“Nice place but we had a terrible room”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Posada Mexico

Posada Mexico
Ranked #3 of 15 Zipolite B&B and Inns
Brooklyn, New York
“Nice place but we had a terrible room”
Reviewed 1 January 2013

My boyfriend and I didn’t realize everything books way in advance for Christmas, but I was grateful to find a room for us for five days at Posada Mexico, even if it didn’t have a private bathroom and was right next to the kitchen/restaurant/party area. They did warn us in advance, but unfortunately, I didn’t realize how bad it would all be.

The restaurant is lovely. We went to happy hour several times – two for one drinks, and free yummy snacks. It’s a great spot to watch the sunset. We also ate breakfast there a few times, which was quite nice.

The entire place is designed with quite a lovely style, really pretty actually.

When we arrived, it took them a while to figure out who we were and that we had a room. Finally, they were like, “Oh, there’s no bathroom. You still want it?”

Our room was small but cute. The bathroom situation wasn’t great – we had keys all attached (so if my boyfriend went to the bathroom I couldn’t go to the bathroom or get into our room if I wasn’t there or into the locker) and others had the same key – so you had to knock and hope the person heard you over the noise and that you didn’t barge in on anyone. The shower was cold water and you had to hold it down to make it work the entire time.

Our mosquito net was not set up right and it was impossible to seal it. (I’ve been to the Amazon several times and slept with mosquito nets there and elsewhere so I know how to use them.) I slept, sweating, with a long-sleeved shirt. My boyfriend woke up miserable and covered with bites and wanting to leave. I was bitten up (except for where my shirt and shorts were).

Also, the room is RIGHT next to the restaurant and they were having parties every night – fun. Trapeze, circus sort of things. Loud loud music.

Unfortunately, because of the combination of things (bad mosquito net, noisy area, terrible bathroom situation), we left early after just one night and moved to the comfortable Brisa Marina Posada right nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank cheriefrombrooklyn
Posada Mexico Z, Manager at Posada Mexico, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
A sincere apology.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay at our posada.

We endeavor to inform each of our guests about the characteristics of our inn as: saving water sprinklers at room temperature which leads us to contribute to energy savings, however, another apology for not being cleared on your arrival. Also, our interest of welcome the performance and musicians artists visiting our beach and present them to the pleasure of the audience, specially our guest in the last week of the year, most of them come to celebrate and have fun and usually we warn the new guest about this situation, sorry we were not enough clear. All our mosquito net are new, handmade cotton to avoid the heat and of course the mosquitos, once again, so sorry it did not work for you. We understand that it is not very comfortable sharing the bathroom, anyway, thanks for your suggestion of double keychains.

We really appreciate your feedback as this brings us to improve service and also we are so happy you enjoyed our service several times at our restaurant. We also thank you very much, your beautiful comments about our posada style.

Sincerelly

Irma Aviña ulloa
Posada México.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Vernon, Canada
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Zipolite is one of my favorite beach towns. Posada Mexico is a decent hotel right in town and on the beach. I had one of the rooms with private bath. It was spacious and suited me fine. I thought it was a bit pricey for being at the back of the property (near the road) and with no hot water - although the water is luke warm so, not too bad.

Good Italian restaraunt.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Zipolite is a must for those hesitating to take the risk (distance).

It's quite a dangerous beach, however, if you walk all the way to the left (facing the beach) you'll find a spot to swim in the afternoons.

Posada Mexico is a gorgeous place, no luxury but really nice if you seek for peace and good vibe. Marisol is an excellent host. Food is good.

I'll surely be back to Zipolite and of course I'll return to Posada Mexico.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Tarbita
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Had a fantastic 4 night stay in the Posado Mexico, La Playa, Zipolite - Maire Sol and all the Crew are super chilled out, while providing a very professional service with extremely tasty food in the restutant. 10 out of 10 ;) Emma & Shane

• Stayed August 2012
New York
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Posada Mexico is a lovely place on the beach in the middle of Zipolite's adoquin (Avenida Roca Blanca). I checked out rooms at 8-10 different hotels in town before deciding to stay here, and I am sure I made the right choice. This place isn't luxurious so much as serviceable: cold water pull shower and the rooms are due for some sprucing-up; but for the price, it's hard to beat the location. Anyway, you don't go to Zipolite for luxury, and this is one of the more pleasant-looking options in town.

I had the lower level beach front room "Maya" with private bathroom, fan, safety box and very firm 4-poster platform bed with mosquito net. Each room has it's own hammock patio in the tropical garden courtyard; Maya also includes a small beach front terrace accessed through large wooden doors which open up almost one entire wall of the room. With the doors wide open all week, it was almost like sleeping on the beach, with the sounds of the surf and ample cool breeze, but without the mosquitoes.

The restaurant is superb! They serve from an extensive breakfast menu until 1:00, then lunch from 2-4 and dinner starting at 6 or 6:30 until midnight. The lunch and dinner chefs hail from Italy, so specialties include delicious thin-crust pizzas, pasta and other Italian gourmet dishes. The pizza - well-known around town - drew raves; and the roasted ham coupled with a lightly-dressed tomato salad was another favorite with our beach crew. It's obvious the ingredients are top-quality and very fresh. (Where did they find the sweetest onions I've ever tasted?) This is some of the most inventive cooking in Zipolite; but if you are instead in the mood for a simpler Mexican snack, their frijoladas can't be beat!

There are regular tables and low cocktail tables, all under palapas right on the beach, for dining with your feet in the sand; or take your meals at one of the tables in the restaurant proper, closer to the kitchen. In the evenings, gas lamps are lit along the perimeter of the restaurant to create a romantic atmosphere (and provide a beacon when returning from a walk on the beach at night).

Service here was by far the best I had during my 8 days in Zipolite: experienced, friendly waitresses and a gracious hostess/manager who worked in hospitality in the United States and speaks Spanish, Italian and English (and, it seems, knows everyone in town). After just a little time in Mexico it's easy to recognize that the service at this restaurant is a notch above the norm. They are efficient without being rushed, and management balances treating you like a special customer with also making you feel you are part of the Posada Mexico family.

I had an incredible time in Zipolite, and I will never forget the sights, the sounds, the smells and the tastes of Posada Mexico. If you are going to Zipolite, I highly recommend staying here. If however you choose another hotel, do yourself a favor and stop by for a meal and to say hello to the wonderful people at Posada Mexico.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
5 Thank NYCTraveler1967
Rotterdam
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We called from Europe to make a reservation for the busy time between Christmas and New Year. The owner (Marisol) guaranteed a cabana arriving. We called a few times and also from the airport. When we arrived she didn't have a cabana and only could offer a hammock! Because it's was New Year it was impossible to find another place to stay. Very unreliable woman. Never go there!

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Okkienl
england
Reviewed 3 June 2009

We stayed in the room with a private bathroom. The room had a very open feel with no glass in the windows, just shutters. Our room had a small area with hammock and deck chair surrounded by plants. The room was clean and colourful and decorated with traditional textiles. The bed had a mosquito net provided.

The location was fantastic, right on the beach, and within minutes of places to eat. Our visit was in low season and the restaurant / bar didn't seem to be open all throughout the day but served a great breakfast.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple