“Return to La Loma Linda”

La Loma Linda: Bungalows, Yoga and Feldenkrais
Ranked #1 of 15 Zipolite B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2014

La Loma Linda, Zipolite Beach, Mexico Dec 2013

We just finished our second Christmas yoga retreat at La Loma Linda and could not be happier with our accommodations. It is not “on the beach”, and we have stayed at other places on the beach, but for the extra few minutes walk, the charm, hospitality and view from La Loma Linda more than compensates.

Spread out over a hillside the private bungalows are all unique and special, most with a private view to the beach. In the near distance roosters and donkeys let you know that it is a rural setting – a delightful alarm clock to the sound of pounding surf! The place is spotless and the staff are always ready to help. They have been part of the operation for years.

Perhaps that is what makes it so special. Dieter and Katja, and their two boys and the staff are all one extended family, and we felt part of their home. Dieter is a landscape architect, so you can imagine how the carefully selected plants create an artist’s tropical garden. Katja is a professional Feldenkreis practitioner who holds group sessions or private consults to help ones body move better - before the wear and tear of life took its toll. Her classes are a rejuvenating compliment to the yoga experience.

The daily drop-in yoga classes are among the best we have ever experienced and have a loyal following.

Room Tip: Our favorite bunglows; Sol or Csita
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 January 2014

That's what everyone said as I packed in my Canadian rain gear and headed off to sunny Zipolite and the magical oasis of La Loma Linda. The design of this property is a swirl of flora that winds and spirals towards the sunny skies. The rooms are spacious, clean and uncluttered. Outdoor tiled sinks and cold showers are cleverly worked into the mix. While choirs of crickets sing nighttime lullabies, the rhythm of the waves will lull you sleep under the gauze of your mosquito netting. Breakfasts by Fernando are delicious and Pedro, the groundskeeper, offers perpetual smiles with helpfulness.
I loved my 8 day stay here and took advantage of endless beach walks, yoga classes in Loma Linda's yoga studio and just hanging out in my hammock! From the glow of sunrise to the fire of sunset La Loma Linda provided the best space for the dream and all I had to do was live it.

Room Tip: I stayed in Torre, but sometimes the music from the beach could be heard. Ask for the quieter rooms...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank dreema
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I was lucky enough to stay at Loma Linda without knowing anything about Zipolite. I stayed in two different rooms, Papaya and Choza. The descriptions on their website don't do it justice. Papaya had a huge, comfortable bed and composting toillet. Choza was smaller but had a dynamite view. Buildings are high quality, the view is spectacular and the yoga was some of the best I've ever done. Katya was very accommodating when the daughter I was traveling with got ill, and there were many days that I never left my hammock until it was time for dinner. Zipolite is relatively primitive, and these cabins are not what you would expect at a fancy resort, so there is no air conditioning or hot water, but I found them to have everything I needed. I always felt safe and looked after and they were very clean. After having a chance to look at some of the other accommodations down on the Zipolite beach, I would absolutely prefer to be up off the beach on the hill overlooking the waves and sunset.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 June 2012

When you can see the waves crashing from your bed, you know you've got it right. Beautiful views and tastefully decorated rooms. The only thing keeping me from giving it 5 stars was that the beach in front of La Loma Linda at Zipolite is not the greatest, but you can walk to better places on Zipolite in 10 minutes, or take a cheap cab over to the beach at Bahia de La Luna.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Once a year, a small group of yogis travels down to Zipolite, Oaxaca for a week long yoga retreat. Our teacher was lucky enough to find the amazing bungalows at Loma Linda the second year and we've been going back ever since.

La Loma Linda is set into the hillside, directly across from Zipolite beach. You truly have the best of everything- breathtaking views of the ocean and town, gentle breezes cooling down the heat of the afternoons, and easy access to the beach- just go down the bougainvillea-covered stairway (with an amazing view all the while!) and cross the small street, and there it is- the wide open beach! To your left, a lovely lady sells ice cold, fresh young coconuts. (Watching an elderly woman machete the top off your coconut and then delicately place a flower on top is something else.) A walk down the beach leads to plenty of restaurants and cafes, and the center of town is within walking distance if you want to grocery shop, have a drink or go salsa dancing.

In harmony with nature, the bungalows themselves feel like part of the landscape. Each is unique and extremely well made- no gaps in windows and doors when closed, no janky craftsmanship, and no cut corners. If you're out for the day and leave doors and windows closed, it's still cool and bug free when you return. Everything is tidy and smells clean, from the linens to the towels! The beds are comfy, the mosquito nets are effective, and the fans keep you cool if you need to adjust to a tropical climate. Each bungalow is different, and has its own character... all of them are colorful, artistic and wonderful, with small creative details you'll notice if you look carefully. Dieter and Katia get the best hammocks- they are comfortable and you can lounge in them for hours.

