“Faulty Towers”

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Kinnitty
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Fawlty Towers

I bought a deal for this hotel on Living Social and it included afternoon tea, Unfortunately I did not read the small print as the voucher was only valid for Monday to Thursday which was something I could not avail of. I contacted the hotel and they agreed to let me use it at the weekend for a supplement of 30 euro. I was travelling from Dublin and found the hotels website very unclear in relation to directions so I used maps on the iphone to get me to Kinnity, which was a disaster. Eventually we got to the hotel and checked in. The receptionist did not offer to have the luggage sent to our room which was in the top floor at the back of the hotel in the Seret room. When we arrived in the room it was a very big room with a very unique décor, The décor the hotel was very unique and fitted in nicely to the castle medieval style. The room which was a state room one of the superior rooms had a number of flaws. There was a portable dimplex which was in the room and was broken. The fittings for the plugs were loose with wires almost exposed. There was a 19 inch Walker TV in the room about 5 meters from the bed. I searched for a half hour around the room for the remote control before I gave up and rang reception and asked where it was or could I get a replacement and I was told and I quote “ There is lots of remotes missing in the rooms and we have none at reception”. This is a four star hotel I was shocked at this. We arrived late so we went down to the bar to get a drink. We were told the dungeon bar was opening at 10 pm. We got a drink at the main bar and went down to the dungeon bar. There was about ten people in the bar waiting when the band was setting up and no one had a drink. The barman was shocked when he came down and said to everyone in the bar. I hope your not thirsty as it will be a while before the bar is open. The atmosphere in bar was only made enjoyable by the band and two singer who were very entertaining and gave a great trad/folk session to the ten or so people in the bar. We went to our room at about twelve. We were awoken from half two until about four. There was a corporate function on in the hotel and once it was finished they remained outside the hotel talking shouting a making noise awaiting there bus. The noise was so loud we thought the window was open . We eventually woke up and the next morning and I checked the window. The window was actually broker 1 pane was cracked the other pain had dropped and there was a gap that let in the wind and the noise. Luckily it was a calm and warm night otherwise the wind would have howled. We went for breakfast which was fine. I then went to have a bath before we left in the freestanding bath. I ran the tap and went about washing my teeth. I turned around to check how much of the bath was filled and I could see the bath full of black dirt coming out of the tap. Obviously the fact the taps were on full blast knocked loose so gung in the pipes. Needless to say I did not have a bath. The flush on the toilet need to be pressed about 10 times before the toilet would flush. We went to check out before our afternoon tea and stood around waiting to be checked out. There was no order to the check out. I had to pay my bill and was never given a receipt. We arrive in for afternoon tea. We were abandoned in a room with a pot of luke warm tea and a cake stand. The standard of afternoon tea was poor in comparison to other hotel we stayed in we were abandoned. We were waiting twenty minutes to be served The scones were burned a rock hard. We left after 20 mins.

I was very disappointed in this hotel. I was really looking forward to the stay in the hotel the surrounding grounds have become overgrown compared to the way they looked during the most haunted filming of an episode for Living. The service compared to other similar style hotel was disappointing. The fact that it is a castle does not excuse the standard that should be expected of a four star hotel in terms of the room maintenance and fixtures and fitting. However the hotel keeps very much to the original style of the castle which is unique.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
8  Thank David B
kinnittymanagement, General Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Dear David B,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Kinnitty Castle Hotel for your stay. Most of the deal vouchers that we do are for midweek so I am happy that our team we able to accommodate you on a weekend night, I just apologise that it was not to the standard that you expected. I am surprised that no help was offered to you with your luggage, as the room you stayed in was at the top of the castle, with no elevators it is sometimes hard to reach this room with bags so as part of our service we always offer assistance with luggage, I will speak to our front office team in relation to this to ensure it does not happen again.
It is a requirement to have TV’s in all our rooms, although they do not suit the décor and we try to make them as inconspicuous as possible, we do try to offer as many guest amenities as we can in our rooms and we will look at improving the visibility of the TV in this particular room.
I am also quite upset at how you were spoken to on 2 occasions by members of our team, with on-going customer service training throughout all departments this is not something that should have happened and I will investigate this further.
Correctly, we did have a corporate function on this particular night; I am sorry that they disturbed your sleep.
Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered during your stay to my attention as it is only with customer feedback that we can improve the standards of service that we offer to our guests and I will introduce measures to ensure that the above are rectified.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Disappointing. The building itself and the courtyard are quite beautiful. The food was very good and staff nice, breakfast was really tasty. But there is a really bad sense of neglect to all of the public areas and our room was filthy - hair (someone else's) on the dresser, clumps of dust everywhere, a crunchy-feeling if you walk barefoot in the bedroom, and cobwebs in every corner of the room. The four-poster bed was not really a king-size, but was two mattresses pushed together. The bathroom had just been kind of skimmed clean, not really properly cleaned. Its not a question of being old (which is the charm of a castle hotel), but just neglect / bad housekeeping.

It was also REALLY noisy until 3am because of the wedding celebration - as in REALLY loud music - so if you are coming to a wedding, but don't want to be up until 3am, then consider a local B&B instead.

Overall, I would never stay in the hotel again based on my experience, but the problems could be fixed by some deep cleaning and a little TLC of the place. The building is very charming.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank onthemove17

Dear onthemove 17
Thank you for choosing Kinnitty Castle Hotel and for your stay. I am sorry to see that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We try are best to offer good hospitality, food and accommodation but on this occasion we did not meet all the requirements for your stay. Some of our rooms have twin beds (these are 2 double beds attached in one 4 poster unit) this must have been the room that was allocated to you. Given the age of the building, rooms are deep cleaned on a regular basis so this must have been an oversight of our housekeepers. I am glad that you enjoyed the décor, surroundings, food and charm that we try to bring to our guests and I hope that if you return sometime in the future we will be able to offer you a more enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

My family and I booked 2 courtyard rooms for 1 nights stay here on 29/08/14. After almost 5 hours driving we turned up into the private forest lined road towards the castle. I caught a glimpse of it through a trees and as it came into full view i was awe struck at how beautiful it was.
we were much earlier than the normal check in time but the reception staff did their upmost to accommodate us. When we were shown to our rooms i couldn't believe it...the hotel staff had upgraded us to the main castle!!! We stayed in the Bernard room and the Thomas room..these rooms where absolutely beautiful.
prior to arrival the reception staff sent us a welcome email really nice touch. Something else i noticed is all of the staff i encountered always smiled something that is rare in this day and age.
I could write for hours about how lovely this place is but i will close with...Fantastic food..rooms and staff really peaceful and warm place..KINNITTY CASTLE you are MAGICAL.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Paul A

Dear Paul A,

Thank you for taking the time to review Kinnitty Castle Hotel. I was happy to read that you enjoyed your stay and our staff were friendly and accommodating towards you and your family.
Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we would love to welcome you back in the future

Reviewed 25 July 2014

The room was incredibly charming. The food was really very good. My niece's wedding was an absolute fairy tale, and our visit from the ghost on our last night made the experience complete. He was a bit noisy, but quite handsome. Surprisingly, I wasn't scared. I would go back in a heartbeat!

The bathroom didn't exactly have ALL the luxuries of home - but that was part of its charm!

Room Tip: The viking bed is really cool - but there are others that are more comfortable
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Altajoe
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

Dear Altajoe

Thank you for your review and your positive comments, I am glad you enjoyed your stay and found the wedding you attended enjoyable. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Reviewed 23 July 2014

The castle was really the only let down we had on our ireland vacation. The outside grounds are nicely kept and the castle looks great from the outside. Once we went in though it just looks old and in need of repair. Not 1600's old more like 1950's old. The public areas look and feel run down,and our room was dirty,dusty and just seemed unkept. Now I can only imagine how hard and expensive it must be to renovate and maintain properly , but we were just underwhelmed. However the staff was nice and very helpful.
If I was going to stay in the are again i would check out the b&b at slieve bloom lounge or spinners b&b , while they are not castles the people were great there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ozzy1036

Dear Ozzy1036
Thank you for your review. I was sorry to hear that your stay with us was not as comfortable as you had imagined it would be. The Castle fits the decor of a particular gothic period in history with authentic furnishing to match, unfortunately this is not to everybody’s taste but we do try our best to make sure that our guests feel at home as much as possible. I am glad that you found our staff friendly and attending

Reviewed 23 July 2014

We stayed here from 18th-20th July 2014. From the moment we arrived, Kinnitty Castle lived up to our expectations. Ater a quick and efficient check-in and we were shown to our rooms in the Abbey Court wing. Room was smallish but it was what you would expect, had everything you needed. The only thing I would say is that there was no sound proofing at all in the room we stayed in, it sounded as if the people in the next room were in the same room as you.There is wifi in the main areas, but not in the bedrooms. But to be honest its not the sort of place you go to spend your time on the internet, if this is what you want go then and stay somewhere else. The staff were so nice, especially the barman in the Library Bar and the night porter on the Sat night. Staff couldn’t have been more helpful or informative about the history of the Castle. We were encouraged to look around the Castle at night time and explore. If you stay there, make sure you go up the hidden creaky stairs to the attic to where The Geraldine Suite is, very atmospheric. We didn’t eat in the restaurant but we did eat both night in the Library Bar and the food was delicious. Can highly recommend the steak, cooked to perfection. The Library Bar is a great place to sit and relax over a nice drink and soak up the atmosphere. Overall a very relaxing few days with my wonderful man in an amazing authentic Castle with great staff, great atmosphere, great food and of course there is also the Monk who didn’t put in an appearance during our stay, maybe next time...........

Room Tip: I believe rooms in the main part of the hotel on the top floor (attic) are the quietest, that is of...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear milliemutt

Thank you for taking the time to review Kinnitty Castle Hotel and for your positive and kind notes. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay along with the food and staff and I hope to welcome you back to Kinnitty sometime in the future

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Don't believe the negative reviews of Kinnitty. If you are looking for a 5 star resort, then go stay in one. However, if you are looking for a charming, quaint and romantic castle that won't break the bank, Kinnitty is one of your best options in the southern half of Ireland. We searched for weeks for a reasonably priced castle to stay in for our recent vacation to Ireland. All the castles were so unbelievably expensive that we couldn't even think of splurging. Then we found Kinnitty. Still not a wholly inexpensive stay, but compared to other castles in Ireland, this was an exceptional value for a beautiful stay. The castle and the grounds are so charming, which you can see from the moment you come upon the castle from the main road. The front desk staff was exceedingly helpful, even helping us to carry our luggage up a hefty flight of stairs. The rooms are quaint, spacious and comfortable. The food in the bar and in the main dining room was EXCELLENT! Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all delicious. The courtyard is just perfect, whether you're just strolling through or having a drink at one of the tables. The ONLY negatives were that we had a quirky shower that leaked onto the floor, we could hear the bar patrons as we were trying to go to sleep (though that's because our room was situated right over the bar, so I'm sure not all the rooms have the same experience), and we were disappointed that the Dungeon Bar was only open on the weekends, and we had a mid-week stay. That said, none of those things would deter me from recommending Kinnity Castle Hotel to anyone! Stay here for a great stay and great value!

Room Tip: Request a room that is not near or above any of the common areas if you want a quieter stay.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CurlyGirl19

Dear CurlyGirl 19

Thank you for your positive review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to Kinnitty Castle Hotel and you also enjoyed the uniqueness of the building. We are currently working towards refurbishing all our shower facilities so thank you for noticing.

Warmest regards
Cavan Dunne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
9 mi away
The Maltings
The Maltings
#2 of 3 in Birr

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!