“Typical Accommodation for this Mexican village. Clean and priced right.”
Review of Villa Escondida

and 1 more site!
Villa Escondida
Steubenville, OH
“Typical Accommodation for this Mexican village. Clean and priced right.”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

We were placed here by the management at La Loma Linda property which was hosting a yoga retreat. La Loma Linda was filled, so they have a cooperative agreement with the VE owner for accommodations.

This is an older property but is basically well-kept, clean, and tidy. The other reviews about the roosters, barking dogs, and crying babies are accurate. However, this seems to be the typical Mexican close-quartered experience. There is no AC so there are lots of windows and open spaces that let in the vitality and life happening outside.

If you want peace, quiet and a little more luxury pass this up. However if you're open to the real Mexican small-town experience give it a try. I would stay here again.

Interesting to note that when I arrived, I met the owner, Guliana. She asked if we needed help with luggage which we did not. She pointed to our bungalow and a worker from the grounds gave us our keys and showed us around the bungalow. There was nothing to sign or register or anything!! (La Loma LInda had all my contact info for the yoga retreat, but VE did not make me duplicate any of that to stay there. I thought that was quite nice and trusting.)

Also, nobody spoke English at VE. You should have some basic Spanish skills in order to communicate or ask for things.

Room Tip: Get a bungalow with a small kitchenette. There is a stove for warming things and a refrigerator to...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 7 December 2013

I don't recommend anybody to stay at Villa Escondida. It's isolated and you can easily get assault at night . To get to the Villa Escondida, you have to walk a rutted dirt track and on Sundays there are drunk Mexicans men lying on the floor. Few weeks ago there was a robbery too, So I decided this place wasn't safe for me and left. Trying to get my money back now, cos I paid half to reserve it. The owner told me that due to the cancellation policy she is keeping 1450 Mex . I got a deal for 1 month and Giulia told me to cancel with booking.com. (i did my booking firstly with them). Thanks to this bad decision Of cancelling with booking.com , my holidays are ruined cos not gonna have enough money for the rest of the month.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mon887
Laredo, Texas
Reviewed 5 November 2013

Maybe it's me, but I thought the descriptions made it sound like it was a stroll to the beach and restaurants. Granted I could hear (not see) the ocean in the distance, but a stroll it's not, especially at night when you have to negotiate rutted dirt roads in the dark. Overall I found the atmosphere surly and the surroundings seedy.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Burt Y
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 April 2013

I stayed in one of the bungalows for six weeks and it was clean, compact, and had a nice little kitchenette. I felt well looked after and liked the location (6-7 minutes walk from the beach) as it got me away from the loud music from the beachside bars.

However, I found the villa itself to be extremely noisy and when a friend came to visit we paid to stay somewhere else because my friend could not stand the noise that prevented us from sleeping properly. My bungalow was next to Guiliana's place and would often here talking very loudly (yelling) at people over the phone or coming by to talk to her. Her dog would also bark at the slightest provocation and there was another dog behind the property that barked until 2 or 3am some nights. That was all topped off with roosters on the villa's property that would start crowing at 4am some mornings and having a screaming child on the balcony next door to us. it was a good night if I managed to get a few hours sleep.

i had an okay experience but would not return to Villa Escondida. It is a beautiful place with a great location but the incessant noise within the property was not conducive to a pleasant vacation for me or my friend.

Room Tip: Avoid the bungalow next to Guiliana (Bungalow #13)
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Taipay
Sonoma County, CA
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Villa Escondida is off the beach, and that is a good thing! The beach in Zipolite can be noisy, both the party scene and the waves crashing. Many of the beach rooms in Zipolite are really substandard. After a long day in the sand, it is wonderful to take that 5 minute walk to Juliana´s paradise. The compound is completely enclosed in a tropical garden so your security is absolute. Some rooms have an ocean view, they all have access to a private kitchen or a communal one, they are immaculately clean and well appointed. The common area is a great place to make new friends. The staff is friendly and accomodating. Their price point is really on the low side, and if you stay a month or more like many of us do, the published price is slashed!
I have been in and around this area for 7 years. It really is the best deal in town.

Room Tip: Numbers 1 and 6 have two floors, a bed, desk and dresser in each. Very private for two pals who are...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank calgalmex
Michigan
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Guliania has spent decades building & improving her residencia, Villa Escondida. The Villa has a lot charm - beautiful terraced stone work & landscaping overwhelm the 1st time visitor. She rewards long-stay guests w/ 1/2 prices. Turi, the general manager & evening cook is great - warm & welcoming. Guiliana is stern & demanding, but if she didn't run a tight ship, Villa Escondida would be as dysfunctional as the rest of Zipolite - a bad thing. And lastly, we should remember the Villa is a (for profit) business - not a commune.

Room Tip: Book early...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank John L
Zipolite
Reviewed 1 March 2012

The place is nice: it's on top of the hills surrounding Zipolite beach, just 10 minutes walking far from the beach.

Rooms are clean, almost everyone has bathroom and some of them also has a kitchen. We stayed in bungalow with a beautiful view of the ocean, where you can see amazing sunsets.

Internet connection is quite good, there is a restaurant open until 14 (but if you ask Turi to prepare something for dinner, maybe you can taste something special), satellite TV and a common, big kitchen. In front of Villa Escondida there's also the Solstice Yoga Center, that I strongly recommend.

If you are looking for a peaceful place where to spend your workingholidays, I think that Villa Escondida is the place you are looking for.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple