“lovely b&b and very welcoming to walkers”

Ardmore Country House
Ranked #2 of 2 Kinnitty B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Myself and my husband stayed here for a night on the october bank holiday weekend. We had had a long day's walking and the owner christine got a fire going for us, offered us tea etc. The highlight however was the breakfast. THe homemade cheese scones were delicious. Highly recommend it. Catherine

1  Thank Catherine P
There are newer reviews for Ardmore Country House

Reviewed 31 October 2013

I'm from Brazil and I was living in Ireland with my boyfriend for seven month in Ireland when we decided to travel to Kinnity to visit the Leap castle and other places near this fantastic village.We decided to stay with Chris in her Country house and we didn't regret.She is an amazing hostess and helped us in everything she could, including the visit to the fantastic Leap Castle.
I'll never forget the days we spent in this house!

Chris, if you read this someday: Thank you very mutch and we'll come back some day, and maybe with a big family as you suggested us!(rssssss)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013

I recently had the pleasure of staying in this B&B for a weekend whilst attending a family wedding. My husband and I had an amazing stay here - having travelled up from the South-East we were well and truly in a home away from home.
The hostess was most hospitable and made our stay there most enjoyable. This was a weekend away I will never forget, it was almost like the feeling you get when you went to your Grandmothers house as a child - the homemade jams, and scones etc - being waved off at the door was also a heartwarming touch.
In relation to the house itself - the bed was extremely comfortable, I can honestly say it was the best night sleep I have ever had. They do say never judge a book by it's cover, but I think you can judge a house by it's shower - which was the strongest, most luxurious shower I have ever been in.
I must admit I would never have thought of a weekend away in Kinnitty prior to the wedding - but after the wonderful time we had in this homely haven - an imminent return is likely. The Ardmore Country House provides a loving, warm, and hearty experience which one would treasure forever.

1  Thank Breda M
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I was very surprised to read the last post on Ardmore House , it actually sounds nothing like Chris or the type of hospitality experienced by most reviewers on this site. My experience of this beautiful country house was magical! Chris couldn't do enough for me or my family who all stayed the the night before my wedding in Kinnitty Castle during the summer. We basically had the house to ourselves but she was always on hand to offer us a cup of tea. She went over and beyond the call of duty. She located cufflinks for my dad who forgot his own. She helped decorate the grooms car with ribbons down in Kinnitty village when he was all of a fluster! You name it, Chris got it done! The rooms were clean and very comfortable. the breakfast was DELICIOUS and went on for about 3 hours due to the comings and goings of the bridal party! Chris even offered tea to family members who only arrived down that morning and weren't staying there. My 2 young children were allowed roam around the gardens and were made to feel very welcome. It was like going to stay with a relative in her beautiful country home which is full of character and a magical place for a bride to be in the nervous hours before the ceremony! Chris was enthusiastic and took photos and was just a pleasure to deal with. On top of all of this, one of our wedding guests had a puncture in her car tyre which Chris noticed and helped to get repaired. Fabulous warm hospitality in a gorgeous home! Cant wait to go back!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
slievebloom B, Owner at Ardmore Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2013

Ursula, thank you for the lovely review. It was a pleasure having you and your family stay and I was delighted ton be able to help in a small way to make your big day a success. Looking forward to having you back. Chris

Reviewed 8 October 2013

Stayed here for three nights and was very impressed with it. The house is just lovely, lots of character, and it was super clean. The bedrooms were spacious and very comfortable - I slept really well. The hospitality was so warm, we were greeted with tea and homemade treats; Christine is a wonderful host. I would definitely go back and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
slievebloom B, Owner at Ardmore Country House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Thank you very much for the lovely review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Ardmore Country House Kinnitty. I hope me meet again on your next trip to Ireland.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here with the bride (my sister) the night before her wedding as the setting does make for a lovely family home. On arrival the host made it quiet clear that the bride is only allowed get ready in the kitchen incase the bedrooms got dirty or damaged in any way. As we were going out for a meal that night we requested that champagne flutes be left out for a nightcap when we come home, however we got home at 10pm and had no glasses. We eventually found some when the host arrived back and was quick to take them off us, stating that they were 60euro each and too expensive for us to use. We had to drink Moët out of wine glasses. The morning of the wedding myself and the bride were up early (7.30) to find no host to even have a cup of tea or coffee. When the host finally arrived my sister was forced to get ready in a kitchen full of smoke and fry odour, the hairdresser couldn't work so eventually we had to move to the sitting room but were warned we had to pay for any damage, the make up artist wasn't even allowed have a cup of tea at the sitting room table incase she spilt it?!? To make things worse... The host had booked plumbers for the morning of the wedding which left a few people without showers or any water for 2 hours !
The cost of the room was 40euro per person which is a reasonable price for the standard of B&B and caters for 10 people, however even though there was only 8 of us we were forced to pay for the extra spare room.
Our family friend stayed here the night if the wedding and had the same opinion, the house was beautiful but the hospitality leaves a lot to be desired.

• Stayed: September 2013

I am sorry your stay at Ardmore Country House was not to your satisfaction. Ardmore Country House is a bed and breakfast and I try to provide a welcoming service for all guests. Prior to booking the pre wedding night, I discussed with your sister the arrangements that I could provide for her to bring along her own hairdresser and make up artist. There is no extra charge for providing facilities for this service. The house is decorated to a high standard with antique furniture and quality bed linen. In the past I have offered hairdressers and make up artists the use the bedrooms but regrettably have had to withdraw this facility as furniture has been damaged and bed linen destroyed.
When you arrived you were offered tea or coffee but your party declined as you were going out to dinner. Despite having something else to do that evening I was happy to facilitate the bride by waiting for a couple of hours to take delivery of some dresses for her and placing them in the room unoccupied bedroom for her. When your party arrived back from the restaurant I was in the kitchen and had the champagne glasses ready for you. I would have been very happy to provide them for you had you knocked to let me know you were back. I was rather taken aback that you had searched uninvited in my drinks cabinet and removed some Waterford Glass champagne glasses. As you had already poured your drinks into the wine glasses provided on the guest trolley I did not think you required the champagne glasses.
On the morning of the wedding, breakfast was requested and provided from 8.00am. Tea making facilities are provided in the guest lounge at any time. However you proceeded to the kitchen and helped yourselves there. Had you requested breakfast earlier I would have been very happy to provide it for you.
I offered tea/coffee to the make up artist when she arrived and again later. When I brought it to her she indicated to leave it down on the table on some white towels that had been taken from the bedrooms. I provided her with a place mat to place it on.
Unfortunately as will happen on occasion things will break down and usually at the most inconvenient time. A plumber had worked all the previous day to repair a shower to have it ready for guest use. He had to come back at 9.30 am in the morning to finish off what could not be done the day before. He assured me it would only take a few minutes but it did take longer. I do apologise for this inconvenience.
The bride booked all the rooms in the house and did not cancel any of them prior to, or on arrival. The extra room you refer to was used by your party to store some of your belongings on arrival and on the morning of the wedding by members of the wedding party. I also provided the use of a self-catering cottage for extra family members to change prior to the wedding. The complete wedding party was facilitated with a very late check out. When your uncle arrived to drive the wedding party he had no opportunity to get breakfast on the way. I was happy to provide him with tea, home made brown bread and cheese. All of these services were provided at no extra charge.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 23 September 2013

We were attending a wedding at the nearby Kinnity Castle and required accommodation for a single night. There are several B&B's in the immediate vicinity; most of which approximate to the same price level (€35 - €40 ppn). We chose to stay at Ardmore Country House on the basis of the excellent reviews and the photos we had seen online.

Ardmore Country House certainly did not disappoint. Prior to arriving Christina contacted me to advise she would be in the garden working at the time of arrival and if we couldn't see her to just give her a quick ring. On arrival she had a warm welcome and showed us to a beautiful room upstairs. We arranged for breakfast to be prepared for 9am; however conscious that our travel plans were subject to change, she advised us that we could text her mobile at any time to amend this - a very nice gesture.

Kinnity Castle is very near by - one could definitely walk it in under 30min; however with my partner in high heels we got a lift from another wedding guest. To return at 2am, we were happily surprised that a local minibus driver / taxi was available to ferry guests from the hotel to the village. The fare was just €2.50 each.

The next morning, we enjoyed an excellent breakfast. I had the full Irish and my partner had the Kilbeggan Oats with Tullamore Dew. The food was superb and the ingredients of good provenience (local, organic, free range etc.) and Christina had the perfect balance of being very attentive / offering fresh toast, tea etc., whilst at the same time leaving her guests to enjoy at a relaxed leisurely pace.

The main visitor room in the house is beautifully furnished and there is an abundance of guidebooks, maps and aids for anyone seeking to walk in the local area [Slieve Bloom]. We've previously walked in the area on a number of occasions and would recommend it highly.

The actual bedroom we stayed in was lovingly furnished and Christina has been very adapt at ensuring practical considerations are taken care of. A good example was that a packet of wipes was available in the room. After a night at a wedding, my partner found these very handy to remove make up! There was also fresh water available in the room and plenty of space [wardrobe, lockers, dressing table].

My biggest challenge was that on leaving my partner repeatedly asked could we buy a house like Ardmore! I reminded her that on arrival, Christina was outside with an electric hedge trimmer working hard on top of a ladder - to keep a place like this so beautiful takes enormous work and is a credit to Christina.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a nice review. I really appreciate it. Guided walks every weekend all year should you feel like another break in the Slieve Blooms. Will have the flasks, maps and walking poles ready for you !!

Christina

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to Ardmore Country House? Share your experiences!