“Good base for touring Lincoln”

Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Hykeham
Reviewed 20 March 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights at the weekend as a base to explore Lincoln. We had booked into a standard room, but decided to upgrade when we checked in (at nominal cost) and had the lovely 4 poster Abie Suite. This is not what you would call a luxurious or quaint or picturesque hotel, but it was spacious, clean, quiet and the staff went out of their way to be helpful, especially when I made a special request in the restaurant. We had thought that we might take a taxi and eat out in Lincoln in the evening, but having driven in during the day, we decided that it was a little too far for a return taxi trip (20 mins approx each way in traffic). We didnt get to use the gym/pool etc but we did have a look around and fitness suite in general looked very nice. Overall, a decent hotel to use as a base, probably more ideally suited to weddings, parties, business trips etc.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2013

Thank you for your kind review re your stay with us .
I am delighted the staff came up to to your expectations and that you enjoyed your dinner in the restaurant.
Many satisfied customers don't take the time to write a review therefore I must thank you again for writing yours and I hope we will see you again un the future.
Best wishes

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa

Reviewed 18 March 2013

I booked The Bentley primarily because it was a Best Western and have previously stayed in lovely hotels which lived up to their current tag line of ‘Hotels with personality’. The Bentley doesn’t. The rooms aspire to be your budget Travel Inn/Lodge styling but don’t reach even that standard. They are spacious and clean but plan & boring. The bathroom is small but functional, not 4 star quality. They definitely need to review their laundry service as the towels were not white & fluffy, grey and flat is not appealing.

I suppose the welcome we got in checking in should have had alarms bells ringing, certainly not a warm welcome and never before have I been offered an upgrade for £10 a night on checking in. I’d booked the hotel as a weekend treat for my husband’s birthday so the suggestion that I could pay a little more for a better room in front of him wasn’t appreciated.

We found the hotel quite hard to find as just putting the post code in the Sat Nav took us into a small cul de sac. It’s actually in a complex with a garden centre but the signage (in green not Best Western’s colours) is very easy to miss coming off a busy roundabout when approaching from Newark.

The room initially was freezing, it was only after reading a review on this site that I found the controls. No mention of the heating controls anywhere in the hotel information pack. Although given having the heating on was like having a plane take off in your room I can perhaps understand why they don’t draw attention to it.

We had drinks in the bar before our evening meal, which we were discouraged from booking as they weren’t busy. For what is a significant sized hotel the bar was underwhelming. No choice of gin and when I requested lime not a slice of lemon, they couldn’t oblige as they didn’t have any limes. My husband had 2 choices of beer none of which were local or regional. As were charging it to the room, the bar man had to hand write our order for me to sign – I’d hate to be there in the week when a groups of businessmen are there.

The restaurant wasn’t busy so we were almost overwhelmed by the number of staff and the efficiency of service. We choose from the Table d’hote menu which was good value and varied. The a la carte menu had some very nice and different choices but also some very dated ones too – sun dried tomatoes, flambé and crepe suzette. The food was however delicious.

On the Saturday morning again the restaurant was almost empty. Our waitress was a lovely more mature woman who managed to be fussy without being overly intrusive a hard combination to get right but she did. Unfortunately again for a 4 star the breakfast didn’t quite live up to expectations. Reconstituted orange juice which tasted like the worst cheap orange squash and cheap overly sweet yogurts. The selection of cereals and fruit was small but acceptable as the hotel was obviously almost empty. They do get full marks for serving proper Lincolnshire sausages though. The Sunday service wasn’t quite so nice as the Restaurant Manager was on duty and seemed to create chaos for the waiting staff by interfering and ordering them around.

I have comment on the décor throughout the hotel. It was quite bizarre, the corridors were full of photos on canvases which I can only assume are the failed entries in the worst holiday snaps competition. They were neither pretty, unique or interesting. Also taking a boring picture and cutting it into 3 does not make an interesting piece of art. Triptych work well as one piece in a room not dozens, as in the dining room. There was even a really scary, slightly freaky one in the room of 2 blue hands which almost glowed. They really do need to employ the services of an interior designer – urgently.

