and 1 more site!
La Loma Linda: Bungalows, Yoga and Feldenkrais
Ranked #1 of 17 Zipolite B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I live in Mexico City and have been travelling to Zipolite for nearly every vacation I have had for the past 4 years. I stayed in La Loma Linda on my first trip but because of finances wasn't able to return there until my most recent trip in April 2012.

I was completely blown away by the room I stayed in on my first trip. It was big and airy, had a hammock and large bed with lovely clean, soft sheets and pillows. There was a small refrigerator in the room (which is a real treat in Zipolite, and not a common one!) and a lovely outdoor bathroom and shower.

The landscaping and design of the cabanas and whole site is stunning, there are various cabanas built into a small hill, which is just a one-minute walk across the street from the beach. From their you enter the beach almost right in the center so have the choice of walking about 10-15 minutes to La Playa del Amor at the left extreme of the beach or about 10-15 minutes towards the Roca Blanca section of the beach, or about 10 minutes to town by either beach or road.

The owners and their children are great and after my first trip I would often go back to visit them just to say hello. They also offer Feldenkrais classes or one-to-one sessions and along with Brigitte from Solstice Yoga offer some of the best (and interesting!) yoga classes at the top of their hill.

I was finally able to say with them again in April 2012 and stayed at the very top of the hill with one of the nicest views I have ever seen, from anywhere, nevermind from a hotel room I was staying in! There was a fan and small fridge in the room, a lovely outdoor bathroom and shower and a patio and hammock with nothing but gorgeous plants, beatiful and natural decoration and amazing views anywhere I looked.

Again the sheets and room were clean and soft and comfortable and very well laid out.

While the rooms are on the expensive side for Zipolite, they are worth it. I have stayed in many other places and I think the extra minute from the beach is better than being on the beach itself because of the humidity in rooms right near the water. There were also considerably less mosquitoes up on the hill because of the air flow in the well-built cabanas. I slept better in their rooms than in any other place I have slept in Zipolite.

If I could, I would live in any of their rooms, the place is amazing!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 March 2012

We stayed in the Casita cabana for ten nights after visiting 5 back to back cities in SE Asia and the USA. Casita offered us the perfect antidote to the previous destinations. A really rustic (yet well equipped) cabana with stunning views of Zipolite beach coupled with a great kitchen, well appointed bedroom, great outdoor space and outdoor bathroom - offered us everything we dreamed of. The cabana was spotlessly clean as well, with daily maid service.

As backpackers we relished the low season prices, hot weather, laid back environment and time to chill out. The hospitality from Deiter and Katia was first class and the cocktails we shared with them whilst watching the sunset over Zipolite was awesome.

La Loma Linda has been the highlight of our five months traveling so far, a truly chilled out place where you can recharge the batteries to maximum effect.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ross B
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I just spent my 2nd year in a row at Loma Linda, and my 6th out of 7 years in Zipolite. I've been going to Zipolite for these many years to do yoga retreats with Brigitte and they've only become better since the location of the retreats changed to Zipolite. I've stayed in Colabri and Sol and both are wonderful. The rooms are incredibly clean and the entire facility is unbelieveably beautiful. Katja and Dieter are the owners and hosts. Dieter is a gardner and landscaper and what he's done to the land at Loma Linda is amazing. The entire place is on a hill and at it's highest point is the highest hill overlooking the beach there. The views are stunning both at the top where the palapa is for yoga and feldenkrais, and from the bungalow where you stay. All except one have incredible views. If you attend one of the yoga retreats the food is incredible. If not, the local fare is also amazing. You can walk into the village and eat at a number of good restaurants, or you can eat at any of the local places on the beach which are mostly run by local families and the food in these places is usually even better and cheaper. Zipolite beach is wonderful but the surf there can be dangerous and daunting. Not to worry. You can take a collectivo or a taxi to Puerto Angel, or San Augustinillo, or Mazunte for some easier waters. While other parts of Mexico have dangerous reputations, I have always felt safe and never had a problem in any of these towns. I've gone there with lot's of friends, as a solo, and with a love and each time was great. And best of all the price is right. The only thing that one might complain about is that there is no hot water. But after taking my daughers there one year (they were 21 & 19 that year) and hearing no complaints from the about no hot water I can't really see how this is a real problem for anyone. If you can't tell so far from this review let me be clear. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 December 2011

A series of thatch-roofed palapas climbing a ridge overlooking the beach, La Loma Linda is the very model of a modern tropical paradise. It's not for those who require luxuries such as hot water, but for those content with peace, quiet, spectacular scenery, beautiful gardens, and gracious, welcoming hosts, there's no better place. Yoga and Feldenkrais on site are luxuries enough. I'd live there all the time if I could.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CharlesP723
Reviewed 8 September 2011

If doing very little except for the above is your idea of a great vacation then La Loma Linda is a great place to do it. We spent a week here and the bungalows are great with good security and privacy. The views from Sol are excellent and you can walk to the main part of Ziploite in 10 mins.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank junkscience89
Reviewed 28 July 2011

The title says it all....
For the past three years I have made my journey from Vancouver Island to this wonderful area including Puerto Angel, Zipolite, San Augustinillo and Manzunte and each year I have stayed at this wonderful place called la loma Linda in Zipolite. La Loma Linda is central to Zipolite perched on a rock over looking the beach and affording spectacular views of the sunsets. My personal preference is to stay in the cabana called Colibri a outdoor shower sink and eco toilet are very tidy with house cleaning services daily with the nicest staff. The Cabana itself has a sitting work desk, couch and large King size bed with the best of sheets.....and of course the bed net. ......much needed in Mexico as you never know when a little critter might come crawling.... . Wireless internet also available.
The owners are Katia and Dieter Trautwein and their two boys Diego and Mateo....... beautiful family and friendly as hell.
For short periods of time I have stayed in other accommodations but nothing comes even close.
After three years I consider the Trautwein's my friends and they make me feel like a part of their home. ......... La Loma Linda - A place Like Home.
Gary

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Amiogo_Garaldo
Reviewed 23 June 2011

We had such a lovely stay at La Loma Linda. I had been to Zipolite before, so I knew the beach and some of the locals restaurants, but I had never seen La Loma Linda. We stayed in El Sol - a spacious bright room with an outdoor and very private shower, a deluxe bed and a fridge to keep our Corona and fruit cold! The view to the whole stretch of beach was spectacular, the landscaping is beautiful, and the accomodation are clean and well attended daily. We stayed for a yoga retreat with Brigitte, which was fantastic and got to enjoy some Feldenkrais with Katya. After the deep relaxation of her class I decided to enjoy a private session - WOW. What profound experience. We stayed for 2 weeks - I would have loved to stay longer. Katya and Dieter were gracious hosts, helpful, hospitable and generous. We had a few internet challenges and they always went out of their way to ensure we could connect and take care of business. I am planning to return early in 2012 and will be so very happy to arrive at my Mexican home away from home.

Room Tip: La Luna & El Sol are fabulous