I have stayed in a few different bungalows over the years (and seen many others of friends staying) and all of them have been great! My favorite is Casita, which has beautiful flowering plants, a front porch/balcony area with hammocks and a table and chairs, all looking out to sea. The kitchen is great if you like to make your own food. A hat tip to mod cons, there are fridges in every room, and wifi if you want it. Each bungalow feels private, and has a different lovely view.

Keep in mind, they are bungalows- that is, it's not a hotel, so think palm thatched roofs and (beautiful!) wood and adobe construction. Designed with the help of a master architect, they are the most solid, well built bungalows I have ever seen. As far as bungalows go, I don't think you'll find better than this- if you've never stayed in bungalows, this is a great place to try it. The yoga studio and the main house, where the hosts live, is pretty amazing.

Yes, it's a bit rustic- I prefer "natural" ;) There isn't hot water in the outdoor showers, but with the climate, the fresh, cool water is really all you need. You wont want hot. Depending on which bungalow you stay in, there may be a flush toilet or there may be an ecological compost toilet. I've stayed in bungalows with both and the design is such that you don't really notice much of a difference- in other words, the eco compost toilets are actually really nice, well made toilets- there is even a separate porcelain urinal for dudes. No odor and no funk, and the bathrooms are super cute in design. It's a natural setting, so yeah, there are bugs around- but usually outside your bungalow, and not in. Do the obvious in a tropical climate: bring bug spray, and close the doors at dusk.

The grounds are vibrant and colorful, cared for lovingly by unfailingly helpful hosts Dieter and Katia. The yoga studio is clean, lovely, and well supplied. They use sustainable practices, and each year we've returned has seen more and more improvement. The yoga center is an active part of the community, and the kids have a dance class in studio once a week- really cute. Each year, the place just gets better and better.

We've been up and down the beach over the years, and tried a lot of the cafes and restaurants with no problems and lots of success. There are a couple small hotels in the area that have AC and TVs and stuff like that, but the natural beauty, amazing location, and homey feel of Loma Linda can't be beat... if you're in the area, try to stay a few nights here and enjoy these very special, quintessential Zipolite beach bungalows.

Room Tip: Check out the Loma Linda website for complete descriptions and photos for each room- although the ph...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank xstala
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We visit Mexico annually and were thrilled this year to have found La Loma Linda! The hosts are a talented multi-lingual, multi-generational family. We enjoyed our time there so much that we extended our stay, cancelling our return to Oaxaca City. The incredible grounds have a diverse mix of flora which invite a variety of colorful birds that we watched from our porch hammock. We stayed in the well equipped Casita and La Luna, took part in yoga daily as well as Feldenkrais classes. We are looking forward to returning next year with our adult children and grandkids.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I live in Mexico City and have been travelling to Zipolite for nearly every vacation I have had for the past 4 years. I stayed in La Loma Linda on my first trip but because of finances wasn't able to return there until my most recent trip in April 2012.

I was completely blown away by the room I stayed in on my first trip. It was big and airy, had a hammock and large bed with lovely clean, soft sheets and pillows. There was a small refrigerator in the room (which is a real treat in Zipolite, and not a common one!) and a lovely outdoor bathroom and shower.

The landscaping and design of the cabanas and whole site is stunning, there are various cabanas built into a small hill, which is just a one-minute walk across the street from the beach. From their you enter the beach almost right in the center so have the choice of walking about 10-15 minutes to La Playa del Amor at the left extreme of the beach or about 10-15 minutes towards the Roca Blanca section of the beach, or about 10 minutes to town by either beach or road.

The owners and their children are great and after my first trip I would often go back to visit them just to say hello. They also offer Feldenkrais classes or one-to-one sessions and along with Brigitte from Solstice Yoga offer some of the best (and interesting!) yoga classes at the top of their hill.

I was finally able to say with them again in April 2012 and stayed at the very top of the hill with one of the nicest views I have ever seen, from anywhere, nevermind from a hotel room I was staying in! There was a fan and small fridge in the room, a lovely outdoor bathroom and shower and a patio and hammock with nothing but gorgeous plants, beatiful and natural decoration and amazing views anywhere I looked.

Again the sheets and room were clean and soft and comfortable and very well laid out.

While the rooms are on the expensive side for Zipolite, they are worth it. I have stayed in many other places and I think the extra minute from the beach is better than being on the beach itself because of the humidity in rooms right near the water. There were also considerably less mosquitoes up on the hill because of the air flow in the well-built cabanas. I slept better in their rooms than in any other place I have slept in Zipolite.

If I could, I would live in any of their rooms, the place is amazing!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple