to seeing you and your family on the beach or on the water! (Jet boats are awesome for Sherkston).

Room Tip: Wyldewood is known as the most exclusive area. Quarry is very nice as well. Sunset beach can have algae issues. There is a new fitness centre coming and last year there is a fitness centre but it is exclusively for owners.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family