We did use the pool and gym. The gym was very well stocked albeit with machines which are about 15 years old. They were absolutely fine but being so old lacked some of the features you’d find in most hotel gyms. There was even a bit of kit I haven’t seen in a gym since my days at University. But it was a lovely large and very clean gym. The pool was a good size, the changing rooms and sauna a little small but as they weren’t busy it wasn’t an issue during our stay. My husband had a massage in the Beauty Spa, which was perfect and well priced. The girls in the Beauty Spa couldn’t have been more pleasant and helpful if they tried.

Even having sampled all the facilities, overall our stay at the Bentley wasn’t good value and with no grandeur or special location I wouldn’t stay there again.

1  Thank Itsysmum
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2013

Thank you for your review .
Its obvious you did not like any part of the hotel, for that I'm sorry .
One can't please all of the people all of the time. I wish we could.

We all try very hard and 99 % of the time we succeed as you can see by our other reviews.

We didn't please you so there's not much more I can say
Hopefully one day you will find a hotel that will suit all your requirements.
CW

Reviewed 17 March 2013

First let me declare an interest. I was lucky enough to win a stay at this hotel recently, but I will certainly be paying to return in the not too distant future!
Rooms are well-maintained, extremely comfortable and the spa and leisure facilities are great. Breakfast will certainly set you up for the day, with an extremely generous buffet plus you can order extra items.......Recommend their poached eggs!
Friendly, helpful staff, very large car park and plenty of dining/ drinking options both in the hotel and around the village. Recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2013

Many thanks for your recent review of your stay with us here at the Bentley.
Our team are grateful for your comments ,they work hard to keep standards high and are always keen to hear customers reports. Happy clients are a delight to serve and I am so pleased you won the prize and will be returning .
We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Kindest regards
Carole Wootton
PS I love my job and comments like yours make it all worthwhile.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Had an amazing spa day last week which included an indulgent lunch provided by the Bentley hotel. My very reasonably priced day included a full days use of the spa, swimming pool and gym, lunch, a massage and I also decided to add a manicure onto my day experience as I had been bought a voucher for Christmas so that was a bonus. Everything at the spa and hotel was brilliant, facilities were spotless and I was exceptionally happy with every aspect of my experience at the Bentley hotel and spa. Staff were more than accommodating and couldnt do enough for me! I can't wait for my next visit and would reccomend the spa and hotel to anyone!

• Stayed: March 2013
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2013

Many thanks for your lovely review .
It is good to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your day at The Bentley. Chef will be pleased to hear of how much you enjoyed your meals .
The team are extremely aware of cleanliness and your words enforce the efforts they put in.
I will also pass on your compliments to the spa
I hope it won't be too long before you visit us again

Sincerely

Reviewed 6 March 2013

Nice hotel, good facilities - visited Beauty Spa and Health Club. Management and staff very helpful and friendly.

Very attentative and hard working. Good location on A46 near Lincoln. Good choice of Hotel.

Ian and Carole the perfect hosts.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind review . We are all delighted you like the hotel and will pass your comments on to the people concerned. I hope you will visit us again soon.
Best wishes

Reviewed 4 March 2013

Really nice time in the hotel and spa. Lovely staff in the hotel and fantastic treatments by lovely staff in the spa. Couldn't ask for more lovely welcoming service by all and lovely food at great prices!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Jemimajumps
Bentley82, Owner at Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2013

What a wonderful review . Thank you so much.
Your comments are appreciated by all of us, especially the team who made your stay such a happy one.
Please visit us again very soon.
Very Best wishes

Reviewed 2 March 2013

I have just returned from a visit to the Beauty Spa at the Bentley. The girls there are so friendly and welcoming and I cannot recommend them enough. Thank you to Abby, Ruby and the girls for fantastic service, and a lovely atmosphere. Definitely will be returning very soon

Mandy, Lincoln

#9 of 14 in Lincoln
The White Hart
The White Hart
#10 of 14 in Lincoln

Been to Best Western Plus Bentley Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!